Marine Security Guard- requirements/MP 5811/12- requirements - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ah okay. Thanks. I know I cant go into it out of boot camp. I just want to see what else is out there once I get to point A. Why are MSGs not allowed to be married prior to going into the duty? Is MSG a permanent MOS or do you leave the program after so long?

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDogsSon269 View Post
    Ah okay. Thanks. I know I cant go into it out of boot camp. I just want to see what else is out there once I get to point A. Why are MSGs not allowed to be married prior to going into the duty? Is MSG a permanent MOS or do you leave the program after so long?
    The housing in many locations is very limited so there may not be room to house dependents, therefore it was decided to make the rule that no Sgts and below may be married. All of the Watchstanders live in the Marine House; they have their own room but may share a head with others depending upon the House. The DetCmdr, who can be married (SSgt and above) lives elsewhere.

You do one tour on MSG and then you go back to your MOS. If you desire to do a second tour on MSG at a later date then you have to go through the entire process again; applying, selection, MSG School, etc. (at least that was the case in my day).

Thanks Sergeant. I appreciate it as I am engaged and am trying to figure this one out. I think doing MSG may be very hard because of this. How long is a tour? and I will ask my current recruiter about it to see if there has been any changes I should know about. I am not worried. Yeah it would be nice to be able to live in many different places in the world but, I find that if I cannot do it due to my marital status than oh well. There's other things I can do I am sure. One question I do have is, what if your married are you entirely inelligible to apply for the job or if you have family stay in other housing and are you able to join? Also, are you required to live in the Marine housing given while on MSG duty? Im just curious about some of these things. Thanks.

So earlier I was told that FAST has nothing to do with security force Marine jobs. What is the job besides CQB work and anti-terror? How do you get into it? Finally, what are the prerequisites? Ive heard E-5+, E-4+, and E-3+ Which one is right and I take that the marital status rule is the same as MSG?

One tour as MSG is a 3 year commitment, consisting of 3 1-year long tours of duty in 3 different countries. A MSG detachment can be and often is as small as 6 Marines; 1 SSGT or above as the det commander, with 5 Marines under him.
    While serving MSG, Marines are under the care of the Department of State and part of the personnel of the embassy. Because of this, too many dependents is impractical, so the watch-stander Marines under the det commander are required to not be married or be single parents. Additionally, you need to be in good long-term health because if you find yourself in Zimbabwe with the closest thing to a dentist for thousands of miles being a witch doctor with a rock and a rattlesnake, you better hope you don't get a toothache.
    You will be required to live in the Marine House while at the embassy, and in third-world countries that house is often the best house in the country. You'll want to live there. Some of those places are straight mansions compared to normal billeting. Indoor swimming pool, the works.

FAST is somewhat of a different beast. Their job is essentially glorified firewatch. They are essentially grunts, but rarely do anything more than stand post. They will spend an enlistment signing log books at whatever port or nuclear power plant they happen to be assigned to protect. Most grunts I've spoken with view FAST Marines as sort of amateurs. My understanding is that FAST is composed mostly of Marines with the Security Forces MOS. Yes you can be married because they don't really go anywhere.
    If you want my honest opinion, FAST is one of those jobs that sounds like it should be really cool...but isn't. If you want to fight terrorism, go infantry and actually get to fight it.

Any MOS can be MSG. Like any B-billet, you put in a package for it and are evaluated and then accepted, and then basically do it as a temporary job for however long the commitment is. MSG is the longest commitment in that it is 3 years, so if you apply for it in your first term you should be planning to either reenlist or extend your contract by a year or two. You need to either by an NCO or a squared away LCPL to be able to get the recommendation by your chain of command. There is also a minimum Time On Station requirement of 18 months (how long you've spent at your current duty station doing your actual MOS) before the Monitor for your MOS will agree to release you to go do a B-billet like MSG. If they spent all that time and money training you to be a supply guy or a computer technician or an air traffic controller, they expect to at least get a year and a half of work in that field out of you before letting you run off and do something else.
    So make sure you pick an MOS you will enjoy. It won't be irrelevant, and you'll spend a significant portion of your enlistment doing it, not matter what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDogsSon269 View Post
    Thanks Sergeant. I appreciate it as I am engaged and am trying to figure this one out. I think doing MSG may be very hard because of this. How long is a tour? and I will ask my current recruiter about it to see if there has been any changes I should know about. I am not worried. Yeah it would be nice to be able to live in many different places in the world but, I find that if I cannot do it due to my marital status than oh well. There's other things I can do I am sure. One question I do have is, what if your married are you entirely inelligible to apply for the job or if you have family stay in other housing and are you able to join?
    You're welcome. You can't be married period unless you're a SSgt or above. As Beltayn stated it's 3 years right now though that's always subject to change; when I was on MSG it was 30 months divided equally between two posts. I believe the rest of your questions were answered and I can't give you any insight into FAST as I had no experience with it.

Beltayn - Best of luck at MSG School.

Quote Originally Posted by Beltayn View Post

Their job is essentially glorified firewatch.
    Well, what would you call the person on MSG duty who is opening doors for people? Glorified door openers?

Yes you can be married because they don't really go anywhere.
    Such an ignorant statement. Do some research Devil Dog. Actually, if you can't find out what they are doing, or where they have been, then they are doing something right.

If you want my honest opinion, FAST is one of those jobs that sounds like it should be really cool...but isn't. If you want to fight terrorism, go infantry and actually get to fight it.
    Everybody is entitled to an opinion, even the cooks.

Good luck at MSG school: you're going to be a glorified door opener.

Perhaps I have FAST and Security Forces confused.
    If I have a mistaken understanding, I'll get accurate info and report back later today.

I'm not saying they are as high speed as they come, but they have been a few places and most of the time you or I have no clue where or when they are going next.

And I wont deny that fleet 03's will talk smack about MCSF basic level Marines, but not so much about FAST company Marines.

Someday, if you are unfortunate to have some terrorist attempt blow up your static position on Embassy duty,, more than likely FAST Company Marines are coming to reinforce and help you.

http://www.fastcompanymarines.com/index.php

I'm not trying to knock MSG, there are plenty of advantages to doing MSG over basic MCSF or even FAST.

Thanks for the link wookie. Thanks guys for all the information that has been given. I think I have the information that will help me in my decision now. If there is any thing else im sure some one or one of you Marines will continue posting. I appreciate the help that I received. It was quite helpful.

Thread Information