Cowboys and there Tractors
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Cowboys and there Tractors

Good morning I just thought I start a thread about tractors
    When I was growing up my favorite tractor was a Farmall H. When I was able to drive it I would go as fast as I could in fifth gear and try to hit small rocks in the road the the tricycle front end would jump up a little.
    We also had a Massey Ferguson that grandpaw used. The Farmall H was my uncles. We also had a neighbor that had a Farmall M which I also liked but I didn't get to drive it much.
    I also liked cutting wood using the Farmall H by putting the big belt on the pulley and hooking the saw to it. I was too young to do anything much but they would let me push the table arm into the saw while they helped. They always made me feel like I was 10 feet tall.
    My love for tractors has carried on to this day.
    Since Karen and I have been married 14 years this Feb we have had about five different ones. Now I have a Long 460 with a front end loader. Don't know what we would do without the front end loader these days.
    There's a picture of my mom on one of my bigger tractors on my profile pictures.
    Enjoy this thread and I would love to here your stories also
    Semper Fi Redman

I'll be the first to admit that one title I can not claim is that of a cowboy, I can say that playing with tractors is one of the few things I still enjoy.
    I worked as a heavy equipment mechanic for 12 years, and still have both of my tool boxes. My wifes grandmother lives next to us and has given me full control of her tractors, I do all of the maintenance, and a lot of playing with them. The POS of the group is an 80's T25A Belarus, this Russian junk has a 4 cylinder diesel that has as much HP as my lawn mower. The "old Faithful" of the group is a 1956 4D Allis Chalmers, this thing has a gas motor that starts no matter what. Unfortunately it does have the tricycle front end and our land is pretty rough so all we can really use it for is moving hay bales and pulling the Belarus out when it gets stuck.
    My favorite of the group is a 1948 D6 Cat dozer, this bad boy has such a huge diesel motor that back in the day they couldn't build a starter big enough. So instead it has a little gas motor (called a pony motor) attached to the back of the diesel to start it. It has no hydraulics, the blade is run off of a winch motor mounted off the back of the dozer with a cable running around the cage. This thing is awesome, I haven't found a tree yet it can't push over.

Tractors.

when I was a kid, we had a Farmall too. My stepdad put a loader on it, and we used it mostly to clean the chicken coop, and the pig pen. those were my jobs. I can smell it now, just thinking about it. My stepdad didn't want to be a farmer, so the only plowing or planting we did was on a four acre piece, right next to the house. The other 54 acres either sat fallow, or was harvested of the hay it grew. I drove almost every kind of tractor you can think of, except a Belarus. I never heard of that one, till I got out of the Corps. One summer, I worked for an old family friend, who owned a farm, right on the shoe of Otisco Lake. He and his brother ran the farm, The day I got there, Duke, the family friend, asked if I had my swim trunks with me. I did, and asked why. He said, the day before, his brother came home pretty well oiled, and decided he was going to plow the lot down by the creek. He took the old Allis-Chalmers tractor to do the plowing. He was plowing straight toward the creek, Now, those old A-Cs were steared with the brakes. You had a brake lever an each side, and you'd pull a lever for which ever way you wanted to turn. He grabbed the Right hand lever, the tractor started to turn, He lost his grip on the lever. He put the tractor in the creek, upside down. He was thrown clear,not hurt. We went down , and pulled the tractor out, and I spent the day, diving for the Tool box, and the tools that fell out of it. I had a great time. I'm going to like this thread, Redman1. S/F! Ken

I grew up farming. Our farms were out of town about a mile. We also raised turkeys about 45,000 to 50,000 a year. My favorite tractor was a 1948 or 49 Ford 8N. Our next one was a Case a small one. Then we went to a Case830. We had a David Brown that was made in England. All of the controls were back asswords.

I grew up in Western Md. with an Oliver 88 and a Bronco Waterloo

Nice Bike, Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by david43844 View Post
    I grew up in Western Md. with an Oliver 88 and a Bronco Waterloo
    Haven't seen your post before Dave, glad your with us. I'm kind of new her, but I'm getting old Fast. I gotta stop trying to keep up with these young sprouts, under 60. Anyway, nice to meet you. S/F! Ken

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thanks for the response.
    When Karen and I first bought this place we bought a old Oliver just to scrape the driveway with. After awhile we traded up to Longs, which are good tractors.
    I'll try to post pictures of some of my tractors on my profile later.
    Also road tractors I've owned 62 Emery-ville Int, 62 Mack, 69 Tran-star, 70 Tran-star, 72 Tran-star, and my last one was a 79 Peterbilt. After the Corps I was a owner operator for a few years and did Electrical work and while learning Electrical work I haired drivers.
    Semper Fi Redman

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Some may say why I called this Cowboys and there Tractors, well I guess I'm a Cowboy at heart and Truck Drivers are called the last of the Cowboys and I was one plus this ties in with Cowboy Up.
    I also have owned a 3444 Intel backhoe and a 4500 Ford backhoe. I was the first person in Greensboro to convert a 1969 Tran-star 3/4 sleeper to a tandem dump. I got tired of trucking cross country and converted my Tran-star to a tandem dump and bought a backhoe and started delivering sand to brick masons. I also had a dump trailer that held 21 yards.
    If I ever get a chance I'm going to buy a Farmall H just to drive up and down the road for fun.
    Semper Fi Redman

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Buddy,
    I love reading Your Thread Cowboy Up but I don't have any Horses or Animals.
    Now I'm gonna Love reading Your new Thread, Cowboys and Their Tractors.

I'm a Concrete Cowboy and I don't own no Horses, Animals or Tractors.

I guess I'll just have to Post once in awhile here and just be happy with reading all the Good Stories.

Semper Fi Buddy,
    Concrete Cowboy Rocky

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Rocky didn't you have a concrete truck years ago something to do with Jimmy Hoffa?
    Semper Fi Redman

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by redman1 View Post
    Rocky didn't you have a concrete truck years ago something to do with Jimmy Hoffa?
    Semper Fi Redman
    We can include Trucks and Heavy Equipment in this thread Buddy???
    Yeah, My Whole Family was involved in The Teamsters Union Labor Movement from the Beginning!!!

My Grandfather moved Frieght with a Wagon and a 6 horse team before they Organized and then went the way of Tractors and Trailers.

I'm going to see if my Dad will make a copy of that picture and send it to me so I can post it.

I feel better now.
    Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Ford 9N

This model did not have a running board between the clutch pedal and the muffler. I was bush-hogging bare footed once and suffered a major burn when my foot slipped off the clutch and against the muffler.

Also our tractor had a "Dog" accessory gear that helped on occasion -- it whined a little but the wheels turned faster.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Nice, REAL NICE
    Semper Fi Redman

Quote Originally Posted by vanmac View Post

This model did not have a running board between the clutch pedal and the muffler. I was bush-hogging bare footed once and suffered a major burn when my foot slipped off the clutch and against the muffler.

Also our tractor had a "Dog" accessory gear that helped on occasion -- it whined a little but the wheels turned faster.
    My mom and her husband (not stepdad long story) have that exact model right now. They run a 6 foot bush hog and a 4 foot finishing mower on it. It's been a good tractor other then having to teach her husband that the tractor has a generator and not an alternator. He replaces batteries constantly because he never gives it time to recharge, and those 6 volts are expensive.

Hey y'all,does a John Deere lawn tractor count ?
    If not,then I'm out of here..............

Thread Information