Sitrep From Afghan
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sitrep From Afghan

Hope all in well back in the states and that you have a Merry Christmas. All is well in my AO, Marines are loving it. It is a Sqd leaders dream come true. They are out about patrolling and meeting with the locals. So far so good. I wish I was still a sqd leader. The Marines have it rough but that is the way they like it, ya right 1stSgt!!The people are stuck in a biblical time era but at the same time it is amazing what they can do. They are hard workers and just want to work in the fields and harvest the crops bad part is the enemy mixes in with them. The weather is not to bad, around 40 at night 60 in the day(excellent patrolling weather). The land is flat and desert terrain. Well that is just a snap shot of the area I am in. Once again hope all are well and see you soon. SF

1stSgt P. T. Davis
    Company 1stSgt
    Weapons Company, 1st Battalion, 3rd Marines
    Regimental Combat Team 7
    Nawa District, Helmand Province, Afghanistan

...and another

From an in-country Company Commander of the Third Battalion, Fourth Marines.

I finally have a minute to sit down and write a letter concerning the
    past few weeks here in Now Zad. I wanted to make sure that I got the word
    out to everyone, so please send this out to friends and family that I may
    have missed on the distro list. I first want to say how incredibly proud of
    my boys I am. These Marines have been amazing and continue to be amazing.
    Between them and the amazing support staff that we have in 3/4 that allows
    us to do quite literally whatever we want to the Taliban, this has almost
    been an easy operation. Here are the up sides:
    1) Not a single Marine was killed or seriously wounded during this
    operation.
    2) We have taken more ground, run off more Taliban, liberated more
    villages, and seized more weapons and Home Made Explosives than has ever
    happened in Now Zad. One of the caches of HME that we blew up was over 1100
    lbs of HME (for a reference, that's over 16 "Mine-Proof" vehicles completely
    destroyed) and it was the largest find in Helmand Province. Ever.
    3) We air inserted two companies, behind enemy lines, while my company
    went straight up the gut of the enemy's defense on the ground. The enemy
    was so terrified that he abandoned his stockpiles and ran away to where he
    thought he was safe. Some of them ran right into the arms of the British
    Battalion to our East, some of them we have hunted down since they ran.
    More importantly, we have begun to HOLD the ground by immediately building
    coalition positions in strategic locations all over the valley and
    partnering with the local Police and Army units. Let's not forget, the
    infantry is a TERRAIN based organization. We don't have to kill people in
    order to do our job, only if those people don't want us on that specific
    piece of dirt and wants to come get a taste.
    4) We aggressively sought out and crushed a Murder and Intimidation
    racket that was going on in our AO. (M&I campaigns are used when the enemy
    has no other tactic but overwhelming fear to instill on the local
    population. The 'night letters' that were being delivered said things like:
    "If you accept help from Coalition Forces we will kill your children one by
    one..." Except that Marines got to the letter writers first. Whammy.
    5) We have re-opened a once deserted town to the people and have begun
    to pay them to clean it up. Quick cash infusion + Heavy labor for young men
    + promise of more work = no young guys re-enlisting in the Taliban. One of
    the key components of this plan was to instantly follow up with a Civil
    Affairs Group that would handle local national problems that weren't related
    to the Taliban (food, shelter, work, etc...)
    6) We have begun Medical Programs for the locals with what supplies we
    have. Those supplies are limited, but they are able to cover things like
    burns, and kids stepping on mines (yes, we MedEvac them just like we would a
    Marine), and skin rashes, and even an infant with pneumonia who is just
    fine, now.
    7) Our engineers breached a mine-field that had completely frozen other
    forces. Our Danish friends brought some tanks to help us out and they were
    able to break up one or two ambushes for us. Nothing is cooler than getting
    ambushed and having tanks with you to respond. Nothing
    8) Your Marines stayed on point, in the freezing cold weather, with the
    rain soaking them to the bone, to hunt down the Taliban who had been
    abusing, killing, and stealing from the people of the Now Zad Valley.
    9) We are bringing back government into Now Zad, so people have an
    alternative than the Taliban to settle their legal disputes, and have
    someone to hold accountable for a lack of medical coverage, and to go to
    with their grievances about farming and commerce and security. They won't
    NEED us to hold them up any longer.
    If all of this sounds like hubris, maybe it is. But I'm so proud of my
    Company and my Battalion for the planning and the execution and the follow
    through that they have done. Be proud of your Marines, they did good workin December. Merry Christmas to everyone. Much Love to all, let your
    friends know, we're winning and it feels good.

Great reports! glad everyone is safe and helping the locals get back on their feet! Big OORAH to the Engineers for doing what they do best.... Breaching!

Good news about our men in 3/4,and the great job they're doing.......OOORAH........get some.....

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Awesome reports. Thanks for the hard work Marines.

Former Marine of 1/3, just wanting to say R.I.P Lance Cpl. Mark D. Juarez and Lance Cpl. Jacob A. Meinert, you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by pblzr09 View Post
    Former Marine of 1/3, just wanting to say R.I.P Lance Cpl. Mark D. Juarez and Lance Cpl. Jacob A. Meinert, you will be missed
    God bless their souls.............
    Two more souls reporting sir,they've served their time in hell....
    SEMPER FI

Hey guys,nice job.My generation was mostly in Asia in our times.But I'm sure everyone agrees that all of our spirits are with you guys in the new corps.You've all made us so proud.SF

This report is amazing to even hear about, knowing the status of Now Zad just a year ago. I dont think many people can even fathom this change. I am not even sure if 3/4 can from holding this area with a Company and not being able to move in a 2 klick area to being able to have government and commerce. Wow is all I can say

OutStanding Sitrep ... OOOOOOH-RAHHHHHH!!!! Get Some 3/4.

SF

Marines Build Observation Posts Along Infamous Road
    By Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Walter Marino
    Special to American Forces Press Service
    HELMAND PROVINCE, Afghanistan, Jan. 13, 2010 – The 2nd Combat Engineer Battalion convoy stopped, and Marines looked at each other with confused looks, knowing that there are very few reasons a convoy abruptly comes to a halt. The machine gunners swiveled in their turrets on high alert, surveying the area.

As they traveled down an infamous road known as Route Cowboys, a road viscously laden with improvised explosive devices, the battalion’s Marines found roadside bombs and a weapons cache.

The battalion's mission was to travel to three designated positions and build observation posts along the route. With surveillance on the road, officials hope to decrease the threat posed by roadside bombs.

Numerous observation posts have been built along the notorious route, developing a chain of security. Each post has sight to the next one, and with each new post comes increased road security.

"Our goal is to get eyes in the structure and to fight and have a clear path for us and the people of Afghanistan," said Marine Corps Staff Sgt. Juan A. Perez, a combat engineer. "The people see that we’re fixing roads and adding protection. It's good in so many ways and aspects, and the Marines will have a place if they get engaged."

Roadside bombs left the Marines several hours behind schedule, but they were determined to finish in a timely manner. They worked from early morning to late into the night on a rocky dirt path surrounded by brush, mud houses and a murky green canal.

Shoveling mounds of dirt, placing concertina wire and sawing lumber were just a few of the tasks Marines did to create the posts, and although tired, they didn’t complain.

"Hard work doesn't bother me, because I know the job has to be done,” said Marine Corps Sgt. Jonathan J. Sanabria, a truck master. “The sooner, the better."

Large bundles of hollow barriers were unloaded from trucks to be filled with dirt for fortification. Getting the massive amounts of dirt needed to fill the barriers can be quite an exercise.

"It's tough, but sometimes you’ve just got to push through and get the job done,” said Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Sherwin O. Charles, a motor transport operator. “What gets me through it is seeing everyone come together through that hard work, and getting the mission done."

An interpreter working with the Marines also decided to get his hands dirty.

"I'm always trying to help, because they're working hard. Everyone was tired," said Jamshid, an interpreter for the American forces. "I thought, ‘Let’s help them, because they are tired.’ I like to work with good people that work for peace in Afghanistan. One day, this post may stop some bullets and save someone's life."

Each post took several hours to create. But after three days of work, all three observation posts were completed and manned by infantry Marines. With their work done, the 2nd Combat Engineer Battalion Marines convoyed back to their base on an IED-free route.

(Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Walter Marino serves in the public affairs office of the 1st Marine Division’s Regimental Combat Team 7.)

SitRep. Maj Pain

I was able to get my weekly shower today, if I needed it or not. Your Marines continue to take the fight to the enemy and keep them off balance. Thanksgiving has come and gone and we all have a lot to be thankful for as young studs keep the bad guys away from innocent civilians throughout the area.
    Your warriors are hooking and jabbing with bad guys that believe they can scare off your fighting Marines. ….well, they have another thing coming! Patrols are relentless, the weather is getting colder and morale is high. If I have to hear another news article about how your warriors morale is bad I’m gonna puke. Apparently they aren’t talking to warriors here in country because your Marines work their butts off daily and then go out for more. Thousands of miles away from home, equipped with the best gear possible on the planet, they march directly into the bad guys and make them have a very bad day. So if you happen to read some tree-hugging report about this and that and boo hoo they don’t have this or that, its BS….and most importantly, the ones doing the fighting, are feeding off of it.
    The dirt is everywhere, showers are over rated and sleep is a crutch. Having a bad day? Just think of the 20 yr old out doing America’s great work over here, day after day and kicking butt! Yer day just got a whole lot better huh? Before you jump on the finger pointing parade, write one of these warriors and get it firsthand….otherwise keep quoting some reporter who is stating his opinion about morale vise facts.

Time for another cigar--Semper

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Too the Brave Good Fortune~GodSpeed Keep your Head @ Butt wired together Marine.S/F

Hi Good Men and Women of American

First off: I am NOT going to ask you for MONEY... BUT

I am going to ask you to do something for our brave men and women serving in Harm’s Way in IRAQ and AFGHANISTAN.

Thank you, Jack D. Mc Hugh
    Major of Marines
    Retired 1975
    “Not as Lean, not as mean, but still a Marine”

Background: In November 2004, I learned that to send a package or letter to a serviceman / woman, it had to be addressed to a specific individual to have the Post Office to accept and process the mail. To meet this requirement we have identified individual contacts serving in IRAQ/AFGHANISTAN who will receive and pass on what we send them to the servicemen / women in the area they are located.

#1 Comments/request from our deployed troops:
    1/9/10 SgtMaj William Heyob, (2/2 SgtMaj) Thanks again Jack for everything that you are doing for us. I know that I have not written in a while, we have been extremely busy. We just completed a large operation that utilized the vast majority of the Battalion for the last week and it was extremely successful. We now have Marines positioned in areas that has never had a friendly presence and we continue to pressure, punish, and pursue the enemy. We have located and destroyed over 150 IEDs, found over 100 cache sites, and have nearly 200 small arms engagements in the two months that we have been on deck. The Battalion has been performing their mission in an exemplary manner and the moral is through the roof.
    Again, we truly appreciate everything that you have done and are doing for us! Semper Fi Bill

1/18/10 SgtMaj William E. Heyob, (2/2 SgtMaj) Jack: Thank you for the Christmas Card that you sent to me. I see that it was postmarked 9 December but I just received it today. The mail is starting to speed up now that the Christmas rush is over, we are getting packages in under 2 weeks. We appreciate everything that you have done for our Warriors! Semper Fi Bill
    Note: When the SgtMaj says “Thanks to me (Jack) it really means Thank you , each one of you that did the work!!! Semper Fi Jack

1/14/10 Lt William Brown (2/2 Bn Surgeon) Mr Mc Hugh, I am the head medical guy for 2nd Battalion, 2nd Marines Regiment currently serving in Helmand province. I am writing because I am perpetually overwhelmed with the amount of support that the troops are getting from the folks back home. I can’t thank you enough. We receive many packages from several different people and organizations-as the mail takes forever to actually get to where we are, it comes in waves, and every mail call is like a mini-Christmas. …..There are four providers and 61 Navy Corpsmen working with 2/2. We see a whole lot of the local populace, especially children……If you wanted to send pain meds and vitamins, prenatal vitamins, and multivitamins for adults (Marines), those would be very welcome by all of the Marines and Corpsmen here, and no-one has included those items in care packages yet…..Thank you. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Thank you, With H/R Malcolm Brown.

#2 Postage / stamps / product provided this period:
    -Ms Marlene P, Denver, CO ($-for product/postage)
    -Maria D, Germany ($-for product/postage)
    -LtCol Louis J.B.,USMC/Ret ($-for product/postage)

Thank you in advance for what you do for our troops and please pass this on to your contacts!

Jack D. Mc Hugh
    Major of Marines, Retired
    “Integrity in not occasional “

To observe a Marine is inspirational and to be a Marine is exceptional!!!!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Stay wired...stay alert....Good job Marines !!!

Semper Fi

Thread Information