K-Bar sheath.
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: K-Bar sheath.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

K-Bar sheath.

Lep. I need some help. My son brought home a sheath that was clamed to be in 'Nam. Now, I don't know much, but it has no Mil Spec numbers, top of facing leather starts with K-Bar in caps, under is the EGA in a circle, and lower is USMC in caps. Stiching looks normal except it is re-inforced with steel staples. 9 to be exact.
    I know this ain't no uniform, but if you can help, I would like that.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    Lep. I need some help. My son brought home a sheath that was clamed to be in 'Nam. Now, I don't know much, but it has no Mil Spec numbers, top of facing leather starts with K-Bar in caps, under is the EGA in a circle, and lower is USMC in caps. Stiching looks normal except it is re-inforced with steel staples. 9 to be exact.
    I know this ain't no uniform, but if you can help, I would like that.

I'm not sure that this will help as things change through the years but mine, (I still have it) has no markings on it, has 7 rivets and is much heaver leather then the current aftermarket product.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Rivets? not staples? I thought the markings a bit overdone for Mil Spec. Was it issue? I had heard the only issue K-BAR in Nam went to pilots, but that is just my rumor.

Well I'm looking---yes they could be said to be staples because they just fold over on the back side. I was there in '62, not the same war as later. We were in green utilities, not the slant pocket new ones. Rules of engagement and all that crap were in constant change as was everthing else. If you want to see a pic of my sheath, I'll add it to a post.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I had a K-Bar issued to me in Vietnam. It was stitched and had staple reinforcements. My father's old WWII K-Bar is the same.

If it's as you describe, it's a KBar, but one from the late 80's-now. Not a Vietnam issue by any means.

Stiches and staples, or rivets, are correct for the versions from Vietnam and before.

This is the current 'style'.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    If it's as you describe, it's a KBar, but one from the late 80's-now. Not a Vietnam issue by any means.

Stiches and staples, or rivets, are correct for the versions from Vietnam and before.

Mine just has the stiches the same as the one on the pictures so would that be the Nam era also?

Sgt Lep I guess I got the 9 staples too,lol, Semper Fidelis.

K-Bar

I have an old K-Bar, that mky son found, on the side of the road, while changing a flat tire. The leather ring grip had rotted away, and the blade and tang were heavily rusted. The brass hand guard, was the only part on it that was shiny. He took it home, and wire-brushed the blade and tang. It shows the wire-brush marks, but the brand at the base of the blabe, came clear. The legends at the base of the blade read: Right side,CAMMILUS N.Y. The left side reads, U.S.N. Below that, next to the brass guard, It reads, MARK 2.
    My son wrapped the Tang with Parachute cord, to make a grip, then he gave it to me, as a Christmas gift. I hadn't seen one since I came home. I keep it hanging on my wall. All it lacks, is the U.S.M.C. brand, to make it perfect. SF. Ken

Ken, actually, that is correct for a Korean or Vietnam period KBar! USMC. Camillus was an authorized contractor for the Marine Corps.

Sgt 7477, yes, you are correct.

Ken, actually, that is correct for a Korean or Vietnam period KBar! USMC. Camillus was an authorized contractor for the Marine Corps.

Sgt 7477, yes, you are correct.
    Thank You Sgt Lep, Semper Fidelis.

Semper Fi!

My dads K-Bar from the Korean War was a stitched sheath

Yup. Typical.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thank you all,,,,, Now I know the staples puts it in the Korea, Nam era. Now, was it in Nam,,,,,, I'll never know.

Thread Information