Will I be disqualified for enlistment?
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Will I be disqualified for enlistment?

My name is Devin, I am 17 years old. I have wanted to be in the military since I can remember and a Marine since 5th grade. But now I will continue with my question.

I suppose that this somewhat ties in with the security clearance thread but I would like to make it a little more case specific.

In December I was arrested. The charges are as follows:
    - Possesion of Marijuana- under 20 grams ( 1st degree misdemeanor)
    - Trespassing on a construction site ( 3rd degree felony)

I am currently undergoing a program sponsored by my County/State where I complete sanctions in 90 days, the charges will be dropped. I was told that this means it basically never happened and wouldn't come up on a regular background check. But I have had mixed information as to whether or not the government can see it. If they can, will I be disqualified for enlistment? This was my first time ever being arrested and the most trouble I have gotten prior to this was a dentention at school. All advice is welcome, Just ask that you try to save your lectures (don't mean to be arrogant or anything but I have probably heard it.) Thank you.

Best Regards,
    -Devin

You would have a hard time getting in now. They can find out anything and everything they want to about you. They are pretty picky now days.

Don't count on getting a waiver approved these days.
    And like usmcmsf said, they are very picky these days and you'll have a hard time getting in now, especially with the Marine Corps meeting its quota and beyond.

Criminal History Waivers
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marin...minal.-um-.htm

Always disclose everything but there is the (small) chance that if the charges are dropped when they ask the county in question your record will come back clean. It doesn't matter what you tell them, they will go based off what the background check finds.

Do not try to lie. If you do that and get caught, forget ever enlisting.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Court records NEVER go away. They may be sealed, they may be restricted, but they NEVER go away. Same thing with the police reports.

It is not hard for a reasonably proficient background investigator to discover that these records exist and if he/she really wants to read them, that too is very possible because you will be required to allow access as a condition of employment or granting of a security clearance.

Sadly, everyone else is stating the truth. These days people are lined up trying to get into the Corps and the recruiters are not taking people needing waivers of your type. Why do all that work when the next kid in the door is 100% clean?

Everyone here pretty much said what needs to be said.

However, I have to ask...You've always wanted to be a Marine, yet you didn't have the self discipline to stay away from drugs and not trespass? Have you stopped using drugs at all?

Your offenses are waiverable but like everyone said, why are they going to put time and effort into someone when there is a line of people who kept themselves out of trouble waiting to get in? Best bet is to wait until you complete all required sentences before approaching a recruiter. Stay clean.

You may have a shot at the reserves.

Unfortunatley I lacked the self-discipline to make the right decision. However I admit my mistake and take full responsibility for what I did. I have not touched drugs ever since, nor will I ever. I have bootcamp this Saturday where I guess they yell at me and try to scare me out of ever using drugs again, which is unecessary because I have learned my lesson. Thank you for your responses, I will do everything in my power to right this and hopefully be granted waivers for my mistake.

Best Regards,
    -Devin

If you lack self-discipline, why would I want you in my Corps? You realize we (can) deal with very dangerous things. Even toting a rifle or pistol around can be dangerous. Think about it...Marines don't lack self-discipline (well, most).

Quote Originally Posted by polizei View Post
    If you lack self-discipline, why would I want you in my Corps? You realize we (can) deal with very dangerous things. Even toting a rifle or pistol around can be dangerous. Think about it...Marines don't lack self-discipline (well, most).
    The whole point of recruit training is to instill discipline. Out 90 some odd recruits maybe ten had a decent amount of discipline prior to those three months.

If he truly wants to be disciplined, a drill instructor team will certainly make that happen.

Well, what I meant to say was I lacked obvious self discipline in this situation, there is no point in denying it. I don't believe I lack self discipline entirely. I made a bad decision and I want a second chance, But not everyone gets a second chance.

Why would you want me in your Corps? I have Honor in the sense that I stood tall and know what I did was wrong, and I don't blame anyone but myself. I have Courage in the sense that I accept my punishment and won't let this affect me in a negative way. I have Commitment in the sense that I will do all that is necessary to complete my given sanctions in the alotted time and do everything to get a waiver approved.

Like I previously posted, don't count on getting that waiver approved when the Marine Corps is looking for those who don't have to get any waivers for anything......period.

It's good that you're stepping up for your actions. But like WMarine said, it might be too late. Just keep trying.

Sorry but the goal was 202k we have 205k. We have a few guys actually getting kicked for some stupid stuff down here. And once your 18 all charges should be wiped off your record? Unless it is only certain charges/states that do that

Also another way to help your case is to get some college credit under your belt. From what I've read here recruiters are looking for HS Grads with 15+ credits.

You made some stupid mistakes as a kid, cleaned up and got some college. That shows responsibility and that you've tried to make up for your mistakes.

Thread Information