Recon Marines Enter=====>>> - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Great story Lynn2. Those were probably some great times.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    had a few that went threw recon training...but when the got to nam the were dispursed threwout our company....all that training and they were just grunts like the rest of us...
    and we werent just grunts..we were Marines...

we looked that way after two months in the que son mountans during the monsoons...very little supply or medavac....felt like sh1t..had mold growing on our cammies...un shaved ,durty, ragged....they put us in tents way away frome everyone eles.and just left us alone for 4 or 5 days....let us get plumb sht faced...then when we was all sick and hung over they came and asked...asked... us to clean up and look like marines....we did

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Thumbs up The Pathfinders...

Never met a Force Recon either in the 'Nam or Back in the World that did not consider Himself a Grunt...I know I was one of Five that were with India Co. 3/26 My Co.was,My Plt.Commander was and us other 3 Peons were.I loved walking Point too just get away from the Cluster Fuc.Semper~Fidelis~"Long Live Force" OOHRAH

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    at least at point you knew what was going on....sometimes me and the second man took care of it befor anyone else got there...then have ta splane what all the shootin was about...point was good..rathole was bad....wouldnt touch a woman for 6 months after i got home...so leary of dark holes

Quote Originally Posted by CplAllen View Post
    Great story Lynn2. Those were probably some great times.
    One dark night I said to a now dead Marine buddy that if I ever looked back on these times with anything but dread I would shoot myself.

But the fact is that like child birth and kidney stones that pain passes.

I hated it. But would not have changed a thing.

And when I was given an honorable chance to leave the Team and take the biggest skate job in the BN, after 10 months or so in the field, I took a pass. A love-hate relationship for sure.

I never want to ever forget how much I hated that stuff and how miserable it was. That is the only way to keep the memories honest.

Then it was eat the apple. Today its Semper Fi.

But then today I am a fat soft (ok not all that fat) REMF. And one who can no longer remember what that pain and misery actually felt like.

Doc

And look I do not think for a moment we thought we were better than other grunts. We had nothing but professional repsect for the infantry guys. And, except when we were doing some kind of DA, we realized we were nothing but support for the infantry.

We did think that going out "there" in 4-10-15 man Teams was pretty special though.

Even we we did not make contact being out "there" with only 3 Team mates that was still pretty darn stressful.

I can still work up a cold sweat today if I put my mind to it just thinking about getting ready to go back out.

Credits
    Savings
    All solid answers.
    Definately a stressful period.
    Reward was still brething at the end of mission.

Credits
    Savings
    3rd Recon was a Div. Recon and in 60 & 61 we still did some cool things.
    Like working with the 8 men boats and going off submarines in the middle of the night three miles out. paddling in till we were 1mile out from the
    beach and then sending scout swimmers in and sitting there waiting for
    the signal to come in. Then doing the mission and getting back in the boats and going out three miles and sitting there and waiting for the sub to resurface in the middle of the night. All & all it was really cool stuff.

I will tell you I am in nothing but awe of the Marines and Docs that are in the Recon Community today. I have read far to much about the selection process and the pipeline to be otherwise.

But I wonder if there will ever be a high point for recon work as there was between 1965 and the early 1970's?

I would venture to say that no war before VN was as dependent on small teams. And maybe no war will be after.

Partially its the jungle fighting then. And while we may see troops back in the jungles in a big way I wonder if the technology (drones etc) will not have taken some of the Team action away.

A few years back I got put in touch with a 2nd Recon Operator who was in Iraq. He went on and on about how his guys were envious of the type of work we were able to do back in the day. That exchange got me to thinking.

Not as well trained not as highly vetted we still may have been involved in the high water mark for our type of work.

There were one hell of a lot of small teams (Army, Navy, and Marines) out in the field 24/7/365 during VN.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn2 View Post
    I will tell you I am in nothing but awe of the Marines and Docs that are in the Recon Community today. I have read far to much about the selection process and the pipeline to be otherwise.

But I wonder if there will ever be a high point for recon work as there was between 1965 and the early 1970's?

I would venture to say that no war before VN was as dependent on small teams. And maybe no war will be after.

Partially its the jungle fighting then. And while we may see troops back in the jungles in a big way I wonder if the technology (drones etc) will not have taken some of the Team action away.

A few years back I got put in touch with a 2nd Recon Operator who was in Iraq. He went on and on about how his guys were envious of the type of work we were able to do back in the day. That exchange got me to thinking.

Not as well trained not as highly vetted we still may have been involved in the high water mark for our type of work.

There were one hell of a lot of small teams (Army, Navy, and Marines) out in the field 24/7/365 during VN.

Many of the articles I've read have indicated the same thing. I know they have done a lot of mounted patrols and route recon (as much as LAR units) for us in Iraq. One of the problems faced for dismounted patrols is that there is less cover and patrolling in an urban environment means you are constantly exposed. I'll guess it completely changes everything.

There's still a lot of special reconnaissance that goes on, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Recon community evolves away from the VN era. Drones make a huge difference for us, but consider that many countries and organizations are working on their own drones. This will make traditional recon teams even more vulnerable in time.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Recon folks learning to work with drones and other information gathering even more, developing intel and acting on it even more. I know that there's a book coming out about Marine Detachment 1 and the Intel section is described the author as 'perhaps the most surprising element' by the author.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I was in Bravo Company, 3rd Recon Bn. We were detached from the rest of the Battalion and stationed at Kaneohe Air Station, Hawaii. The rest of the battalion was on Okinowa.

A group of instructors came from Coronado to conduct a 6 week course in amphibious recon. One of them was a "Gunny" named Aiken, who was the kind of Marine we all wished we could be, the kind of person you would find in the dictionary under "Marine".

We swam a mile every morning before chow, did PT afterwords, spent countless hours swimming through surf, paddling rubber boats through surf, followed by daytime and nightime orienteering classes through rough terrain.

Along with the other members of the 3 line platoons, we were joined by three members of the army: a 2nd Lt. and two NCO's. After the first week, the two NCO's washed out-the PT and swimming were too much for them. The 2nd Louie was a good man and stayed with us all the way to the finish of the school. I wish I could remember his name.

I am as proud of the certificate of completion of that 6 week course as I am of my B.A. They hang side-by-side on my wall.

Thread Information