Scout/Sniper
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scout/Sniper

Scout/Sniper

Can anyone with REAL KNOWLEDGE tell me how hard it would be for a Marine who has been identified as colorblind to get into sniper school? I have seen that it is discouraged...

Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    Scout Sniper/Recon/MARSOC Information
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=70637
    Thanks, WMarine, but unless I missed something, I read that thread and could not find anything that said how hard it is to go to sniper school if my son is colorblind. All I found is that colorblindness is discouraged, not that it's an absolute disqualification.

Sniper school is hard enough as it is. It would be harder if you're colorblind. That's why is discouraged, not disallowed.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Once he gets into the Marines, unless he walks around saying "I'm colorblind, I'm colorblind, I'm colorblind" no one is gonna know or care. If he is gray scale color blind then reading a map could be a real problem and he would disqualify himself with an inability to differntiate colors. Far as I know there is no do dad like at the DMV that you have to take in order to go through sniper school.

First question - Are you totally color blind, some form of red green, or yellow blue?

Second question- Some of us adapt better than others, What do you have problems with? You'll have the same problems if your a Scout Sniper. Think about it you've probably considered the mission and done some research what do you think might be a problem.

Total (monochromatias) and dichromatic red greens will be at a greater disadvantage than anomolous trichromatics or dichomatic yellow blues.

In vary rare instances color blindness is advantageous; less that one tenth of one percent have a S-cone defect that allows them to identify artificial camouflage (like the patterns used on woodlands or camoflage netting). It won't help if your trying to spot a Sniper who has properly prepared his position with natural elements.

Many color blind people adapt by better discrimination in texture, motion, and reflective qualities like luminosity which in certain situations give them an advantage. Ironicallycolor blind people are less prone to being blinded by color.

The real question is whether you particular color situation will be a win lose or draw.

I was never identified by the Marine Corps as visually deficient.

P.S. If your anything like me stay away from fields involving electrical wiring especially if there is anything that goes boom at the other end! I had a old camero that had little "flags" on the ends of the wires.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Are you going to boot for your son too? Just wondering?

First of all, POOLEE, you'd do well to show some respect to a military veteran such as myself. Second, seeing as I have had experience with the military and he has not, but I have no experience with the Marines except through him, YES I think it's appropriate to ask questions that I want answered. You'll notice that in the beginning of my post I asked for anyone with real knowledge on the topic to respond...you obviously did not meet that criterion.

Quote Originally Posted by NaMcTx View Post
    Are you going to boot for your son too? Just wondering?
    She biotch slapped you, rightfully so. Know your role, poolee.

requirements for recon and sniper schools
    http://www.marines.mil/unit/tecom/so...ngCompany.aspx

You need to cut the apron ties and turn you son loose. Sounds like he is in for a rude awakeing when he actually gets to Boot Camp. I would not worry about him becoming a scout sniper until he completes Recruit Training, if he does. His recruiter should have the answers to your questions.

Read the above link. Although it doesn't say anything about colorblindness, I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut that if he has any form of color blindness he won't be eligible. I don't know why everybody thinks they wanna be recon or sniper, it really ain't all that glamorous. Never mind very few can actually make the cut. Hopefully he knows he's gonna have to be a pee-on grunt for a year or more before he even gets a chance to try out. Good luck to y'all.

And I understand, rumor, that few come back.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by NateJordansMomm View Post
    First of all, POOLEE, you'd do well to show some respect to a military veteran such as myself. Second, seeing as I have had experience with the military and he has not, but I have no experience with the Marines except through him, YES I think it's appropriate to ask questions that I want answered. You'll notice that in the beginning of my post I asked for anyone with real knowledge on the topic to respond...you obviously did not meet that criterion.

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    She biotch slapped you, rightfully so. Know your role, poolee.
    I agree wookie, Nicely done young lady.
    Now, if we could find WM to dress the dummie down for not filling out a profile

Just keep trying, its dis courage, but allowed. Best of luck. I'll help you anyway I can.

Thread Information