Quick question - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Quick question

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    Yes, sinus bradycardia can cause insufficient distribution of O2 to bodily tissues, particularly the heart. However there is a problem the doctors have to deal with concerning that. It is not unusual in young, very physically fit people (like Marines) to have resting heart rates below 60 (technically mild bradycardia). Normally this is not a perfusion issue because each heartbeat is very efficient and is pumping the same amount of oxygenated blood per minute as someone else whose resting heart rate is 75, but who is not in quite as good shape.

I'm not sticking up for the medical officers. It does sound like the civilian cardiologist is concerned and thinks advanced testing is necessary. From where I sit (as an ex-paramedic), I agree with him. Given your hubby's family medical history and his current symptoms I think a trip to the cath lab is in order, if for no other reason than to rule out the issues a cath job can find.

Thanks. I'm no cardiologist and I'm not trying to assume anything BUT none of these results with any tests were explained other than "everything is normal." When i looked at the only page of results in the record, I see "mild sinus a long work i can't pronounce.." then i get scared and I ask questions.

Frankly, I don't give damn if it isn't cardiac. I prefer it not be. I just want them to find out what is wrong instead of running 3-4 tests and saying "ok.. well i can put u back to full duty or send a packet to peb." Doesn't really sit well with me but that's just me.

I'm ok with waiting til we get home, as long as the medicine he's on keeps working.

I'm not ok with them screwing all of this up and then 1st Sgt wants to fix it by redoing all the paper work that they lost and/or someone else has signed. He even told my husband yesterday "technically, u were never on BCP because of this." So, how hard is it to remove something that was never there in the first place?

I'm going to let the MO do his job. 1st Sgt told my husband yesterday that it doesn't matter if we have a letter from his doc on base saying he shouldn't participate in BCP.. what the MO says, goes.

As far as requesting mast...The person I know who works in Legal said that the only way he can assure they can help or assure that it would be a good thing to request mast is if that he was under weight before all this happened. And he was. BUT, his records show the last weight in 6 months prior to when this happened. He literally went from 165-190 in less than 6 weeks. And the fact that his doc did return him to full duty in Oct. of 2009, she even stated that because of all this, he has gained weight. And he was put back on light duty as of March of this yr and then limited duty June this yr. So, because he was over weight when he was on full duty of 09-10', i'm afraid they will use this against us.

I give up. I'm going to continue to document everything. I'm not a Marine. I don't know how you guys think. I have nothing but respect as I'm a tin can sailor's daughter(who swears he spent time in the brigg for beating 3 Marines up.. but I think that was a scare tactic against my hubby. lol.) I'm just a wife..a civi..a mom. To me, it makes sense to take him off, not only because he's my husband but because of his condition. My hubby said it wouldn't do any good if I showed up at the Company office one day unannounced. The only thing that is going to screw him completely is that his limdu paperwork states "PT at own risk" and has ever since day 1. Since BCP started, he goes to the gym and does the elliptical, spends a few mins. in the spa and that's it. I didn't even know this til yesterday but his SSgt said he couldn't even throw the kettle around or run.

I can't thank you guys enough for the help and advice that I've gotten.

Aslo make sure that you get a "true copy" of all his military medical records before your husbands discharge. This will be a big help when/ if he files a VA compensation claim.

I'm actually going up there in a few minutes to get it. The doc yesterday informed us that the process would take no more than 6 months as they have been taking 2-3 lately.. but I guess they make you do the VA process before you discharge now, which is news to me. I've always heard horror stories.

your description of his loosing sight in 1 eye sounds like a minor stoke symptom--I doubt that he is diabetic,but,diabetics suffer "silent" heart attacks without knowing they had them--after a triple by-pass I have had 2 minor strokes that I never even knew I had suffered--the last one was vision related--has he had his carotid arteries checked out

Quote Originally Posted by ese4mc View Post
    your description of his loosing sight in 1 eye sounds like a minor stoke symptom--I doubt that he is diabetic,but,diabetics suffer "silent" heart attacks without knowing they had them--after a triple by-pass I have had 2 minor strokes that I never even knew I had suffered--the last one was vision related--has he had his carotid arteries checked out

wow.. i am so sorry! your input is helpful but nope, he hasn't had that. And when i told her this yesterday and my fear of a stroke, she still acted like it was no big deal.

I was just going over his labs from last yr when it was first happening and he has 185 cholesterol, 123 bad cholesterol, 18 good cholesterol, thyroid was 1.2.

Another interesting thing.. his weight hasn't really changed in a year. Weird. He's changed his diet completely because of this.. he's only been in-taking around 500 calories a day since Aug. 31st cas 1st Sgt said he could lose weight by just cutting his calories. He eats fruits/veggies/Tilapia/Chicken.. no junk food.. i don't buy it. If i don't buy it, he can't eat it.

The only way you are going to find out if it has to do with his arteries is you must get hime to a Cath Lab and get some pictures taken. That is how they found my blockages. Now 20 years later, and after having replaced 5 vessels to my heart, I have no angina pain at all, even though they say that at least 3 of the vessels are no longer functioning. And, by the way, I had my vessels replaced at Naval Hospital, San Diego and they did a great job.

There are a few of us on the board here that work for the VA in various positions. PM me with any questions you have on the paperwork that they will have you submit. Ill be glad to help you and your husband through the process.

Thanks spotts. Not looking forward to that process AT ALL! lol.

Even though overall cholesteral looks fine at 185 (less than 200); LDL is a little high at 123 but still below 130 threshold. But the HDL is real low at 18 when should be closer to but less than 55.

LDL (bad) are made of lipids and proteins but are not a type of cholesterol themselves. LDLs carry cholesterol throughout the body often depositing it in arteries. When combined with other substances, cholesterol forms a plaque that narrows arteries, constricting blood flow and potentially leading to heart attack or stroke -- atherosclerosis.

HDL (good) is also made of lipids and proteins and carry cholesterol away from the heart and blood pathways back to the liver where it can be processed and passed from the body. They also assist in breaking down and removing plaque already built up in arteries, thus reducing the risk of heart attack or stroke.

See my concern?

What were triglycerides (measures fat in blood)? They need to be less than 150.

Forgot to mention that anything below 40 on the HDL is considered low. With his being only 18....holy crap.

I may be just a biochemist but even I can see the ramifications of these numbers. Why aren't they seeing it. Cath lab now!

see. i dunno. his triglyceride level is 123. im so not medically inclined.. here is what the labs say.

Cholesterol-185
    LDL Chol.-127
    Triglyceride-123
    Glucose-99
    HDL Chol-18
    VLDL Chol- 25

Thyrotropin-1.2

Went and met our PEB liason this morning. Nice guy. Asked him the time frame of this being completed and he said wayyy less than 6 months. The norm is 3. He gave us a stack of paperwork to do and for his command to complete and not lose.

His doc hasn't submitted the PEB YET but will this afternoon or Monday but on his last LIMDU, the diagnosis is atypical chest pains.

I guess the time frame is important to me because I would love to move back home, get my old job back and get settled before he comes. Nothing is never that easy, is it? lol

That diagnosis is crap.

Quote Originally Posted by tdrt View Post
    That diagnosis is crap.
    I'm curious to see if she does change it.

If she doesn't, I can't fight it. We have no proof it's nothing BUT atypical chest pains.

In the paperwork, there's a piece of paper that we check yes or no to for all the stuff that has gone wrong with him since he joined.. that should be interesting. It's for the VA.

Quote Originally Posted by tdrt View Post
    Forgot to mention that anything below 40 on the HDL is considered low. With his being only 18....holy crap.

I may be just a biochemist but even I can see the ramifications of these numbers. Why aren't they seeing it. Cath lab now!
    He did have a Nuclear Stress Test,you might want to google it and see the Mayo Clinic explanation.

So.. i have the BCP eval in hand that they had on file for him. Top part is his info. From the BCP Monthly Objectives to the bottom, it's another Marine's information.

Crazy. But they have no record of what he weighed when he was put on BCP.. so how can they prove he was overweight then?

GRRRR.. there. i feel better. I also have a note from a civi. doc (er doc who gave him the diagnosis of Prinzmetal) so imma call him as well. The doc yesterday said there was no way he could have looked at his work ups.. (civi working in the naval hos. er) and given that diagnosis.

Thread Information