Old Corps /New Corps/ what corps? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    But my answer of course is
    Old Corps-during my tour of duty
    New Corps-day after I got out
    ***********---ROFL-----*************

Semper Fi everyone.

One last reply on this topic in regards to the changes taking place during the 70s
    cut and pasted from Wikipedia article.
    "
    While recovering from Vietnam, the Corps hit a detrimental low point in its service history caused by courts-martial and Non-Judicial Punishments related partially to increased Unauthorized Absences and Desertions during the war. Overhauling of the Corps began in the late 1970s, discharging the most delinquent, and once quality of new recruits improved, the Corps focused on reforming the NCO Corps, a vital functioning part of its forces.[12]"

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    Old and New------That's just about it, whoever was in before you is Old, and you are New, then the guys way after you are New, and you are old.

I wonder what the USMC strength was in 1965, if anyone knows. I thought it was 190,000 or so, not sure
    Dave in August of '65 it stood at 223,100

Credits
    Savings
    Muchas Gracias, Mi Comandante
    More than welcome senor. Just happen to have that number at the tip of my fingers. There was a 30,000 troop build up from Jan to Aug. Then of course as we all know it really starting building

Credits
    Savings
    Muchas Gracias, Mi Comandante

Can we go back two years, my final question, what was it in 1963 when I joined up?
    Dave estimated at 185,000 to 190,000 give or take. No hard facts, sorry

Credits
    Savings
    No problem. Largest the Corps ever was 475,000 during WW2. 309,000 in 1969. Lowest in recent times 171,000, 1997.

Dave
    I probably should said "Where the term "Old/New Corps" more than likely came from", rather than the real answer (but it probably is the real answer). WWII in the Pacific really made the Marine Corps what it is today. As I said also the WWI spike is another point, and I didn't really research it before that.
    Personally I feel that Marines are Marines period.

Well, I enlisted in Jan, 1969, and for me Old Corps was the WWII/Korean War Vets or earlier. But, it is all judged by perspective. I venture to say that 30 years from now, the guys currently serving will be looked at as Old Corps.
    The best definition of Old Corps I ever heard was, "Old Corps is the guy that joined just before you did".

Dave
    Marines who were in a month before me used to tell me I was in the new Corps and tell me how tough the old Corps was. I couldn't believe it.
    But those numbers I posted are startling, an increase of the Marine Corps from 13,000 to 475,000 (using Cmdr Dan's source)
    0 Mar Div to 6 Mar Div
    0 Air Wings to 6 Air Wings
    just incredible. You would really understand why they would call it the Old/New Corps.
    Great chatting with you
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Danno77 View Post
    0 Air Wings to 6 Air Wings
    Actually, the greatest number of Air Wings was five: 1st; 2nd; 3rd; 4th, and; 9th.

Unless your 782 gear consists of a sword and shield, you are new Corps

My old bones tell me every day that I am Old Corps.

Stand corrected on the Airwing number, didn't really research that as much as I should of, and I was an Airwinger, LOL

The service number is still in my brain today , as it was screamed at me the day it was given me; SSN I look in my billfold to remember

I think of the old Corps as WW2 Marines.

Thread Information