Many Questions. - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Many Questions.

Quote Originally Posted by motox151 View Post
    I didnt learn to swim so to speak until weeks before my ship date. I could always swim, I just couldnt jump in to deep water, I always thought I would drown lol So i was at the pool with my friends, said if I dont come back up please get me lol. I jumped in and was like wtf? You naturally come back up. So go for it, go to the y or something with lifegaurds tell them to watch you. jump in and you will be fine after that.

That truly is how I feel. I could always swim around the 5 foot end but once it goes past 6 ft I would be the biggest pus. I'll be speaking to my recruiter this week, thanks alot.

yep, just go somewhere with lifegaurds and tell them to save your ass. Trust me you will know how to swim back up. Once you do, you will feel a huge weight off your back and be even more pumped for boot.

dont worry about your moobs either, no one at boot camp will have the time to worry about your tits when you take a 30 second shower

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureMarine993 View Post
    That truly is how I feel. I could always swim around the 5 foot end but once it goes past 6 ft I would be the biggest pus. I'll be speaking to my recruiter this week, thanks alot.

They don't play the "I'm scared of deep water" game. The swim instructors say, "Jump" and you jump. Not doing it is a refusal to train and it gets ugly.

I was (and still am) a poor swimmer, but I managed to qualify 3d class. Damned near drowned once, but I got through it.

Quote Originally Posted by motox151 View Post
    Hey sgt l, i wouldn't tell this guy they will teach him to swim. All the people who couldn't swim got dropped. There was no remedial swim lessons, if they jumped off the high board and didn't swim back up we knew who couldn't swim. We lost 8 kids from our platoon because they couldn't swim. They got dropped back cycle the sent to holding platoon for ad sep if they couldn't pass the second time
    In my time it was either drown or swim.

yep same here. they yelled jump and pushed you at the same time lol

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    There are a lot of what ifs
    If a frog had wings...he wouldn't bump his azz when he tries to hop.

So he needs to be careful in which direction he jumps.

But he always jumps.... he gotta keep flies on the table.

Whether he busts his azz again....or not.

Fear is temporary. Regret is forever.

Choose.

And then jump...or tread....your decision .....become a Marine and get with the program.....or not.

Most Marines aren't going to look a your boobs.....you ain't the right gender....

So just do it and quit procrastinating....

I was talking about "what ifs" as far as pay went....I think I'm already a Marine, but I'm not sure...

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I was talking about "what ifs" as far as pay went....I think I'm already a Marine, but I'm not sure...
    I know what you was referring to....but I was using your " what ifs" as an example of "what if" the OP didn't jump in the water....on his own.

Then he wouldn't be a Marine....

"What if " he did it own his own....with the intestinal fortitude .... inner motivation...and "PRIDE" from within....then he would jump....and "JUMP" and jump into a world of being a United States Marine.....instead of a dream.

There can be allot of "What ifs" in life it just depends on which one is chosen to take the right course and road.

Fear is temporary. Regret is forever.

Choose.

Semper-Fi!

There where alot harder things in the Corps than not knowing how to swim. I didn't know how to swim, went to MOS School still didn't know how. Finally got to the fleet, and had a Sgt. who took me to the pool for one on one swim lessons. Learned in about two weeks, now I can't stay out of the water. I had no choice I had to learn or move to a different MOS. Being an Assault Amphibian Crewman you kinda had to know how haha

Sitting on the bottom of a pool in the deep end with bricks will teach you how to swim real quick. Thats what Sgt. Grunwall did to me hahaha

Ok..a little clarification on the swimming part. I went to boot camp in January completely unable to swim. They will teach you how to back crawl and float...and thats it. The tower will scare the **** out of you, but follow the instructions given to you and you will be fine.

And as far as remedial..I missed the first two days of swim week from being at medical with pneumonia and went through the afternoon of the day I got cleared just fine. Most of the recruits do swim qual 4 the first day, and the other three days that week that they do swim quals for the guys that need higher for their job, and the ones that haven't been able to pass yet.

There wasn't a swim drop in my entire company, and my SDI said he has never seen someone fail out, and he's been there for a couple years. I wasn't the only guy that couldn't swim at all, and we all made it just fine.

Long story short...get some time in the pool before you leave if possible. If you can't, then take boot camp one day at a time and worry about the pool when you get to it. I guarantee you that you'll be gut checked long before you touch the water at MCRD.

Thread Information