Need help finding contact to get military records....
Create Post

Need help finding contact to get military records....

I am trying to find out how I can obtain fingerprints from military records from my Uncle who served in Vietnam. He was found dead last month in his home and his body was too badly decomposed for anyone to identify him http://www.justnews.com/news/22869183/detail.html. He has a concealed gun permit in Florida but prior to 1999 all records were destroyed (including his.) My last option it to locate his military records and have them sent to the medical examiners office in Broward County. Before they can cremate him and he has to be positively identified and it has upset our family that is has taken so long to do this. DNA would have taken 8 weeks and we have already waited a month just for fingerprints with no success.

Can anyone tell me who I need to contact to do this?
    Thank you in advance!

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    According to the article you published a link to, the body has already been positively identified.

RIP Marine!!!

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by Rhode Island View Post
    According to the article you published a link to, the body has already been positively identified.

RIP Marine!!!

Semper Fi,
    Rocky
    That is the media reporting. We provided the photo and that was his house so YES we know it is him but in order to have his body cremated we have to have physical proof such as fingerprints or DNA. Obviously if this was not the case he would not still be resting in the medical examiners office.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You can get what you need right here.

http://archives.gov/veterans/militar...e-records.html

To get your uncle's military records, follow the instructions at the link: http://www.archives.gov/veterans/mil...ds/dd-214.html

With that said here are a few other ideas. Whoever is handling the remains should be able to contact the Marine Corps by phone, explain the situation, and get the records rather quickly. If you need DNA evidence, samples can be taken from family members in his maternal line and can be compared to a sample of mDNA taken from the remains.

I hope this helps. My deepest condolences to you and your family on your loss.

Sorry, but you're just gonna have to let the medical examiner do his/her job. I doubt there's a single thing you can do to expedite gaining his fingerprints or DNA. The ME's office does this stuff every single day. I doubt either the prints or DNA info would be released to you anyway. Sorry for your loss, but you're just gonna have to sit back and wait on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by usmcdanno View Post
    Sorry, but you're just gonna have to let the medical examiner do his/her job. I doubt there's a single thing you can do to expedite gaining his fingerprints or DNA. The ME's office does this stuff every single day. I doubt either the prints or DNA info would be released to you anyway. Sorry for your loss, but you're just gonna have to sit back and wait on this one.
    Yes I suppose so. I would just think it would be rather simple and could happen fairly quickly. It's just a little hard on family that it has been a month and he has still not been laid to rest. I appreciate all the advice!

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjmendelson View Post
    Yes I suppose so. I would just think it would be rather simple and could happen fairly quickly. It's just a little hard on family that it has been a month and he has still not been laid to rest. I appreciate all the advice!
    Sorry for your Loss.
    Prayers Outbound for You and Your Family.

Thread Information