Question about uniform "Service Stripes"
Create Post

Question about uniform "Service Stripes"

Good evening Marines, I have a question regarding "Service Strips". What do these mean exactly?

I ask because the Gunnery Sergeant at my RSS has two, a Staff Sergeant had three, and another Staff Sergeant had one and didn't know if these had a specific meaning or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    One stripe for every four years in the Corps.
    Good question---if I had not been in, I would have NO idea what they are, either.
    Thank you Dave for your reply!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    You are welcome, and here's more, from Wikipedia. Interesting reading. Maybe TOO much info but that's better than too little.

Service stripe

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Service stripes of the United States Army, Marines, Navy, and Coast Guard

A service stripe, commonly called a hash mark, is a decoration of the United States military which is presented to enlisted members of the U.S. military to denote length of service. The United States Army awards each stripe for three years service, while the United States Navy, United States Marine Corps, and United States Coast Guard award each stripe for four years of duty. The concept of a service stripe dates back to the American Civil War where sleeve stripes denoted a successful completion of a standard enlistment, although they had also been used in Napoleon's army. These stripes are also used on the sleeves of the full dress uniform worn by cadets of the United States Military Academy at West Point, which denote the number of years a cadet has been at the academy. This is also done by cadets of other military colleges and prep schools.
    Sleeve stripes are only worn by enlisted personnel. Sailors wear their stripes on the bottom cuff of the left sleeve,[1] whereas Marines wear them at the bottom cuff of both sleeves. Soldiers wear them on the left sleeve and Overseas Service Bars on the right one. Service stripes are only worn on formal uniforms, and are not seen on the more common day-to-day working uniforms.
    In contrast to the Good Conduct Medal, a service stripe is presented to enlisted personnel upon completion of the specified term of service, regardless of the service member’s disciplinary history. For example, a soldier with several non-judicial punishments and courts-martial would still receive a service stripe for three years service whereas, in the same situation, the Good Conduct Medal would be denied.
    The Navy also issues gold service stripes to those service members with over twelve cumulative years service free of disciplinary action in the United States Navy, United States Navy Reserve, United States Marine Corps, or the United States Marine Corps Reserve in a pay status.[2] In cases where a disciplinary infraction has occurred, the service member is not denied a service stripe but simply is issued the standard red stripe design. The Coast Guard issues gold and red service stripes, as well, but as a distinction between junior enlisted personnel (E-1 to E-6 who wear red service stripes) and Chief Petty Officers (E-7 to E-9 who wear gold).
    The United States Air Force is the only branch of service which does not issue service stripes. The Air Force Longevity Service Award is issued in lieu. Historically, persons who were in the Army Air Force and then became part of the Air Force when it was separated in 1947 could continue to wear their service stripes.
    In many U.S. Law Enforcement agencies, officers and deputies wear service stripes on their long sleeved uniforms, usually on the lower left sleeve. One stripe may be worn for every three, four or five years of service and differs from agency to agency.
    Never hurts to learn.

Nice post Dave.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    a service stripe is presented to enlisted personnel upon completion of the specified term of service
    Don't know how the other branches do it......but in the Marines the hash mark is presented at cash sales....PX or uniform shop.....across the counter in exchange for money.

And then presented to the tailor shop and dry cleaner....

For more monies.....

Never seen a ceremony where a hash mark was issued like rank stripes...medals..... or certificates.

IT WAS HILARIOUS IWORE MY CRACKERJACKS WHEN I GOT MY SOUTHWEST ASIA MEDAL FROM OUR CLINICAL DIRECTOR AFTER DESERT STORM>PEOPLE CALLED ME THE SENIOR HM3 OF THE NAVY WHEN THEY SAW MY 2 red hash marks.

SEMPER FI

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF

I'm not a wanna be or a poolee, just a little on the boot side... my afadbd is Nov 26 of 07... do I rate a service stripe that day or is it Nov 1? With the ball I just don't want to be lookin like a dumbass, not that anyone would know but me... any help is appreciated...

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I think technically it's the day you first joined up, but honestly, no one's gonna say anything if it's at least that month. You should be fine unless you have a super motarded command that is incredibly anal retentive on that kind of stuff.

Concur. Put it on for the ball. You'll be good. If it was more than a month or two I'd say no, but you'll be fine.

Thread Information