Seabag
Create Post

Thread: Seabag

Cool Seabag

Submitted by: MCRD Parris Island
    Story Identification Number: 200382183455
    Story by Cpl. Thomas Perry

MCRD/ERR PARRIS ISLAND, S.C.(Aug. 22, 2003) -- Beginning in October, Marine Corps recruits will receive an altered seabag issue to include four significant changes, but these changes are not scheduled to affect current Marines until fiscal years 2005 and 2006.
    The changes include:

? A move from brass to gold plated buckles, tie clasps, insignia and buttons.

? A reduction in the number of men's and women's long sleeve khaki shirts from three to two.

? A change from black cushion sole socks to coyote brown boot socks.

? Replacement of the old green pull-over sweater to one with epaulettes, which are pieces of cloth located on the shoulder were Marines will were their rank.

The new sweater, which is the result of an idea thought up by two Marines from Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, serves a two-fold purpose.

"Marines were complaining that in order to wear their sweater they had to put one khaki shirt aside because it had holes left in it by their insignia," said Mary Boyt, program manager for the Marine Corps Uniform Board. "They were effectively rendering one of their khaki shirts unserviceable."

Boyt added that since the new sweater allows Marines to wear their rank on their epaulettes, the Marine Corps can now issue one less long sleeve khaki shirt, which will save the Marine Corps and the individual Marines money in the long run.

Permanent personnel are currently required to have the new sweater by fiscal year 2006, but according to Master Sgt. Philip Helm, staff non-commissioned officer in charge of Depot Clothing, uniform requirement dates can fluctuate because of availability.

Recruits take priority when it comes to uniform issue, said Helm, who explained that if recruits were to receive the old uniform items in recruit training, they would have to buy the new items once they graduated.

The move from brass to gold plated buckles, tie clasps, insignia and buttons follows the same train of thought.

"We found that the recruits were buying the new gold plated items once they graduated," said Boyt, who revealed that all of these changes stem from a Marine Corps Uniform Board enlisted review during fiscal year 2001. "We wanted to save the Marines money and really improve on the quality of the items they were issued."

As for the new coyote brown boot socks, permanent personnel are not required to wear them until fiscal year 2005, but Marine Corps officials believe that the new socks are an improvement over the current ones.

"Some of the items in the [seabag issue] had been given to Marines for a long time," said Boyt. "We really wanted to improve the quality of the seabag issue, and, with these changes, we have."

The Drifter

Registered User Free Member richgitz's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Whats with the GOLD plated S**T, Polishing Brass isn't in vogue.
    I guess BRASSO'S stock will go down.

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings
    DITTO SSgt

Polishing brass is as important as Spit Shine. We were allowed the plated stuff for everyday wear, but come inspection time, the 'green' better be off the brass.

Same with Corafram (?? Spell check didn't work) OK for everyday or Duty NCO, but better be Leather for Inspection.

This is the type of stuff that starts "OLD CORPS" "NEW CORPS" chatter. WE all know OLD CORPS was better....

... but in it's own way. I'd have really liked NOT getting TAD for wearing my 'Woolie Pully'. They wern't authorized in '79, much less issued.

Terry

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings
    Somebody start a poll...

Brasso vs. Duraglit. What did you use ??

Duraglit here.

Registered User Free Member richgitz's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    BRASSO here, and KWIKI for the shoes and IRON CITY BEER for
    ME.

Epaulettes on the woolly pulley----Good idea. A more military appearance!

The brass vs. gold plate? I don't buy this one. Three reasons.
    1. The deep rich shine of polished brass makes the plated shine of gold look like a cheap trinket.
    2. The pride of well shined brass is just another example of Marine pride.
    3. It's a Marine lifestyle to be shining brass, spit shining shoes and boots and the bill on the Jarhead cover or cleaning your weapon. It's what you do when you are sharing scuttlebutt with other Marines. (Idle hands are the devil's workshop.)

Spit shined boots and shoes?
    Did you ever notice the look of an inspecting officer's eyes when they look at your spit shine and it makes their "ready shine" look like they just marched through an Italian pizza?

Semper Fi

I love a good spit shine. Had an inspection once as a private and the staff sergeant thought my shine was fake. He asked if he could touch my boot, I let him. He then told me he believed me and that I did an outstanding job. That was years ago but things like that you don't forget the feeling of. Point is, that is a feeling that Marines are about to lose by taking all the shortcuts.

What will be the benefit of standing an inspection and being told, "That sure is a nice looking buckle!"... Response, "Yes Sir! I just bought it at the PX this morning." No effort, no rewards.

I think this is just part of the wave of a drop in standards. A squared away set of Charlies in 1982 looked much better than a squared away set of Charlies in 2003.

I hope all you old timers caught that the new cammies are worn with suede!

And I am 100% BRASSO

Semper Fi,

Used BRASSO & DURAGLIT for brass (preferred BRASSO).
    Preferred Lincoln Shoe polish for boots & shoes.
    The gold plated uniform accessories are slow to tarnish, but still need to be cleaned up occasionally (like the buttons on the Dress Blues blouse). Marines should know how to put a glistening shine on boots & brass; however, there are times when the low maintenance items are handy).

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    In MCJROTC the Gunny makes sure we know how to polish brass and get leather to shine. We iron our own uniforms too. As a matter of fact, I gave a class on uniform care for the sophomore cadets last year. You guys are right too, I love the feeling of my boots, shoes, my belt tip and buckles looking better than the anodized junk. Hard work feels good in the long run and shows who has pride and who likes to cut corners.

Thread Information