Quick question regarding Scout Swimmers
Create Post

Quick question regarding Scout Swimmers

Hello Marines,

I was watching Mail Call the other day, and he talked about the boat companies and how Scout Swimmers are attached to them.

Is this an actual MOS? Or is it sort of a side job sort of deal?

I read somewhere they picked people that were Zodiac boat coxswains and Recon.

I was wondering looking to get more information regarding this.

Thanks everyone.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zurmi View Post
    Hello Marines,

I was watching Mail Call the other day, and he talked about the boat companies and how Scout Swimmers are attached to them.

Is this an actual MOS? Or is it sort of a side job sort of deal?

I read somewhere they picked people that were Zodiac boat coxswains and Recon.

I was wondering looking to get more information regarding this.

Thanks everyone.
    It's a school grunts can take. A quick Google will answer all of your questions.

I can only speak on what I have experienced with my company. Normally, a infantry battalion will be divided into 4 main groups. The groups are Heavy Wpns, Helo, Tracks, and Boats. This will allow the infantry battalion to gain the Specail Operations Capable cert before they deploy.

Boat company, which i was part of for 2 deployments, will then have a Coxswain platoon. (Normally, 1st platoon) That platoon will go off and get qualified with the zodiacs. Scout Swimmers were volunteers from the other platoons. We would be tested before being sent to scout swimmer school.

Now, Recon will do all of that as a whole.

hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    It's a school grunts can take. A quick Google will answer all of your questions.
    Yes, I googled it but all I received were articles about how people were being sent to the school.

Wow, thanks Crusader20! That information was great.

So, is there anyway you can get into a boat company? Or is it all sort of luck into what you fall into?

We worked with them a little bit at Coronado and from what i gathered they were the better swimmers in their company, i imagine they probably have some sort of indoc to see who goes to the school.

Thanks martinj. I suppose if one were to get as high of a swim qualification as they could, they'd be more likely to be chosen to go to the Scout Swimmer Course.

Thanks again Marines.

Thread Information