So you want a high risk job?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So you want a high risk job?

I do not think these figures are at all unique to Recon. In fact I would bet that if you looked at the line companies in 1/9 or 2/5 you would see similar. I have just never seen those figures.

But in 1967 the 3rdReconBn had an authorized strength of 23 Corpsman. Now at least 5-8 of these Corpsman would be in H&S (BAS) and would not normally be going out on patrols.

Which leaves you 3-4 Corpsman to a line company or say about 14- 16 Docs that are going out on patrols regularly.

In 1967 the Docs in 3Recon had 46 WIA/KIA.

5 killed and 41 wounded.

Over a 250% KIA/WIA rate for those going out beyond the wire on a regular basis ???

No math major but that is the way the numbers look to me.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Doc

Those are incredible figures. I doubt if many know about Docs going out on Recon patrols

Excuse my ignorance, but is that practice still in use today?

"I doubt if many know about Docs going out on Recon patrols"

Dan, a Navy pilot not knowing that these Docs went out beyond the wire all the time on patrols is quite understandable.

But for someone who calls themselves a Marine or Doc not to know is beyond belief for me. But as you know we see this sort of ignorance all the time from those who should know better.

I have no real feel on how Teams are operating in AStan today. Do they go out week and after week for 4 and 5 day missions like we did? I do not know.

I do know if the Teams are going out like that their Docs are going with them.

The current SARC Docs are so much better trained than in my day.

I did talk at some length with a reconner stationed in Iraq a few years ago. He said that his co-workers were so envious of the guys from my time because in Iraq they were not able to do traditional multi-day LRRP missions like we did.

Maybe someone with more recent experience can tell us how it works today in AStan.

There are alot of Sailors who do not even know HM's serve on the front lines with our Bros. E club on 32nd street- myself and 3 Marines(in Utes) were hanging the night before a 2 week excersise. 3 Sailors came up to me after eyeballing me for about a half an hour. They were shocked I was a Sailor and asked me what I was doing with "those Jarheads". I told them our role with the USMC. They were amazed and bought us a round!

Quote Originally Posted by Waveslide View Post
    There are alot of Sailors who do not even know HM's serve on the front lines with our Bros. E club on 32nd street- myself and 3 Marines(in Utes) were hanging the night before a 2 week excersise. 3 Sailors came up to me after eyeballing me for about a half an hour. They were shocked I was a Sailor and asked me what I was doing with "those Jarheads". I told them our role with the USMC. They were amazed and bought us a round!
    And we make fun of some 16 yo civilian who asks a stupid question.

The lack of knowledge by some makes you just shake your heads at times.

But if its a civilian or a sailor who has no Green Side experience there is at least some excuse.

For a Marine? None at all.

I hate this comparison stuff when it comes to KIA/WIA's. Except for the fact that it shows some actual history and it may give deppers an idea of the risks to the jobs they pick.

For that year (1967) in this BN during that war:

Authorized strength of 464 Marines=458 KIA/WIA

Authorized strength of 23 Navy Docs= 46 KIA/WIA's

Docs paid one hell of a price to wear that Green Uniform.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn2 View Post
    Docs paid one hell of a price to wear that Green Uniform.

Yes they did Doc!!! And it's sad to think that few know about this. Thanks for giving this Squid a pass but if I had been a ground pounder, I damn well would have known and remembered who I served with.

To all Docs, whether they wore the Greens or the Blues thank you

"Yes they did Doc!!! And it's sad to think that few know about this."

Dan, I do realize that not everyone is a fan of threads like this. Not when you can discuss politics or some other stuff 24/7/365 like some.

But I feel an obligation.

The VN generation is sadly leaving us far to fast (although even that is not seen as a sad thing by everyone I am afraid)

Soon there will be no one left to give first hand insight. Then it will totally be 2nd and 3rd hand stories. Sort of like what our understanding of WW2 is today. The vets of that war now almost gone.

If not each day then certainly each week I try to remember and honor a fallen Marine or Doc. A significant operation or battle. Or some little non combat related incident that just gives some insight.

Passing the stories on is the price for having lived it IMO.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn2 View Post
    "Yes they did Doc!!! And it's sad to think that few know about this."

Dan, I do realize that not everyone is a fan of threads like this. Not when you can discuss politics or some other stuff 24/7/365 like some.

But I feel an obligation.

The VN generation is sadly leaving us far to fast (although even that is not seen as a sad thing by everyone I am afraid)

Soon there will be no one left to give first hand insight. Then it will totally be 2nd and 3rd hand stories. Sort of like what our understanding of WW2 is today. The vets of that war now almost gone.

If not each day then certainly each week I try to remember and honor a fallen Marine or Doc. A significant operation or battle. Or some little non combat related incident that just gives some insight.

Passing the stories on is the price for having lived it IMO.
    This should maybe be put in the VietNam Forum.

Lot of Vets frequent that area, but, sadly, little is generally said.
    VietNam

Al, I know what you are saying.

But I made a conscious decision not to put this sort of thing in the VN forum.

The guys that post there----guys like yourself---you know the VN war----you know the stories---many of the stats----I write for the most part for those others.

BigAl,

As you know, many of us just want to forget as we were forgotten. Many Korean War and Vietnam War vets are still waiting to hear.... Welcome home and well done.

America treated the vets of both the wars.... no conflict or police action BS...wars.... like they were ashamed of us. Talking about things brings back way too many memories... and sadly.... most of those memories are bad.

As far as our Docs.... they were always the shining lights in the middle of a bad situation. Put their asses in harms way to keep us alive.
    As far as I am concerned...every damn one of them rates one hell of a lot more than they received!

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Lynn 2, during Meade River with the 3/26 we had one major battle where every Corpsman for one company, I think India, was either kia or wia. And a large number of Marines. A sad day for us all to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by billy collins View Post
    Lynn 2, during Meade River with the 3/26 we had one major battle where every Corpsman for one company, I think India, was either kia or wia. And a large number of Marines. A sad day for us all to say the least.

You know Billy I have no doubt that the numbers from some of those line infantry companies---for Marines and Docs----would be staggering as well as sobering.

I have heard before of large scale operations where additional Docs had to be flown in because none of the original Docs were left standing.

The overall numbers for the war tell the full story but a misleading story. For me its what was happening at the tip.

That is where we see whole companies over run and almost whipped out to a man.

Ours in recon was a different type of war. Not better nor worse----just different than yours.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZ View Post
    BigAl,

As you know, many of us just want to forget as we were forgotten. Many Korean War and Vietnam War vets are still waiting to hear.... Welcome home and well done.

America treated the vets of both the wars.... no conflict or police action BS...wars.... like they were ashamed of us. Talking about things brings back way too many memories... and sadly.... most of those memories are bad.

As far as our Docs.... they were always the shining lights in the middle of a bad situation. Put their asses in harms way to keep us alive.
    As far as I am concerned...every damn one of them rates one hell of a lot more than they received!

I hear you.

Welcome Home and Thanks for your service. When I hear that, I always wonder where that ******* was 40 years ago. My stock answer is, '**** You'.

From a Vet, it is different. We generally nod at each other, and have a beer. Quietly.

Semper Fi my brother. I will raise a beer with you anytime....infact probably quite a few. Welcome home and thank you for doing what so many ran from doing!

Thread Information