Recruiter charged with intoxication manslaughter
Create Post
    Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member

By Eva Ruth Moravec and Valentino Lucio - Express-News
    05/20/2010 9:16 CDT

A U.S. Marine recruiter was charged with intoxication manslaughter Thursday after he wrecked his vehicle earlier that day, claiming the life of his passenger, officials said.
    Lisa C. Harter, 26, was killed in the accident about 2:40 a.m. Thursday in the westbound lanes of U.S. 90 near Hunt Lane, police said. The crash occurred when Staff Sgt. Marcos Serda, who was allegedly intoxicated, was driving his 2004 Lexus and swerved onto a grassy median, causing the car to roll over.

Harter died at the scene and Serda, 26, was taken to Wilford Hall Medical Center with injuries not thought to be life-threatening. Serda remained at the hospital Thursday evening and was charged by proxy with one count of intoxication manslaughter, officials said. Bail was set at $30,000.

U.S. Marine Corps public affairs officers Capt. Beatriz Yarrish said Serda will not rejoin his recruiting unit but will be placed on administrative duty pending the outcome of an investigation.

“The Marine Corps has a zero tolerance policy for driving while intoxicated,” Yarrish said in a prepared statement. “The incident is being investigated and Serda will be held fully accountable for his actions.”

Yarrish said Serda was married but Harter was not his wife.

Serda has been a Marine for seven years and completed multiple tours in Iraq, she added.

Maybe this guy was living a Tiger Woods fantasy.

A few years ago, recruiter officers were making recruiters who didn't meet their goals make 'death drives'. They would order the recruiter to drive across a state, report to them, PT the crap out of them, and then drive back across the state.

Deaths and injury resulted, no charges for the murdering officer.

I know Serda. I highly doubt he was trying to live the Tiger Woods life. Sounds to me like what happens to everyone on recruiting duty, work all day, get drunk and get home.

Only he happened to crash either from sleep or booze.

"Everyone does stupid Sh*t everyday, only some get caught"

you would think a Marine SNCO would have better judgement. Sadly there is always that "10 pct"

There is NO EXCUSE for drunk driving PERIOD.

There is no excuse for claiming someone is bottom of the barrel if you don't know them.

Quote Originally Posted by Khraine View Post
    There is no excuse for claiming someone is bottom of the barrel if you don't know them.
    Very true. I have done it, so I am not casting stones here, but, when we as Marines do not give our brothers the right to a trial by jury to judge their guilt or innocence, we are no better than that POS Murtha. Just my opinion.

Find me a Marine who hasn't made the mistake of driving drunk at one point and I'll find you a brave hajji. Not gonna happen.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You just found one.........

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

I can show you a Marine right here who hasn't driven drunk before. This is something that is almost encouraged, and is not seen as a big deal in the Marine Corps. It's sad, but it happens all the time. People get less of a punishment for a DUI vs smoking weed on their time off and countless other things that are more petty. It's unfortunately much worse than "10%" of Marines who drive drunk, even good Marines, and hopefully the Corps continues to work to curb it.

Mike

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by crazymjb View Post
    I can show you a Marine right here who hasn't driven drunk before. This is something that is almost encouraged, and is not seen as a big deal in the Marine Corps. It's sad, but it happens all the time. People get less of a punishment for a DUI vs smoking weed on their time off and countless other things that are more petty. It's unfortunately much worse than "10%" of Marines who drive drunk, even good Marines, and hopefully the Corps continues to work to curb it.

Mike

I'm a Squid whose never driven while intoxicated. I was not about to throw away my career and my training. Yes, I've been drunk many times but never got behind a wheel. Even before it was popular, we always had someone who stayed sober and got us all home safely. Gave it up years ago, not worth it. Enjoyed my family and my life too much to put either in harms way

I am literally an alcoholic(j/k) and have NEVER got behind the wheel and driven buzzed let alone drunk. I know many Marines who havent as well.

This Marine may be a good person and could have had a spotless record and lifestyle, the minute he got behind the wheel drunk and killed someone that ALL WENT AWAY. In my book and Im sure many others there is no excuse for it. How about for you Marines who are making excuses for this guy, go talk to the Mother, Father, Brother Sister of a person who was killed by a drunk driver.

Thread Information