When do I give up?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

When do I give up?

Good Day Marines,

I recently spoke with a recruiter regarding my eligibility for reserve. I passed the mini-asvab, and the evaluation was going well until he inquired about my half sleeve.

The Recruiter stated that the half sleeve is an automatic disqualifier, due to the new tattoo standards/policy. The tattoo (a vague design, nothing offensive) covers my shoulder and bicep, but does not extend beyond the elbow. (I have scheduled appointments for laser removal next week, no scarring)

Unfortunately - for me, not the Recruiter - we did not go any further into detail, therefore we did not discuss my marital status, or how many dependents I have. I realize the busy schedule that a recruiter endures, therefore I accepted his final answer ("I would like to proceed, but I have an objective to recruit qualified people, and the tattoo is a disqualifier") and carried on.

At this point I was ready to give up and try another branch, but I'm not giving up! Nothing is impossible, and if I remove my tattoo, there has got to be a way I can join. Right?

Also, I have two children 5 & 6. I am not married, but live happily with the mother of my two children. Would this be a disqualifier?

It seems as though a driving force is preventing me from getting into the Marines. I have a good job that pays for my school, a beautiful family, everything I can ask for, but the one thing I want most is not so easy to obtain. I know once I earn my degree from college, I can find a good job and live the good life with a house on a hill and a picket fence. Unfortunately I would not be content. There would always be a deep regret of never serving my country.

I realize there are other ways to serve as a civilian, but the distinct discipline and brotherhood that the Marines have, is not apparent in civilian life. I also realize there are other branches of service, but there's probably no better feeling than knowing when you look beside you, a Marine is there with you.

As I mentioned, I'm not going to give up so easily and throw in the towel yet. When the Marine Recruiter told me I was disqualified, it was like the first girl that told me she wasn't interested. I hit the gym and approached her a year later stronger than ever, now I have two kids with her.

Thank you in advance for any feedback, Marines.

James

I personally think a recruiter is going to give you the most accurate and up to date information out there reguarding eligibility. They know the regs inside and out. Some things were meant to be, some things were not.

There are other ways you can serve your country, maybe just not in the Corps.

Good luck.

James, I honestly don't know. I'm sure others will chime in here shortly and offer their advice but for what my 2 cents are worth: never give up.

Dependents
    In general, DOD prohibits the enlistment of any applicant who has more than two dependents under the age of 18. While the services are allowed to waive this policy, they often will not. In fact, most of the services are even more strict in their policies.

The Navy, for example requires a waiver for any applicant with more than one dependent (including the spouse). To receive a waiver, the applicant must show that they are financially responsible (which means the Navy will check their credit report).

In the Marine Corps, a waiver is required if an applicant has any dependent under the age of 18.

The Air Force will do a financial eligibility determination (see below) if the member has any dependents at all.

The Army requires a waiver if the applicant has two or more dependents (in addition to the spouse).

The Coast Guard requires a waiver if there is more than one dependent (other than spouse), unless the applicant is enlisting in the grade of E-4 or above, when the limit is two dependents (other than spouse).

For enlistment purposes, a "dependent" is defined as:

a. A spouse, to include a common law spouse if the state recognizes such; or

b. Any natural child (legitimate or illegitimate) or child adopted by the applicant, if the child is under 18 years of age and unmarried, regardless of whether or not the applicant has custody of the child. The term natural child includes any illegitimate child when: the applicant claims the child as theirs, or the applicant's name is listed on the birth certificate as the parent, or a court order establishes paternity; or if any person makes an allegation of paternity that has not been finally adjudicated by a court; or

c. A stepchild of the applicant who resides with the applicant if the stepchild is under 18 years of age; or

d. Any parent or other person(s) who is/are, in fact, dependent on the applicant for more than one-half of their support.

In general, for enlistment purposes, an applicant is considered to be without a spouse (unmarried), if:

a. Common law marriage has not been recognized by a civil court, or state law.

b. Spouse incarcerated.

c. Spouse deceased.

d. Spouse has deserted the applicant.

e. Spouse legally separated from the applicant. (For the Army, separation by "mutual consent" is sufficient.)

f. Applicant or spouse has filed for divorce. (Note: If the divorce action is "contested," the service may deny enlistment until after the dispute is resolved in family court).
    Before a dependency waiver is granted for any of the services, the recruiting service will conduct a financial eligibility determination.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...tandards_2.htm

Tattoo (Body Art) Policy
    Mar 24 2007

The Marine Corps is getting more strict about tatoos according to Marine administrative message 198/07.

“This clarification came about because there was room for interpretation of the old policy,” said Lt. Col. T.V. Johnson, spokesman for the commandant of the Marine Corps. “The commandant had this issue come up at every town hall meeting that he attended and wanted to make the policy fair across the board, squashing any margin for error.”

The message details new guidelines for Marines with tattoos, specifically, restricting them from getting sleeve tattoos while protecting those who already have them.

Effective April 1, Marines are prohibited from getting sleeve tattoos. Those individuals who have sleeve tattoos are required to be documented by their command by July 1.

A sleeve tattoo is a very large tattoo, or collection of smaller tattoos, that covers or almost covers a person’s entire arm or leg. Half-sleeve or quarter-sleeve tattoos that are visible to the eye when wearing a standard physical training T-shirt and shorts are likewise prohibited.

Marines who currently have sleeve tattoos need to have them photographed by their command and have them documented in their service record books to be grandfathered into this policy.

Current Tattoo Policy
    The Marine Corps takes a conservative approach to personal appearance. Uniform regulations stress that personal appearance is to be conservative and commensurate with the high standards traditionally associated with the Marine Corps. No eccentricities in dress or appearance are permitted because they detract from uniformity and team identity.

Marines are prohibited from:

a. Tattoos or brands on the head and neck.

b. Sleeve Tatoos. A sleeve tattoo is a very large tattoo, or a collection of smaller tattoos, that covers or almost covers a person's entire arm or leg.

c. Half-sleeve or quarter sleeve tattoos that are visible to the eye when wearing standard PT Gear (T-shirt and shorts). A half-sleeve or quarter-sleeve tattoo is defined as a very large tattoo or collection of smaller tattoos that covers, or almost covers the entire portion of an army or leg above or below the elbow or knee.

d. Tattoos or brands that are prejudicial to good order, discipline and morale, or are of a nature to bring discredit upon the Marine Corps. These may include, but are not limited to, any tattoo that is sexist, racist, vulgar, anti-american, anti-social, gang related, or extremest group or organization related.

Marines who currently have a sleeve tattoo(s) prior to 1 April 2007, will be grandfathered. The Marine's command will insert a photograph(s) of the respective (tattoo(s) along with a measurement(s) of the size in inches and of the location(s) on the body and the date the tattoo(s) was documented, on the Page 11 of the Marine's SRB. The Marine will sign the Page 11 entry verifying the information is correct.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/a/tattoo.htm

James, your profile says your 28. Was that an issue with the recruiter as well?

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It is what it is............

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by tdrt View Post
    James, I honestly don't know. I'm sure others will chime in here shortly and offer their advice but for what my 2 cents are worth: never give up.
    Thank you Sir, I won't give up. If it's not meant to be, then it won't happen. I'll suck it up and move on with my life. I'm removing the tattoo regardless of whether I qualify for the Marines or not. It's just an overall bad impression.

Quote Originally Posted by James Renazco View Post
    Thank you Sir, I won't give up.
    Don't take for granted that every Marine on this site is a male Marine. You might want to check the profile out first.

And good luck to you.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    Dependents
    In general, DOD prohibits the enlistment of any applicant who has more than two dependents under the age of 18. While the services are allowed to waive this policy, they often will not. In fact, most of the services are even more strict in their policies.

The Navy, for example requires a waiver for any applicant with more than one dependent (including the spouse). To receive a waiver, the applicant must show that they are financially responsible (which means the Navy will check their credit report).

In the Marine Corps, a waiver is required if an applicant has any dependent under the age of 18.

The Air Force will do a financial eligibility determination (see below) if the member has any dependents at all.

The Army requires a waiver if the applicant has two or more dependents (in addition to the spouse).

The Coast Guard requires a waiver if there is more than one dependent (other than spouse), unless the applicant is enlisting in the grade of E-4 or above, when the limit is two dependents (other than spouse).

For enlistment purposes, a "dependent" is defined as:

a. A spouse, to include a common law spouse if the state recognizes such; or

b. Any natural child (legitimate or illegitimate) or child adopted by the applicant, if the child is under 18 years of age and unmarried, regardless of whether or not the applicant has custody of the child. The term natural child includes any illegitimate child when: the applicant claims the child as theirs, or the applicant's name is listed on the birth certificate as the parent, or a court order establishes paternity; or if any person makes an allegation of paternity that has not been finally adjudicated by a court; or

c. A stepchild of the applicant who resides with the applicant if the stepchild is under 18 years of age; or

d. Any parent or other person(s) who is/are, in fact, dependent on the applicant for more than one-half of their support.

In general, for enlistment purposes, an applicant is considered to be without a spouse (unmarried), if:

a. Common law marriage has not been recognized by a civil court, or state law.

b. Spouse incarcerated.

c. Spouse deceased.

d. Spouse has deserted the applicant.

e. Spouse legally separated from the applicant. (For the Army, separation by "mutual consent" is sufficient.)

f. Applicant or spouse has filed for divorce. (Note: If the divorce action is "contested," the service may deny enlistment until after the dispute is resolved in family court).
    Before a dependency waiver is granted for any of the services, the recruiting service will conduct a financial eligibility determination.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...tandards_2.htm

Tattoo (Body Art) Policy
    Mar 24 2007

The Marine Corps is getting more strict about tatoos according to Marine administrative message 198/07.

“This clarification came about because there was room for interpretation of the old policy,” said Lt. Col. T.V. Johnson, spokesman for the commandant of the Marine Corps. “The commandant had this issue come up at every town hall meeting that he attended and wanted to make the policy fair across the board, squashing any margin for error.”

The message details new guidelines for Marines with tattoos, specifically, restricting them from getting sleeve tattoos while protecting those who already have them.

Effective April 1, Marines are prohibited from getting sleeve tattoos. Those individuals who have sleeve tattoos are required to be documented by their command by July 1.

A sleeve tattoo is a very large tattoo, or collection of smaller tattoos, that covers or almost covers a person’s entire arm or leg. Half-sleeve or quarter-sleeve tattoos that are visible to the eye when wearing a standard physical training T-shirt and shorts are likewise prohibited.

Marines who currently have sleeve tattoos need to have them photographed by their command and have them documented in their service record books to be grandfathered into this policy.

Current Tattoo Policy
    The Marine Corps takes a conservative approach to personal appearance. Uniform regulations stress that personal appearance is to be conservative and commensurate with the high standards traditionally associated with the Marine Corps. No eccentricities in dress or appearance are permitted because they detract from uniformity and team identity.

Marines are prohibited from:

a. Tattoos or brands on the head and neck.

b. Sleeve Tatoos. A sleeve tattoo is a very large tattoo, or a collection of smaller tattoos, that covers or almost covers a person's entire arm or leg.

c. Half-sleeve or quarter sleeve tattoos that are visible to the eye when wearing standard PT Gear (T-shirt and shorts). A half-sleeve or quarter-sleeve tattoo is defined as a very large tattoo or collection of smaller tattoos that covers, or almost covers the entire portion of an army or leg above or below the elbow or knee.

d. Tattoos or brands that are prejudicial to good order, discipline and morale, or are of a nature to bring discredit upon the Marine Corps. These may include, but are not limited to, any tattoo that is sexist, racist, vulgar, anti-american, anti-social, gang related, or extremest group or organization related.

Marines who currently have a sleeve tattoo(s) prior to 1 April 2007, will be grandfathered. The Marine's command will insert a photograph(s) of the respective (tattoo(s) along with a measurement(s) of the size in inches and of the location(s) on the body and the date the tattoo(s) was documented, on the Page 11 of the Marine's SRB. The Marine will sign the Page 11 entry verifying the information is correct.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/a/tattoo.htm
    Thank you for the information Marine.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    Don't take for granted that every Marine on this site is a male Marine. You might want to check the profile out first.

And good luck to you.
    You are absolutely right, two slaps in the face for being a donkey. My apologies for ASSuming the Marine was a male.

Quote Originally Posted by James Renazco View Post
    You are absolutely right, two slaps in the face for being a donkey. My apologies for ASSuming the Marine was a male.
    It is perfectly acceptable to call a woman Marine "Sir" also. It's a sign of respect and that's the important thing.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tdrt View Post
    It is perfectly acceptable to call a woman Marine "Sir" also. It's a sign of respect and that's the important thing.
    There is nothing like saluting a Women Marine in the Morning .
    But.. I prefer to say Mame.......

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Don't give up. Recruiting numbers are high right now for various reasons so the Corps can be very selective. There is a line of younger applicants with no disqualifying issues right behind you.

But that doesn't mean you should give up. I highly doubt the recruiter will get mad at you if you pop in every few months to see if things have changed. All the while, keep working and studying and taking care of your family.

tdrt is right: don't give up. Don't let your age stop you either. It's not common to see a recruit in his 30s but it's also not unheard of.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by CplKJSpevak View Post
    James, your profile says your 28. Was that an issue with the recruiter as well?
    My age was not much of an issue, he said it would only be an issue if I wanted to join active, however I am interested in the reserve.

I know it is much more of a challenge physically, but I can run like Forest Gump. I'm not worried about being called "grandpa" or any other name in the book, trust me, my fiance' has said it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhode Island View Post
    There is nothing like saluting a Women Marine in the Morning .
    But.. I prefer to say Mame.......

Semper Fi,
    Rocky
    Ya, I've been saluted a few times... what were we talking about again?

Thread Information