MOS Needs/Advice - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by devildame View Post
    Pretty sure officers do not have an MOS. They are just officers, in charge of lots and lots of paperwork that all the enlisted do. Or pilots. Why do you want to be an officer? Prestige, money...? If you want to be a mustang (enlisted to officer) its actually better to be in you MOS for a while. Your higher-ups will not push a MSEP package through until you have demonstrated yourself as a Marine, few years you're looking at.

Are you serious? Not only do officers have MOS's, but he threw one out there...0203...also 0302...those are just off the top of my head...FYSA SF

Quote Originally Posted by PaidinBlood View Post
    Are you serious? Not only do officers have MOS's, but he threw one out there...0203...also 0302...those are just off the top of my head...FYSA SF
    OK! No, I was not joking, but obviously misinformed, and now corrected. I was told that officers do not get MOS designations like enlisted do. Thank you for the check.

Credits
    Savings
    It's all good...Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by StrikeQ View Post
    That actually hasn't been the case for at least a few years, or so I've read/heard on this forum and others. Something about a MARADMIN taking precedent over some other regulation? Which states there is no rank requirement. There isn't even a time in service requirement (anymore if there was one).
    I have no problem with a poolee correcting a Marine on current affairs in the Corps, but if you are going to do so, be sure you're locked and loaded before you post. For example, giving us the specific MARADMIN would be a good start.

The Marines have been exceeding their enlistment goals way ahead of schedule to meet there 202,000 Marines. However there is still a huge need for officers so acceptance and requirements for the commissioning programs have been easier to pass. That isn't to say it's been made easier to graduate.
    The Corps met their goals of 202,000, that is correct. Now that they have met their goal, and that we are officially withdrawing from one of our two fronts, they are already starting to scale down the size of the Corps. So, what you said might be true, I don't personally know about the numbers of officers. But I do know that since they are starting to scale down the Corps, that they likely aren't as pressed for officers as when we were trying to get up to 202,000, for example. Hope this makes sense.

Recruiter offered to give me the Direct Language Battery Aptitude test I think, which I may take him up on. However a crypto linguist is even lower on the list I'd say.
    It is Defense Language Aptitude Battery. It is designed to measure you ability to learn foreign languages, in general. There is also the Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT), which measures your current proficiency in a given language, if you already think you have a good base in it. The DLAB is the most difficult test I have ever taken.

Dlab

The DLAB is crazy! I speak Spanish (not native), and a bit of German, even less of Arabic. I like languages, find them interesting, even thought I had a certain aptitude for picking them up. But not according to the DLAB. I don't think there is any way to prepare for this test; even multi-lingual Marines I know have not passed it. My score was only high enough to qualify for a waiver, haha. I was so insulted

Quote Originally Posted by JWDevilDog View Post
    I have no problem with a poolee correcting a Marine on current affairs in the Corps, but if you are going to do so, be sure you're locked and loaded before you post. For example, giving us the specific MARADMIN would be a good start.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIBLO7 View Post
    To answer your question no, there is no rank requirement for MECEP. The MCO states that there is, however, the annual MARADMIN overrides the MCO. Paragraph 6.B. says there is no rank requirement. Look at MARADMIN 270/08 or 191/07 for some old examples. It could change in the future but it has been this way for a few years.
    Don't believe I've seen one for FY10 posted yet is why I didn't post it.

The Corps met their goals of 202,000, that is correct. Now that they have met their goal, and that we are officially withdrawing from one of our two fronts, they are already starting to scale down the size of the Corps. So, what you said might be true, I don't personally know about the numbers of officers. But I do know that since they are starting to scale down the Corps, that they likely aren't as pressed for officers as when we were trying to get up to 202,000, for example. Hope this makes sense.
    Very true, all I can say is what the Gunny at MEPS told me: that the Corps was looking to get to 202,000 Marines by 2012 or so and are already there for their enlisted goals however their officer goals still haven't been met, however they are on track to hit their goal as planned by 2012.

It is Defense Language Aptitude Battery. It is designed to measure you ability to learn foreign languages, in general. There is also the Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT), which measures your current proficiency in a given language, if you already think you have a good base in it. The DLAB is the most difficult test I have ever taken.
    Thank you for the correction. Currently English is the only language I'm proficient in so I wouldn't need to take the DLPT. As for taking the DLAB I'm still not sure. Wouldn't mind learning another language to go along with the job, though I don't really want to be a cryptologist linguist. Though I'd think there is more than that MOS available while given a second language, that is the one the recruiter indicated when he mentioned the test.

YAT YAS!!! MCM PLT! H&S Co. 3rd AABN!!!!

Don't believe I've seen one for FY10 posted yet is why I didn't post it.
    That's fine. You could very well be right, but I know that many Marines and poolees are interested in the same sort of thing, which is why giving the MARADMIN is helpful. Keep us posted if you learn what it is (I won't be following it as it doesn't pertain to me in the least anymore).

Very true, all I can say is what the Gunny at MEPS told me: that the Corps was looking to get to 202,000 Marines by 2012 or so and are already there for their enlisted goals however their officer goals still haven't been met, however they are on track to hit their goal as planned by 2012.
    Well, it follows to reason that if they are downsizing the enlisted portion of the Corps, then it is not necessary to continue to enlarge the officer portion as well. Sustainment should be sufficient, because what happens along down the road when we have much fewer enlisted Marines and a whole heap of officers running around?

I'm not saying you're wrong. Just saying that logically getting more officers while getting fewer enlisted doesn't really work out.

Thank you for the correction. Currently English is the only language I'm proficient in so I wouldn't need to take the DLPT. As for taking the DLAB I'm still not sure. Wouldn't mind learning another language to go along with the job, though I don't really want to be a cryptologist linguist. Though I'd think there is more than that MOS available while given a second language, that is the one the recruiter indicated when he mentioned the test.
    As I said, the DLAB is the hardest test I have ever taken. As the Cpl. said, there is no way to prepare for the test. Either you pass it, or you don't. There is no last minute cramming, it is impossible to cheat on, and you can't learn in advance for it.

The MOS fields that a second language might be of use are:
    02xx (Intelligence)
    26xx (Signals Intelligence/Ground Electronic Warfare)
    27xx (Linguist)

Those are the only fields, that I know of, that might send a large number of their Marines to the DLI to learn another language. Other MOS's might send onesies and twosies to the DLI, but it is not likely for many to be sent.

You can read about them here:
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlis...marinejobs.htm

Thread Information