Welcome home veterans - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Yes that is why I asked the question. No mention of VN as a duty station. Although he mentions VN within his combat history. Asking for clarification is not the same as attacking someone.

"Glad you served, but you were not a Reconner. You were a Corpsman.

Sorry the Wingers left such a bad taste in your mouth."

The 2nd statement is about as clueless as they come. Someone would have to be dumber than dirt to read my comments and think I was attacking the wing.

The wing was the reconners life line. I am alive today because of the wing.

As far as the first? I had nearly 60 long range recon patrols. Some with as few as 4 people on them. 2 people in one instance.

If you want to suggest that does not qualify as a reconner you are more than welcome to your opinion.

Not one that would be shared by any USMC reconner-----but you are more than welcome to your view. :-)

Credits
    Savings
    Yep, I must be clueless and dumber that dirt, cause that is the way I read it.

Unlike a lot of folks, I re-read my posts and try to understand then in the eyes of others.

I sat in the left seat on many check rides. The drivers would let some of us have the controls at times. This did not make me a Pilot.

I'd have to go check, but I believe I went on a few more than 60 flights and strike flights, many more to be exact, and never asked the Marines we were flying, just what they did, or where they were going. None of that made me Infantry.

We were Marines, one and all.

I keep hearing what you Marines and Corpsman are saying here. We all, (those of us who served in VN) did the best we could we all came back with scars of some kind that means Recon, Winger, etc. We did what we were told to do those of us that came home did so and who cares if you served as a Winger or Grunt or Recon or even as a Supply Driver we did it we came home respect that and again we served. We did not get a big Wecome Home we just came home no one gave a d*mn other than our families and some friends so we went on some could not deal with it some did it is in the past lets just move on and not let it happen to those who serve today. OK?

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlHolmes165 View Post
    Yep, I must be clueless and dumber that dirt, cause that is the way I read it.

I sat in the left seat on many check rides. The drivers would let some of us have the controls at times. This did not make me a Pilot.
    Well you read it about as wrong as you can.

Vietnam reconners (Army or Marine) have an almost mystical bond with the wing.

When we ran into trouble as we often did it was the wing that came on station to bail us out.

It was the wing that kept us alive. We adored the wing. And never once did they fail to get us out. Sometimes under really hairy conditions.

Now is there any way I can make that clearer to you?

True you were not a pilot. But you were air crew. And it would be pretty stupid for anyone to suggest you were not. Considering that was your job.

Just as I was not a patrol leader (although some Recon Docs were) But I was in fact a reconner. A full on at times point walking member of the recon community.

In the exact same way you are a member of the wing.

Now take all the pot shots at me you want. But we lost a he/ll of a lot of Recon Docs KIA and WIA out on those long range recon patrols. Docs who freely raised their hands, when they did not have to be a part of that community.

I'd suggest you keep any inane comments about them not being reconners to yourself.

It will only make you look small and petty to do otherwise.

A Winger

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn2 View Post
    Life is full of bad memories.

But when I read of a winger who does not list VN as a duty station I do wonder exactly what bad memories he refers to.
    Out of respect for what you did for the wounded and dying Marines I'll refrain from commenting other than to tell you I upgraded my profile. Didn't think it was such a big thing, that almost everyone in at that time did some time in country. The question though is why are you so hostile after such a long time?

Quote Originally Posted by riceke View Post
    Out of respect for what you did for the wounded and dying Marines I'll refrain from commenting other than to tell you I upgraded my profile. Didn't think it was such a big thing, that almost everyone in at that time did some time in country. The question though is why are you so hostile after such a long time?
    Thanks.

I assume that when I do not see VN listed as a duty station its just an oversight.

But if its not in the duty station and someone refers to a VN experience I think its wise to ask why or how.

Sometimes when you ask that question you find that their story starts to unravel.

I may not have in asked in the best way. And for that I am sorry.

But asking is the correct thing to do.

"that almost everyone in at that time did some time in country."-----I do not think this is true at all. Many never set foot in country. Many only had the briefest of times landing at the airbase and then heading back to OKI or CONUS.

Credits
    Savings
    Well, I was just about to shake hands and say let's start over, until I read the last 2 sentences of post 34.

Anyway, enough for me.

Thanks for your service.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlHolmes165 View Post
    Well, I was just about to shake hands and say let's start over, until I read the last 2 sentences of post 34.

Anyway, enough for me.

Thanks for your service.
    You realize Al that this is nothing more than old guys yacking and arguing about silly stuff on the internet.

Its neither the real world nor important.

And if I ever find myself becoming truly upset at what someone said on the internet I have to question my own sanity or mental health.

We take this stuff far more seriously than it warrants.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn2 View Post
    Thanks.

I assume that when I do not see VN listed as a duty station its just an oversight.

But if its not in the duty station and someone refers to a VN experience I think its wise to ask why or how.

Sometimes when you ask that question you find that their story starts to unravel.

I may not have in asked in the best way. And for that I am sorry.

But asking is the correct thing to do.
    I always think the same thing, that someone may be a possible poser, when I do not see their name filled in within their profile.

Thread Information