Question about getting into OCS and space requirements
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question about getting into OCS and space requirements

Hi everyone, I recently spoke to the OSO near my home and after a few screening questions and basic conversation we began talking about OCS. He told me that in my position I would be entering into OCS and the time I would be able to enter would be next summer, (I graduate in May) so it "sounds" awesome.

From the conversation which I admit I wasn't exactly prepared for he told me that I was great for everything except I need to get my weight down from 220-186 which by next year is definately doable. I don't see getting 1st class on the PFT as too difficult a goal however getting near the 290 mark seems improbable but I will try my hardest to reach that. I was told that we do not choose our MOS only ground, air or law which would I take as cannot enter earlier/later under a different MOS so I just need to wait until I am able to enter period.

My question with all of this is how likely am I to get into OCS with high academic and standardized test scores? I have been a manager and always placed into a position of responsibility and authority where I work. I am aware there is not an amazing graduation % from OCS but I am more worried about being accepted in rather than remaining there. I see lots of discussion on these boards that the marines are full and that it will be harder to get in without waiting longer.

I heard that OCS is very competitive to get into and was wondering if, realistically I would seem able to enter for this OCS session or if I would be required to wait until the Fall/Winter or even next year. I wasn't sure if all of the OCS's fill up quickly or if it is just the screening process that prevents them from occurring more. I just feel that with only three sessions offered each year I must get my PFT to a very competitive number.

And currently I am doing the sparticus workout www.*************/military-fitness-slideshows/spartacus-workout.html along with Stew Smiths three hour diet http://www.*************/military-fi...hree-hour-diet I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions to add to my routines to achieve this goal faster.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and thank you for advice answers and your support.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    not really sure where your question is in all that really but here is my attempt at it...

I would assume by you graduating soon you will be going to OCS as an OCC class, not PLC. OCC is extremely competitive and need to have the best PFT, GPA, ASVAB, SAT/ACT scores as you can and also have good references and letters of rec. Although becoming an officer (or a Marine period) is very tough and competitive, the Corps is actively seeking out officer material/candidates so as long as your credentials are straight and squared away I don't see any reason why you would not get contracted. From there its all about staying motivated about leading Marines and getting through OCS.

I believe OCS runs multiple OCC classes through out the year, not like PLC only during summer. I wouldn't see a problem with you getting in a class right away but this is something your OSO would tell you. Its picking up with a TBS class and MOS schools that are the problem and will more than likely wait on.

Knockoujm,

First, I would look at the marineocs.com forums as the whole forum is dedicated to people looking to go to Marine OCS. Second, I am not an OSO, but work closely with our pool. Yes, OCS is insanely competitive right now. We had only 2 candidates selected to go to OCC this Fall as a ground active duty slot out of about 20 that applied. Grades and SAT scores do play a factor but it is not everything. Keep working physically as guys with 300 PFTs did not get in. That being said it is a combination of everything, and only those officers on the board truly know what are the deciding factors for selection. If you put in work, you will be where you're at physically. 300 PFT might seem "improbable" for you, but I never thought I would be able to run 18 min 3 miles and I did. Stay close with your OSO, try to go to all the pool functions, stay involved, get your PFT up, and stay out of trouble and you'll be fine. Hope this helps.

Thread Information