Outdoors Zephyr - Page 10
Create Post
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Outdoors Zephyr

"Archaeologists have three basic theories regarding the Indian Pits. One is that the pits were built by young Native Americans who traveled to the mountain for their guardian spirit quest. Seeking a spiritual vision, they would fast and sit isolated in the pits for days.
    Another theory is that the pits were used as hunting blinds. Until the 20th century, the Silver Star area was home to mountain sheep and mountain goats. Both of these species used talus slopes to escape natural predators such as cougars or wolves. Native American hunters may have hidden in the pits waiting to ambush sheep or goats forced uphill by other hunters located in the brush and timber below.
    The third theory is that the pits were used as food caches, or food storage areas. These types of features are commonly found throughout the Columbia River Gorge" ~Gifford Pinchot National Forest.

N 45° 44' 13. 3"
    W 122° 14' 11. 3"
    Position Format~ hddd°mm'ss."

Whatever the purpose: it looks like they've been undisturbed for a long time if patina and lichen formation means anything, but they're not very comfortable for taking a nap after a tough uphill ridge-line hump. The pits pretty much line up north - south and the best view is east. If you can get cozy they block the wind out pretty well, which is about the only distraction on that finger unless it's raining or snowing; so maybe they were used for "vision questing"

I don't believe the food dugout theory, the area is just too remote and on the way to nowhere. It's hard to get there from any approach and the bears would likely scatter whatever was used as a lid.

Got friends that like going canoeing, kayaking and rafting. After pounding tent states and other incidentals into rocky soil I think I'd like to pick up a pick axe.

Anyone recommend one in particular or am I going to be humping a full size?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRemorse View Post
    Got friends that like going canoeing, kayaking and rafting. After pounding tent states and other incidentals into rocky soil I think I'd like to pick up a pick axe.

Anyone recommend one in particular or am I going to be humping a full size?

Have you checked the outdoors places, like Gander?

I'm guessing you want to use it as a pry tool to get the tent stakes out? Depending on the soil, you might need a full sized one just for the torque you need to put on it.

We did some camping with Cub Scouts and we ended up having to use a truck floor jack and some nylon strapping to pull the stakes (luckily one guy had a jack in his tool box). Worked fine, but rather impractical for hiking.

Forged not casted and i think it was about $7 at the pawn shop, without sheath.

yes that's a 1930 something buff nickel on an air hockey table

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    Have you checked the outdoors places, like Gander?

I'm guessing you want to use it as a pry tool to get the tent stakes out? Depending on the soil, you might need a full sized one just for the torque you need to put on it.

We did some camping with Cub Scouts and we ended up having to use a truck floor jack and some nylon strapping to pull the stakes (luckily one guy had a jack in his tool box). Worked fine, but rather impractical for hiking.
    Among other things had some other things that needed to be driven into the rocky soil because of these gear heads.

Skulls just being a few of those things. I think I'll just have to wear a full-sized; probably have to invest in a new shovel too. Slit trench takes care of what sub-standard camping facilities can't.

And 40+ pounds of easy-up versus 120 sq/ft of rain tarp with cord and guy wires; no friggen contest. If you can't hump it; dump it. applies to so many things.

The 'original' recipe for hard surface has been used for decades on canvas and cowboy hats, chaps, boots, nauga, you name it

This stuff is better, lays Scotchguard and Campdry to waste and smells less caustic/more human friendly than other Waterseal products

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    as a kid i used to just pack a small hatchet.and my old 308..made leantos out of bowes..slept with an old mummybag on hard ground and ate what i could pack or scrounge...now days i let the horses pack all the comforts of home tent tarp beds carpet for the floor stove lanterns and large quantities of food...and some pellets for the horses... life is soooo much easyer after the work is done...... packing un packing setting up camp takin care of the horses.....have to stay a week to rest up enough to do it all over again and move out
    be safe good people

Thread Information