Please Help a Mom Understand
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Please Help a Mom Understand

I hope I'm posting in the correct forum. I've unsuccessfully searched for these answers and I'm hoping somebody here can help. My son is a "wannabee", soon to turn 17 and go to his first MEPS. He will be in DEP as soon as he turns 17. He has already taken the ASVABs in school and did quite well. At our first meeting with the recruiter, my son told him that he wanted an infantry MOS and the recruiter started shaking his head "No" immediately. He said he wouldn't put him in an infantry MOS unless that was the only way my son would sign. My son wants to be a Marine, he has always wanted to be a Marine, and in the end I know he doesn't really care what MOS he has. But he also wants to be a grunt, at least for the first part of his career. He says that after the first enlistment he would consider a lat move to maybe MSG or something, more to satisfy Mom's desire for him to have a "marketable" training than anything. But my question is this: why would the recruiter so adamently oppose him joining as an 03XX?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Short answer....03xx is an easy Mos for a recruter to fill. He would like to fill a harder position. Hold out for what you want. you have a long ways to go anyway.

Yes, if your son scored well enough on the ASVAB to fill a harder MOS billet his recruiter will try to get him into a slot he has difficulty filling.

03's are highly "marketable" in the Law Enforcement sector, which is a very rewarding career. I know many a Marine- 03 who took that path. One is now an Assistant Chief in SoCal and the other a retired training Officer with L.A.P.D.

Quote Originally Posted by kschmidt View Post
    I hope I'm posting in the correct forum. I've unsuccessfully searched for these answers and I'm hoping somebody here can help. My son is a "wannabee", soon to turn 17 and go to his first MEPS. He will be in DEP as soon as he turns 17. He has already taken the ASVABs in school and did quite well. At our first meeting with the recruiter, my son told him that he wanted an infantry MOS and the recruiter started shaking his head "No" immediately. He said he wouldn't put him in an infantry MOS unless that was the only way my son would sign. My son wants to be a Marine, he has always wanted to be a Marine, and in the end I know he doesn't really care what MOS he has. But he also wants to be a grunt, at least for the first part of his career. He says that after the first enlistment he would consider a lat move to maybe MSG or something, more to satisfy Mom's desire for him to have a "marketable" training than anything. But my question is this: why would the recruiter so adamently oppose him joining as an 03XX?
    Truth be told I don't really understand it either, except knowing that the needs of the Corps come first. But even still, if the kid wants to get infantry then he should be able to, especially if the parents are supportive.

Sounds like a selfish recruiter, but who am I.

Welcome here Ma'am. Your questions and concerns are important, we will asnwer these questions to the best of our ability. Thank you for being a concerned and supportive parent to a possible future Marine.
    As stated above, getting an 03xx MOS is not hard. The recruiter, most likely, was trying to see if he could place your son in a harder-to-fill MOS. This is not a slam on the recruiter, he has a VERY important job. The media and video games play up the grunt's role (03xx MOS) in the Marine Corps. It is what most civilians see. Therefore when junior wants to join the Marine Corps, naturally it is the grunt (03xx MOS) that is most requested making the recruiter's job harder.
    Be proud of your son's decision to be a Marine.

Well you can't lat move into MSG but it may be possible for him to lat move into another MOS. The problem is when that time comes, who knows where the Marine Corps will be when it comes to incitives. Before the war there were not many incintives and you COULD NOT LAT MOVE unless your MOS was closed. He will have more success doing something he wants to do. If he is dead set on the 03xx field then there is nothing wrong with that. If he does well he will have the opportunity for some great schools that some other MOS' do not get. If he has a skill or desires to acquire a skill then go for that.

Good Luck

Ok, let me clarify some things here. As a former recruiter we did NOT have a hard time filling the UH (infantry) program. Also, a recruiter does NOT hold out to fill a harder MOS. That is NOT true. Each recruiter is not assigned to fill certain programs. The programs are available for the WHOLE RS. For example, I was a recruiter in Arizona, all the programs were opened to all the applicants in Arizona. Jobs were first come first serve for an individual. I put in more aviation mechanics than any other MOS.Each recruiting station is given a certain amount of programs to fill every fiscal year. Those programs are opened to ALL in the RS. So, the RS I worked for was RS PHoenix, which would be ALL of Arizona. We are NOT given jobs to fill, yes we do have an enlistment quota every month but jobs are NOT part of that. It could be that the recruiter felt that you did not want your son to go infantry so he said no. It could be that the month your son ships to boot cam there are no more UH slots. There could be a number of reasons like that, but simply saying that a recruiter is holding out to "fill" a harder to fill slot is false. Recruiters want to put your son in a job that he is happy about.

Why not, as his mother, go to the Recruiter and open the lines of communication a little wider. Tell him how you feel. Ask him why he was so adamant. I bet you his intentions are honorable. Just seems that there needs to be more honest discussions between you, your son, and the Recruiter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Baker View Post
    Why not, as his mother, go to the Recruiter and open the lines of communication a little wider. Tell him how you feel. Ask him why he was so adamant. I bet you his intentions are honorable. Just seems that there needs to be more honest discussions between you, your son, and the Recruiter.
    Some very good advice.

Your son's scores tell the Corps alot about his skills, math, problem solving, stuff like that. Have the recruiter get all the info he can on other MOS's. Also tell your son this, every Marine is a basic rifleman.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond. We will definately be meeting with the recruiter again soon and I will ask him for clarification. I have talked to my son many times since our first meeting; the kid just really wants infantry. Nothing else. I can do nothing BUT support him; after all, that's my job. I've raised him to be an honorable young man, to know his mind and to be strong and independent. How can I back down from that now? What I am having difficulty with is the response from well-meaning people ( I guess they are well-meaning!), who sort of cringe and shake their heads in disbelief that I support my son in his decision to be a Marine. Do I want him hurt or killed? Of course not. It's like they think I'm a bad mother because I want him to go, follow his dreams. I guess I just don't get it.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kschmidt View Post
    Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond. We will definately be meeting with the recruiter again soon and I will ask him for clarification. I have talked to my son many times since our first meeting; the kid just really wants infantry. Nothing else. I can do nothing BUT support him; after all, that's my job. I've raised him to be an honorable young man, to know his mind and to be strong and independent. How can I back down from that now? What I am having difficulty with is the response from well-meaning people ( I guess they are well-meaning!), who sort of cringe and shake their heads in disbelief that I support my son in his decision to be a Marine. Do I want him hurt or killed? Of course not. It's like they think I'm a bad mother because I want him to go, follow his dreams. I guess I just don't get it.
    Ma'am, you are one of the fewest of the few! I whole heartedly appreciate your support for your son's decision! So many people have the wrong idea about the Marines. The major difference in the Marines and the other branches is we are the best, and we know it! That's not conceit, Ma'am, that's a fact!

FYI, all slots normally open up on October 1, so keep that in mind also, just in case the recruiter says all slots for 03XX are full at present. Your son doesn't have to sign up until he gets what he wants. Don't feel pressured to sign up for something he don't want.

Semper Fi Ma'am, and good luck to you and your son.

Dave

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I just want to say it's awesome that you're so involved and interested in your son's enlistment process. During the nearly three years I've been a member here I can't tell you how many 'How do I convince my parents?' threads I've seen.

Listen to these Marines and heed their advice. And keep being a supportive mom. He may not tell you now, but, I bet ya a steak dinner your son is stoked that you've got his back on this.

Keep us posted as you continue through the process with your son and good luck.

If your son wants to be a grunt and he scored well enough have him consider 0211 or something in the intel field. They deploy often with the grunts and it is quite maretable when he gets out as well

Thread Information