OCS prospect
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OCS prospect

OCS prospect

Howdy,

I'm an actor (Don't hold it against me), I attended a Conservatory for two years, and just got my B.A. in film in December. I've been working in the industry in LA. I don't necessarily hate it, I've always wanted it as a career, but I also know that I feel like a ****-head for not defending my country as part of the greatest fighting force in existence.

I received a 3.0 at a State school in CA, I'm 24, and I have a mediocre PFT:
    16pull-ups
    100 sit-ups
    21:25 run

I don't want to sound like a whiny *****, and waste your time.

But

I wanted to get any information I can from anyone willing. Questions, statements, jokes about living in Hippie cockbag central...

I know that in the end the decision is mine, and that if I put my mind to it I can achieve a 300pft, and most any other challenge.

I would just love some input as to where you feel an Actor douchebag from LA fits in the USMC.

Thank you for your service,

Brendan

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Firstly, you need to fill in your profile. That's required! I can help you with info re. OCS, if that's what you asking about but I'm a little confused.

Also, most Officer Candidates at Quantico are doing 18:00 minute,3 mile runs. In addition,you'll need to talk with an officer recruiter. I'm sure even LA has one

Dan

Last edited by USNAviator; 06-01-10 at 07:17 AM. Reason: spelling

I've filled in my profile, sorry about that.

This seems like a dumb question, but would someone whom has dedicated himself to "the arts" fit as a leader of Marines? I basically don't want to waste the Marine Corps time.

To everybody:
    Say whatever you need to, from a simple "yes/no" to "you're a freaking idiot for asking such a question", Im from Philly I can handle it.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by brenmck80 View Post

This seems like a dumb question, but would someone whom has dedicated himself to "the arts" fit as a leader of Marines? I basically don't want to waste the Marine Corps time.

To everybody:
    Say whatever you need to, from a simple "yes/no" to "you're a freaking idiot for asking such a question", Im from Philly I can handle it.
    Thank you for filling in your profile. Since you have already graduated, PLC and NROTC are out. That leaves OCS Quantico. See the two inks below

The first one is essentially a general info site. The second is very similar to Leatherneck. You need to register and troll your way through the forums but you'll be in contact with current and future OC's.

There is nothing wrong with being in the "Arts" The men and women of the Corps are a diverse lot. But one thing they do have in common is that they EARNED THE TITLE. It's not something given lightly. The Corps is the Best for a reason, they take only the Best. Should you be one of the few, you'll have brother and sister Marines for your entire life. No other service branch is as close knit as the Marines.

I hope these help, look them over closely. If I can be of any further help let me know

Good luck to you

http://www.ocs.usmc.mil/

http://www.marineocs.com/portal/index.php

Last edited by USNAviator; 06-01-10 at 02:55 PM. Reason: spelling

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Howdy,

I'm an actor (Don't hold it against me),

I don't want to sound like a whiny *****, and waste your time.

But

I wanted to get any information I can from anyone willing. Questions, statements, jokes about living in Hippie cockbag central...

I would just love some input as to where you feel an Actor douchebag from LA fits in the USMC.

Brendan

Please be Advised that you Posted in the Marine Mentor Forum.
    I would tone down the Language a bit.
    Doesn't sound like Marine Corps Officer Candidate material if you know what I mean..........

To everybody:
    First of all, I get a kick out of you! You're all right.

Secondly, it would not be a waste of anyone's time -- not the Marine Corps and certainly not yours. Everyone has something to offer.

Oh ya, you are a fricken' idiot for asking. Just do it -- get your sh!t together and get the process started.

And just so we know since you are an "arts" person, how do you feel about don't ask, don't tell? LOL

-@Cmdr. Dan O'Shea USN (Ret) '78-'98, EA-6 Driver, Quantico PLC '77
    Thank you so much for your time and information sir. It is greatly appreciated, and I will not soon forget it.
    -@Rhode Island Rocky
    I apologize for the vulgarities, and will strive to higher standard in such venues.
    -@tdrt
    Thanks for being blunt. Sometimes there's no better advice than a cold cock to the cranium once in a while. And as far as the "don't ask, don't tell" stuff, touche, I figure if anybody asks at OCS I'll just say I was trained by Chuck Norris to be a Lion tamer, or something, haha.

Thank you all for your time and more importantly your service.

I received a BM in Music Performance from the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music. So, I'm assuming artists and musicians are qualified for duty as Marine Officers.

I can't tell you about O-candidates now; but I can tell you my fastest run time EVER was 20:58, and that was at OCS. 18:00 3-miles are not required, though they do make you more competitive for selection. Now I will say that I try to make-up for my run time by maxing the pull-ups and crunches. But for me, it took a lot of training to get there; so you can do it too.

If you want it, go get it. When I was at OCS the biggest thing that held people back was a lack of common sense. Like any job interview or audition, you have to demonstrate that you are more fit than the next guy to lead/mentor Marines.

Best of luck

SF
    Lt A

-@ammermda
    Thank you very much for your first hand insight, I'm seriously learning more and more each day. Most of all thank you for your service.

Brenmck, here is my .02 as a newer graduate of OCS:

There are people that come to OCS from every background imaginable. You will have candidates who majored in theater and music to candidates that played football, etc. There will be candidates that were top in the class from Harvard and Princeton, as well as candidates who barely got by from a no name school. There will be prior enlisted Marines, and those who didn't know a thing about the military. My point is that it doesn't really matter. Leadership is the most important aspect of the training, screening, and evaluating. Ultimately, if you can show your instructors and evaluators that you show the potential--and perhaps even inspire them--that you can be a leader of Marines, that is what is most important. Many of the candidates that came into OCS were from very different backgrounds, but I think it's safe to say that those of us who made it left with the common desire to get out there and lead and care for our Marines.

Physically, train hard and smart, and you will be surprised that the physical aspects of OCS are not what makes it challenging. Will all due respect to Cmdr. O'Shea, the majority do not run 18 minute 3 miles. Probably a good few minutes slower is the average. That is not to say you shouldn't strive to be better than the best, but do not think an 18 minute 3 mile means anything other than that you ran an 18 minute 3 mile at OCS. For reference, I ran in the mid 18s at OCS, and was fairly decent at PT. There were guys who ran in the high 21s and 22s and had to definitely push it. Higher than that, and the PT will likely break you off in some way. I feel that PT is such a moot point, because there were some events that pushed me to the edge, despite being a near 300 PFT, and there were some events that went by fairly easily--and vise versa to the next candidate. The guys I respect from my platoon were the ones who I felt could lead and care for their Marines, and I hope that's how they view me. Not a PFT score....

Anyways, sorry to preach. Good luck!

Geagles.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Geagle05 View Post
    Brenmck, here is my .02 as a newer graduate of OCS:

There are people that come to OCS from every background imaginable. You will have candidates who majored in theater and music to candidates that played football, etc. There will be candidates that were top in the class from Harvard and Princeton, as well as candidates who barely got by from a no name school. There will be prior enlisted Marines, and those who didn't know a thing about the military. My point is that it doesn't really matter. Leadership is the most important aspect of the training, screening, and evaluating. Ultimately, if you can show your instructors and evaluators that you show the potential--and perhaps even inspire them--that you can be a leader of Marines, that is what is most important. Many of the candidates that came into OCS were from very different backgrounds, but I think it's safe to say that those of us who made it left with the common desire to get out there and lead and care for our Marines.

Physically, train hard and smart, and you will be surprised that the physical aspects of OCS are not what makes it challenging. Will all due respect to Cmdr. O'Shea, the majority do not run 18 minute 3 miles. Probably a good few minutes slower is the average. That is not to say you shouldn't strive to be better than the best, but do not think an 18 minute 3 mile means anything other than that you ran an 18 minute 3 mile at OCS. For reference, I ran in the mid 18s at OCS, and was fairly decent at PT. There were guys who ran in the high 21s and 22s and had to definitely push it. Higher than that, and the PT will likely break you off in some way. I feel that PT is such a moot point, because there were some events that pushed me to the edge, despite being a near 300 PFT, and there were some events that went by fairly easily--and vise versa to the next candidate. The guys I respect from my platoon were the ones who I felt could lead and care for their Marines, and I hope that's how they view me. Not a PFT score....

Anyways, sorry to preach. Good luck!

Geagles.

No complaints from me Geagles, was only quoting from others re, run times. Hell I couldn't run 18:00/3 with a 40 knt wind at my back downhill. Did PLC when the earth's crust was cooling!!

I'll leave future advice up to you young bucks. At 56 I'm old school and old intel

Dan

- As usual I honestly can not thank you fine gentlemen enough. I actually put myself down for an appointment with an OSO today. Nothing in writing at this point, but I hope all goes well with my meeting.
    Again, thank you for your service.
    Brendan

Just an FYI, tdrt isn't a gentleman.

1. I plead the fifth about "tdrt"
    2. World's greatest suit...OF ALL TIME!

Credits
    Savings
    - As usual I honestly can not thank you fine gentlemen enough. I actually put myself down for an appointment with an OSO today. Nothing in writing at this point, but I hope all goes well with my meeting.
    Again, thank you for your service.
    Brendan
    Good for you Brendan.It will be your most difficult "roll" for now. Keep your sense of humor

Best of luck

Thread Information