Getting 20 Pull Ups - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by 32JJW0311 View Post
    Well talking to my recruiter's boss he was telling me that I can volunteer for SEER, jump school, dive school, mountain school, all the fun stuff that Recon goes through that is mandatory for them. I'm sure for me earning to be an 0311 Rifleman Infantry they may not let me do all of the training but I'm sure if I volunteer and request it enough they would get sick of me asking and just let me idk? From what he say's I can try and get it and most likely get it. But then I also heard from some other Marines that unless your MOS requires it you won't be taking it because it's going to cost the military even more money. So I'm not sure. But I'm really hoping that the commander of my unit and company or Batt. would approve, So that's what I heard.
    Well, I'll shoot you straight... the only school on your list that is a realistic option without being recon is one of the Mountain courses (mountain leaders, survival, etc.). SERE school is a real possibility IF you go grunt and go to sniper school, not as 'regular' 03. Jump/dive school isn't happening unless you go recon or possibly as a reenlistment incentive (not sure that dive is even possible that route, never heard of that happening).

The other Marines pretty much nailed it, if it is not going to be a huge part of your MOS, it's not going to happen. I know that sounds discouraging but there are quite a few great courses and what not that the regular grunts get a chance to go through. The mountain courses are a very good possibility, squad leader course, hrst master, cwss, mciws, non-lethal training, demo/breaching courses, etc. etc. There are tons, none of them get the sexy hardware or have the well known names but they are all extremely challenging and excellent courses.

I just got out this past year after 4 years as a grunt. We had a hard enough time getting slots in different schools for our guys for the stuff they actually needed and was relevent to their mos. You get to the fleet you can ask all you want about jump school, dive school and whatever else, you will just be told to shut up and get the hell out of the office. The best thing you can do is to keep at it, don't get demotivated after boot camp. You should have a group from recon come to soi (they did when I was there) to ask for volunteers to do a test for recon (can't remember what it was called) anyway its basically a pft and then a swim test. If you pass that and they select you, you will complete soi adn then I believe go over to recon for the indoc. I didn't tryout for it, (got demotivated after waiting almost two months to get into a unit upon arrival to soi) but my friend did, he said there were about 30 guys that passed but only a dozen or so actually got selected. Just keep working out, running alot, swimming and doing pullups. Hope this helps and good luck.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks Corporal Sean and Sergeant Stonecold. Those sound like some fun schools anyways Sergeant Stonecold. I won't be discouraged I'll just keep my head up and do my job and what I'm trained to do. So when you do a reenlistment incentive, what does that exactly mean? My recruiter said sniper is very hard to get into, if you try sniper from an infantry unit you have to be better than the other like 300 guys that tried out or for Recon Sniper qualify and be Recon then beat them guys out so being a sniper either way is pretty difficult, I think sniper would be cool but I should prly check into it a little more before I make it a deff. option.?
    Corporal Sean, that's what my recruiter told me also, but I looked it up and I think don't quote me on it, that you have to have a 105 GT score and I don't know for sure if mine is that high, I don't think it is. So do you think they look at that to? Or just see what your PFT and swimming are Etc.?

Yes different mos's have minimum GT score requirements. Recon is 105. You may be able to get a waiver if your score is close. I would double check with your recruiter as to what your score actually is. Also if it is lower then 105, see if it is possible to retake the asvab and improve your score. We had a guy in our platoon, (not the brightest individual I have ever seen) that actually straight up failed the asvab 3-4 times before finally passing it. I don't know if you can retake it or not just to improve your score though. Like I said before though, the best thing to do is to keep up with your conditioning and stay motivated, it is really easy to lose interest after boot camp and SOI but stick with it. Also if you don't make it into recon, you can keep training, and go for marsoc later on. Just take every bit of training you reciece seriously (aside from drill, I don't care what anyone says, that stuff doesn't mean S*** in the infantry and it is too bad they dwell on it so much in boot camp) but take every chance you get in training to learn the different weapon systems and definitly learn from older guys in your platoon. You can never ask too many questions. The more you learn the better prepared you will be for what may come down the road.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by seandrapac View Post
    Yes different mos's have minimum GT score requirements. Recon is 105. You may be able to get a waiver if your score is close. I would double check with your recruiter as to what your score actually is. Also if it is lower then 105, see if it is possible to retake the asvab and improve your score. We had a guy in our platoon, (not the brightest individual I have ever seen) that actually straight up failed the asvab 3-4 times before finally passing it. I don't know if you can retake it or not just to improve your score though. Like I said before though, the best thing to do is to keep up with your conditioning and stay motivated, it is really easy to lose interest after boot camp and SOI but stick with it. Also if you don't make it into recon, you can keep training, and go for marsoc later on. Just take every bit of training you reciece seriously (aside from drill, I don't care what anyone says, that stuff doesn't mean S*** in the infantry and it is too bad they dwell on it so much in boot camp) but take every chance you get in training to learn the different weapon systems and definitly learn from older guys in your platoon. You can never ask too many questions. The more you learn the better prepared you will be for what may come down the road.

Thank you Corporal Sean. That's what I'll do. I didn't know you could possibly get a waiver for your GT score if it's close, my recruiters computer was down so he's going to let me know when it comes back to life haha. What's MARSOC?
    Question: So if your ASVAB score was low and your GT score also but your the most physical, diciplined, badass Marine "Devil Dog", and know your sh*t, and your PFT score is amazing do you think they would look past the ASVAB score? Because the only reason I failed so bad is because I can't take tests to save my life. But I have a semi-photographic memory so it's very easy to memorize stuff that I want to know, like the 11 general orders, ranks etc. I just hate that they judge you by a test when if they saw that I can actually memorize better than some smart guys on the ASVAB then I should be able to just qualify I don't know?

Quote Originally Posted by 32JJW0311 View Post
    Thank you Corporal Sean. That's what I'll do. I didn't know you could possibly get a waiver for your GT score if it's close, my recruiters computer was down so he's going to let me know when it comes back to life haha. What's MARSOC?
    Question: So if your ASVAB score was low and your GT score also but your the most physical, diciplined, badass Marine "Devil Dog", and know your sh*t, and your PFT score is amazing do you think they would look past the ASVAB score? Because the only reason I failed so bad is because I can't take tests to save my life. But I have a semi-photographic memory so it's very easy to memorize stuff that I want to know, like the 11 general orders, ranks etc. I just hate that they judge you by a test when if they saw that I can actually memorize better than some smart guys on the ASVAB then I should be able to just qualify I don't know?
    Marsoc is a special operations outfit that you have to be an nco to be able to try out for. They are a step above recon.
    As to your comments about the asvab, a waiver would only be possible it the score is close, and maybe not even then.
    Alsohaving a first class pft does not make you a "baddass" and if you think so you are sadly mistaken. There are plenty of things besides physical fitness that make a standout marine. Being able to memorize thigns will get you through boot camp fine, but once you leave, nobody cares that you can remember your 8th general order, or the max effective range of a 9 mil. to get into any kind of special forces or recon or snipers or whatever, you need to be physically fit, smart, have the ablility to improvise, and be able to think on your feet and be able to shoot well.
    For example, we had a guy at boot camp that I personally saw bust out 70 pullups. He was a big guy and had to work to get his run time down but eventually ran just over an 18min 3 mile. So the most physically fit guy in our platoon but he couldn't shoot a rifle to save his life. I think he failed on qual day and had to go back 2-3 times to pass the range. Now would you want a guy like that watching your back?
    Just keep preparing yourself mentally and physically. And also be sure to ask your recruiter alot of questions. You can come on this website, which is a great resource, but we might not always have the right answers, things can always change so be sure to check with your recruiter on things you are unsure about. He shouldn'y be worried about lying to you anymore since you already sold on the marine corps.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by seandrapac View Post
    Marsoc is a special operations outfit that you have to be an nco to be able to try out for. They are a step above recon.
    As to your comments about the asvab, a waiver would only be possible it the score is close, and maybe not even then.
    Alsohaving a first class pft does not make you a "baddass" and if you think so you are sadly mistaken. There are plenty of things besides physical fitness that make a standout marine. Being able to memorize thigns will get you through boot camp fine, but once you leave, nobody cares that you can remember your 8th general order, or the max effective range of a 9 mil. to get into any kind of special forces or recon or snipers or whatever, you need to be physically fit, smart, have the ablility to improvise, and be able to think on your feet and be able to shoot well.
    For example, we had a guy at boot camp that I personally saw bust out 70 pullups. He was a big guy and had to work to get his run time down but eventually ran just over an 18min 3 mile. So the most physically fit guy in our platoon but he couldn't shoot a rifle to save his life. I think he failed on qual day and had to go back 2-3 times to pass the range. Now would you want a guy like that watching your back?
    Just keep preparing yourself mentally and physically. And also be sure to ask your recruiter alot of questions. You can come on this website, which is a great resource, but we might not always have the right answers, things can always change so be sure to check with your recruiter on things you are unsure about. He shouldn'y be worried about lying to you anymore since you already sold on the marine corps.

Lying anymore haha. Yeah he gets annoyed because I ask him so many questions tho. So I just kinda stopped and started looking for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Failuredrill View Post
    I would try to start by doing 2 Pull ups per minute for 30 mins.
    I would like to ask you to specify the time constraint please. Does this minute time frame begin when one is to mount the bar (time starts) pull up, then rest, or are we speaking of mount the bar, pulls, then rest(time starts)?

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Now then, what if you can't actually do a pull up sir?

Quote Originally Posted by GiantJeremy View Post
    Now then, what if you can't actually do a pull up sir?
    I know I was not addressed with this question, but I was confronted with this problem two months ago. I went from zero to eleven. The first one is the most difficult you will ever face. Get on the bar and do not drop until you get it out.

You may not get it today. It will come, One must make it happen. One must simply keep telling themselves it is there.

If bodyweight is more so obese, it would be wise to run at least three times a week for a mile and a half distance (finish, do not worry about speed) This cardio will drop the weight, meanwhile keep on the pulls. Find a grip that is more comfortable for you, different people do the pulls differently just keep you knees below your waist, do not "kip up," and actually pull with your upper body.

Just a note to prevent injury.

If the pain is so sever once you begin doing the pull ups that it hurts to even pull on the bar (I mean IMMA GONNA DIE pain) rest, this may take up to a week. you will know it if it happens. Your body will tell you when you have went to far.

Get our there and pull!

Quote Originally Posted by Cellinheim View Post
    I would like to ask you to specify the time constraint please. Does this minute time frame begin when one is to mount the bar (time starts) pull up, then rest, or are we speaking of mount the bar, pulls, then rest(time starts)?
    The latter, mount bar, pull, then rest (time starts).

Honestly I haven't worked with anybody that hasn't been able to do at least one pull up (there are all kinds of programs out there to get you do one i'm sure). If you want me to suggest something you can always do assisted ones with a chair (if you don't know what i'm talking about you can probably find a video somewhere, I know that they do them in the p90x workout). Basically you are doing a normal pull up with one foot on a chair to help you out, the further the chair the harder it should be and before you know it, you won't need the chair.

And once you hit one, using methods like the one suggested by the Marine above, it should be a cake walk...it's all about Reps. What I did, outside of lat-pulldowns, is I'd do as many as I can, get down and wait 30 seconds, get back up and repeat. Continue this process until your arms refuse to lift your body anymore (even if you have to do one pull-up every 30 seconds for 5 minutes straight) and then rest...an hour later, repeat. Do this throughout the day and then rest the next day (if you've been doing them all day) and the day after that, you should be able to do at least one more. (I say at least because I recall jumping from 11 pull-ups to 13 at one point) By the way, that method is simple and the poolee who demonstrated it to me graduated bootcamp and is now a Private. It works.

Pull-ups:17
    Crunches:121
    1.5 Run:9:50

Quote Originally Posted by Cellinheim View Post

If the pain is so sever once you begin doing the pull ups that it hurts to even pull on the bar (I mean IMMA GONNA DIE pain) rest, this may take up to a week. you will know it if it happens. Your body will tell you when you have went to far.

Get our there and pull!
    I just had my first day of PT on saturday. I could barley do one but my recruiter made me do five assisted a few times and I could barley move my arms. They still hurt today but at work every time I passed a certin room I did ten push ups and when I was in the gym(I work at a hockey rink but we have a basket ball court as well) I set up the pull up bar there and did like two or three but I had my foot against the wall helping. Is that a bad thing for me to do? Because my arms still hurt from saturday.

I think you should be okay but be careful about putting your legs up infront of you as it may get you into a habit and lead to kipping once you are doing unassisted pullups. After I injured my arm I started with doing pull-downs and a combination of assisted pullups but I also put in some regular pullups even if I have to do them in sets of one, eventually they will turn into more reps.

Thread Information