Need some advice and information.
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need some advice and information.

Hey guys, my names Nick. I've been looking around trying to get information from every source I can, and I saw this site and read some of the topics and figured this might be one of the best places to try.

I know alot of people say "I want to be Marine", but to me this isn't an I want to situation, I will become a Marine. No matter the effort, stress, or things I have to give up I will become one.

I've talked to a few recruiters and I know that I personally have some issues that make my enlistment a bit of a hassle. My big issue is that I had to leave high school about 4 years ago to help my mom be able to support our family, due to my dad being in a car accident that put him down for a few years, so I only have my GED. I went through the army about a month ago to take my asvab cause they seem to be more efficient at getting people through the asvab phase. I scored a 61.

Also After I left school my workout routine went to heck. About 4 months ago when I finally made the decision on what I wanted to do with my life I moved to California with my brother to start getting back into shape. I started at 6'1 270lbs. I'm moving back to Indiana tuesday and my measurements now are 6'1 235lbs. I also used the military bodyfat ratio test and it comes out showing me that Im 20%body fat.

I can run a 15 minute mile and a half, I can do 40 crunches in a minute, but my pull up is my big issue, I cant manage to knock out one.

I know to enlist in DEP that I need to get down to 227lbs. I dont think that will be a problem do knock out, but im always open to anyone who can give me any advice on getting the weight down as quick as possible. Also I'd like to get some tips on getting my 1.5 mile time down and be able to start knocking out pull ups.

My biggest thing is getting some information on how to present myself to the recruiter when I get back to Indiana. I wanna be able to show him that I'm not just some kid looking for information and I might join, but I want him to see me as a guy who is serious about this and will do whatever it takes to join them.

Any information at all will be greatly helpful and very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by nickerbocker57 View Post

My biggest thing is getting some information on how to present myself to the recruiter when I get back to Indiana.

It's easy, first think of what job you want to do. Second, walk into that recruiter's office and tell them you want to join the Marines to do that job and ask what you need to do to get there.

They'll tell you that you need to drop weight, get in better shape and they may tell you that the job you want is all filled up, but if you really want it then you work at it. You'll drop the weight, you'll get in better shape and all jobs open up sooner or later, but it all requires you having the nerve to walk into that office in the first place.

Being that you have a GED, you're also going to need 15 college credits.

Minimum Required ASVAB Scores and Edcucation Level

Marine Corps
    ASVAB Score - Marine Corps recruits must score at least 32. A very few exceptions are made (about one percent) for some exceptionally otherwise qualified recruits with scores as low as 25.

Education - As with the Air Force, those without a high school education are ineligible. The Marine Corps limits GED enlistments to no more than five percent per year. Those with a GED must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT to even be considered. As with the other services, the Marine Corps offers advanced enlistment rank for college credits. However, of all the services, the Marines are the most restrictive in this area. The maximum advanced rank for college credits is E-2, where the other services will give college credit advanced rank up to E-3 (E-4 in the Army).

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/genjo...vabminimum.htm

US Military Enlistment Standards

For enlistment purposes, the military breaks education into three overall categories: Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3. The vast majority (over 90 percent) of all enlistments are from the Tier 1 category.

Tier I
    Applicants in Tier I have a high school diploma, or at least 15 college credits. This means a high school diploma, not a GED. Depending on state law, completion of high school by home study may or may not be considered equivelant to a high school diploma.

Tier II
    Tier II includes GEDs, home study (in some states), Certificate of Attendance, Alternative/Continuation High School, Correspondence School Diplomas, and Occupational Program Certificate (Vo/Tech). The services limit the number of Tier II candidates it will allow to enlist each year.

In the Air Force, the limit is less than one percent each year. In such cases, the applicant must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT to qualify (Note: The "AFQT" is the overall ASVAB score).

The Army will allow up to 10 percent each year to be Tier II candidates, but they must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT.

The Marines will only allow about 5 percent each year to be Tier II, and the Navy about 10 percent. Like the Army and Air Force, Tier II recruits must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT to qualify.

The Coast Guard only accepts Tier 2 candidates if they have prior military service, and even then requires them to score higher on the AFQT (50 for prior Coast Guard Service, 65 for prior service in other branches).

Tier III
    Individuals who are not attending high school and are neither high school graduates nor alternative credential holders. The services almost never accept a Tier 3 candidate for enlistment. If you fall into this category, your best bet is to get at least 15 college credits, so that you will be qualified as Tier I.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...leducation.htm

If you have a GED, then you'd fall into the Tier II category (as posted by WMarine); however, you are not required to have 15 college credits. That issue is related to advance ranking that would not pertain to your category per se. I will say, however, that it wouldn't hurt if you had them.

DragonScript is right on. Approach the recruiter in that manner, and he'll tell you your strengths and the likelihood of getting what you want.

WMarine's posted information does paint a dim picture regarding the Corps only permitting about 5% per annum for Tier II individuals. You need to get your weight down, and your PT scores way up. Since the Corps appears to be meeting its recruiting goals at this time, you'll need every thing in your application to be top notch since you have a GED.

Congrats to you for helping your family out of a tight situation. That says a lot to me about your character and your willingness to do the things it takes to achieve in this world. Also, congrats on following through with getting the GED. Many never do, and it hurts them forever. You have a lot going for you and I respect the choices you've had to make. For those reasons, I believe that if you use the same determination to get your PT scores way up, the recruiter might take a serious look at you.

Never settle for the minimum. You have a lot of life ahead of you. Stay strong and focused.

I just wanted to say that you seem to have a good attitude, but with all your "problems" you might get the short end of the stick. Keep trying though, if they tell you no the first time.

Marines are blunt; you're out of shape, you have a GED, and you scored pretty low on the asvab. If you really want it and you meet the requirements, go for it and give it your all. Just realize how far you still have to go, it's not an easy task to accomplish, but one that will forever be remembered and honored. Good luck!

Thanks for all of your help. I talked to a recruiter about a month ago and when he heard the word GED he told me that they weren't accepting any GED holders at the moment. Any idea of this would just be this specific area or would it be all recruiters?

As much as I would love to go about getting 15 college credits, I simply do not have the time or the extra cash. After paying the bills that I have and then helping my mom with her bills I'm pretty much broke till next payday, and i work 12 hour days at my job, then after about an hour of off time from there i have to go over to my grandpas farm and to about 4 more hours of work over there since he cant do alot of it anymore. I know that leaves 8 hours left in the day, but thats not really a whole lot after i manage to workout for atleast an hour or so and then spend a short time with the family. its had enough running on 5 hours of sleep now.

I really doubt my situation actually matters any to the recruiter. So that being said is there really any chance of getting in with a GED without the college credits?

Many areas have a 'quota' system for GED holders. Usually, because this is a good recruiting time (at the moment) that quota is about 2 per RS, from what I've been seeing/hearing. To get them, you'll have to be ready to 'go' on 1 October, and hope like crazy that there are no others in front of you that are more qualified. (1 October begins the new year).

I was under the impression you needed the credits, but I could be wrong. Your best bet would be to make contact with the recruiter and find out 'from the horses mouth'. If you do, then you'll have to figure out a way to get them. (Online courses, maybe?)

I understand working multiple jobs, believe me, I've done it for many years (and it's a reason I never really went to college myself). But that shouldn't stop you from educating yourself! Read! Get a library card (they are free) and start by checking out some books you might enjoy. You might want to check out some ASVAB test prep books as well.

Something to consider.

Honestly your advice and opinions have helped alot. I ran into a guy today and we got on the subject of military and he told me that he was having trouble getting into the Marines so he joined the army first and it helped him enlist in the Marines after his army enlistment.

Any advice on this idea if I can't get anywhere with the recruiter? I don't really wanna have to be in the army but if it will help me eventually reach the Marines then I'm willing to do it.

Last edited by Sgt Leprechaun; 04-12-10 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Style point

I fixed your post..."Marines" shall be capitalized at all times. Yes, we take it that seriously.

Regarding that, yes, it will likely help. It may not be your first 'choice', but if it helps you attain your 'final' goal (of being a Marine) then it's worth it in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    I fixed your post..."Marines" shall be capitalized at all times. Yes, we take it that seriously.

Regarding that, yes, it will likely help. It may not be your first 'choice', but if it helps you attain your 'final' goal (of being a Marine) then it's worth it in the long run.
    Sorry. I only get to post on break so I try to make it quick, dont always get to check all my grammar. wont happen again. : )

No worries.

Wow bad day. I talked to the Marine recruiter this morning. He told me that right now they aren't excepting any GEDS that dont have 15 college credits. So after I left his office I went on over to talk to the army guys. Then they told me the exact same thing.

So I just got off the phone with the IVY Tech college closest to me, and its gonna take 16 weeks as a full time student to get the 15 credits. I cant devote enough time to being a full time student so this is gonna take me like another 6-12 months to get these credits. This was a HUGE mood kill today. I had really hoped to atleast be able to get into the DEP program within the next 6 months or so. I hate to think of it being another year and a half or 2 years before I can actually enlist into any branch.

Guess its time to kick it into override and reduce my sleep schedule to 3 hours a night. Any inspiring words of wisdom to keep me going please?

Wow bad day. I talked to the Marine recruiter this morning. He told me that right now they aren't excepting any GEDS that dont have 15 college credits. So after I left his office I went on over to talk to the army guys. Then they told me the exact same thing.

So I just got off the phone with the IVY Tech college closest to me, and its gonna take 16 weeks as a full time student to get the 15 credits. I cant devote enough time to being a full time student so this is gonna take me like another 6-12 months to get these credits. This was a HUGE mood kill today. I had really hoped to atleast be able to get into the DEP program within the next 6 months or so. I hate to think of it being another year and a half or 2 years before I can actually enlist into any branch.

Guess its time to kick it into override and reduce my sleep schedule to 3 hours a night. Any inspiring words of wisdom to keep me going please?
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”

-Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by fjmas1976 View Post
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”

-Theodore Roosevelt
    Thank you Sir. I really needed that to rally my spirits today.

Thank you Sir. I really needed that to rally my spirits today.
    When I was at Parris Island my Dad sent that to me. Keep working toward your goal. If the end is worth it, your hard work and sacrifice will pay off. AND, don't call me Sir....I work for a living! Ha. Good luck and keep charging

Thread Information