Is a Commander-in-Chief supposed to do this before getting on Marine One?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is a Commander-in-Chief supposed to do this before getting on Marine One?

Ok fellow Marines, I know this video is a little old, but honestly, it's the first time I've seen it. Now is a President / Commander-in-Chief supposed to shake a Marine's hand like that before boarding the helo? If I were that particular Marine, I would have been in shock if he did that to me after I saluted him, but I probably would have shook his hand anyway. Regardless of everyone's views on the current President, does this possibly violate protocol? I honestly don't know. What do y'all think?

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR6wAn4NLv4

-JD

So he shook the Marine's hand. BFD. Some people like making mountains out of mole hills.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I remember seeing this the day it happened and thinking wow now thats change indeed lol. The look on that young Corporals face is utter shock and I am not aware of what protocol exists. But since its the CIC my guess would be anything goes.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Some people like making mountains out of mole hills.
    I certainly wasn't intending to make a mountain out of it. Just was wondering. Eh, oh well.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    As a Former Marine Security Guard I would say protocol was met. The President returned the salute then shook his hand. That has happened to me on many occasion. The salute is rendered, acknowledged by being returned. The handshake is acceptable

The Marine should be discharged and the president should be impeached.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    There goes a mouthful of beer LMFAO!

I would say since Obama is the Commander-in-Chief, he is free to acknowledge the Marine's salute in any courteous manner he chooses.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    So he shook the Marine's hand. BFD. Some people like making mountains out of mole hills.
    Excellent Liberal quote.

Kick that molehill into a smooth bed.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I served under 4 CiC's. Carter, Reagan ,Bush 1 and Clinton. In my opinion the best salute was snapped off by Reagan, the worst by Clinton

i thought you were supposed to hold your salute until it was returned and then finish yours and the handshake was acceptible wouldn't you want to show your respect for the job the marine does for you and the country?

I think protocol was maintained and it was a nice gesture by the CIC showing a mutual respect for the marine.

Quote Originally Posted by micarr57 View Post
    i thought you were supposed to hold your salute until it was returned and then finish yours and the handshake was acceptable wouldn't you want to show your respect for the job the marine does for you and the country?
    Think about that for a second. You're a Marine in uniform and you pass by a Marine officer in civilian clothing who you recognize. Since you are in uniform, you render a salute if you are covered. The officer in civilian clothing does not return your salute, rather he acknowledges it with a nod of his head. That is our naval tradition. Personally, I think it looks ridiculous for someone not in uniform to return a salute.

Hand shake ?

Quote Originally Posted by JD0261 View Post
    I certainly wasn't intending to make a mountain out of it. Just was wondering. Eh, oh well.
    Simple answer JD. The President is the Commander-in-Chief. He can do it any damned way he wants to !! The fact that He did it, makes it right, and proper. Do you know how many free drinks that hand-shake is getting that Marine ? S/F!! KEN

Thread Information