Cutting your own hair.
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cutting your own hair.

I've been wondering about this question for quite a while. After I saw the thread in The Open Squad Bay it reminded to come here and ask. I've been cutting my own hair for a while and it's just alot easier and saves quite a bit of money. Are you able to cut your own hair with say a 0 or a 1 and do that all around, or do you have to have a fade like from a 2 on top to a 1 on side. Not really important, I'm just curious haha.

Thanks Marines.

Regulation is 0 to evenly graduated (faded), so if you want to shave your head go for it. You can do it bald, or a 0, but you HAVE to have a 0 or bald.

You can do a 0 into a maximum of 3 inches on top. I'd suggest looking up common Marine cuts:

High and Tight
    High Reg
    Med Reg
    Low Reg

Edit* And you won't want to cut your own hair most likely. Our instructors at MP school were pretty strict on no-barracks cuts. If you got caught well, that's your fault. Most of the time it looks like crap.

I use a 3 myself and just have my mom do the trimmings around the neck and stuff. Doing a 0, you really would be able to see all the area's that you missed you would think. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

On ship, you'll use a Marine barber (one of your buddies that has some training or just wants to do it). If you can do it so that it looks regulation and 'right', then no one will say anything. If it looks jacked up then you'll know for sure.

If you've figured out how to do it right, or trust someone you know to do it, then fine. Just be prepared to shave it all off if it looks like crap.

Also, get the honest opinions of several people before showing up to work the next morning.

lol Barracks cut Barber shops are always open (24/7).. *NOTE* Not all Marines should be qualified as Barbers, a MAXIMUM OF 20 H/R M/R L/R is recommended.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    We had a WM that did hair that was on the same floor in the barracks. Believe it or not, she has been the only person that could cut my hair and I loved it. Loved me some barracks barbers.

Thanks for the answers Marines. I dont think it would be that hard to really mess up with a 0. Only problem you would have is trimming the back of your neck, normally have my mom do that for me.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    i have been cutting my own hair now for the last 8 months or so, once you start doing it and you get a system down of how to do it you should be ok. I refuse to pay $10 for a haircut 2 times per week (i like keeping it clean cut)

Thats why I had asked. It will save quite a bit of money over the years.

Obviously in boot you are going to have the bald look for a couple of months but once you get to MCT/SOI and there on out you will be able to choose what you want to do with your hair as long as it meets Marine Corps regs (0-3inches), typical cuts include the traditonal military high-n-tight, high, low and med regs, or just straight-up bald/buzz cut. As long as it meets MC Regulations and isnt considered eccentric then you are good to go.

It all vaires on where you are as to what the rules are for cutting your own hair. When I was at SOI and Security Forces School, I had fellow Marines cutting hair, it just depends on where you are and what your NCOs, SNCOs and Officers say.

I agree. When I was at MCT it was no barracks cuts. Now, I cut 3 or 4 peoples hair a Sunday, or if someone gets a ****ty cut I normally am the one for my platoon that cleans it up. However, I go to a barber to get mine cut so it's all in personal choice.

Honestly i'd rather try my luck with a barracks cut after seeing how 29 palms barbers cut hair :O

Some of the best haircuts I've ever gotten were overseas from fellow Marines in my unit. Just make sure that you watch them cut other Marines first to make sure they know what they're doing. No worse feeling in the world then telling the person cutting your hair that you want a low fade and you end up with the reverse horseshoe.

Ouch

Thread Information