Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 0811

Hey there Marines,

Just some quick questions regarding MOS 0811. When you are in Artillery, what comes after section chief? Like what do you do after you are section chief, are you assigned a new billet?

Thanks

Above section chief, is where the infantry company and artillery battery look almost identical. The section chief is equivalent to squad leader. Above that is the platoon sergeant (sgt or ssgt), then battery gunny, then 1sgt. The SNCOs do not have any cannoneer duties. They assist the platoon leaders, XO and CO in the handling of the battery. This includes organizing local security, convoy management, and troop welfare tasks.

Depending on how many billets are open (or not open), sometimes 0811 Sgts take other jobs like Local Security Chief or lead the Advance Party. They can also act as Safety NCO's if they still have them.

(this was one of your better questions. ha ha ha)

haha thanks lol.
    So does the job get kind of less exciting once you get past section chief?

Well, that's a harder question to answer. I was a section chief and loved it. I also like Saftey NCO, less work but still on the gunline. I personally think that Sgt is the best rank in the Corps. Your close enough to the work to have fun but also ranked enough to control your own space.

I also served a short time as a Platoon Sgt. There's definitely more admin work and you're always around senior SNCOs and officers. It's a lot more challenging, and arguably less fun. However, there's always fun to be found when you're the boss.

oh alright cool, thank you Sgt.
    What about Lat moves? Like if you are a Sgt, and then want to become an FO, would that be fairly easy? Or would it be tough to get the lat move to FO.

Lat moves are not easy at all. They're not impossible, but not easy.

Oh alright. Oh and when you mentioned the advanced party, who is that? Are those 03xxs? Or Arty guys going ahead of the howitzers?

Advanced party is all battery personnel. This includes 08's from each gun, some comm guys, and wire guys. There could also be some add'l road guides for the other vehicles.

Sometimes, a squad of infantry can be tasked to provide security.

Oh alright thats cool.
    Thank SGt

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    let me ask this question, 119wrestler, What does it matter to you, what comes after section chief, your not even a marine yet and your planning your section chief job, OUT Fu(king STANDING

I'm just wondering, i dont know why people here get so pist when people ask stuff. Like I was just thinking and that came to mind, so i searched it, and didn't see any results, so I decided to ask, maybe it would help someone else in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by 119Wrestler View Post
    I'm just wondering, i dont know why people here get so pist when people ask stuff. Like I was just thinking and that came to mind, so i searched it, and didn't see any results, so I decided to ask, maybe it would help someone else in the future.
    Why because Marines are always right, at least you weren't talking Recon.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    Why because Marines are always right, at least you weren't talking Recon.
    He was talking Recon, Sgt. Artillery is the preferred insertion method for our Gung Ho pre-DEP Rambos.

Oh yea.... I totally want to be Recon -__-

Recon is the best outfit in the Corps. Best I had in my 9 years. Oh by the way I also served with Arty as a NGF FO

Thread Information