What do you think is the hardest part about being a Marine? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The hardest part of being a Marine is when you leave the Corps. You have to maintain your appearance and your fitness level on your own. You don't have a D.I. or a Squad Leader on your A**. You have to be your own Marine. When you are 40 years old and you look another man in the eye and say, "I'm a United States Marine." you better look and feel the part!

Quote Originally Posted by chili77bowl View Post
    hey, LCpl...how bout you cut the kid some slack...you ain't no hat, and you sure ain't a Combat Instructor...I failed to see his disrespect...but then again, you get your jollies kicking puppies on the street too, huh?

When someone corrects you and they are in the right, the proper answer would be, "Thank You"

The only thing to me that is lower than a recruit is a Lance Criminal trying to act like a big dog...so if you want to reply and talk smack to me, remember to scream "Aye, Staff Sergeant"...

Hey, kid...you're doing fine...I respect the hell outta you for correcting him.
    I have read this thread and realized this was the exact same thing that happened to me when I first joined leathernecks.com. I DEPed in Aug 6th, 2009 and have had Marines all throughout my family, so i knew what I was getting into. I had a few questions my Recruiter couldn't answer, but said he would look up. In the mean time, I decided to post a thread in the Ask a Marine forum, about the difference between Security Forces and Security Forces (PRP). I never truly got an answer, just was told my punctuation and grammar were atrocious and that I should type like i'm writing a paper for my English Teacher. I was chewed out just like MarineFTW, by a LCpl as well i believe. So thank you SSgt for sticking up for the Poolees! My recruiter just told me that i was possibly just chewed out becuase someone was PTd a little to hard in basic training. So Thank you Ssgt and Anyone else who stood up for MarineFTW and all the Poolees!

Poolee Ward

My time in the Corps was brief, so I don't have that much to compare, but, in the vein of the first part of this discussion (which phase of your time in is the hardest) I would have to say bootcamp.

I know a lot of Marines disagree with me because they felt it was easy not having to discipline yourself, but I enlisted at 22 and had been living on my own for awhile and was good at that part. What I didn't like was being super micro-managed in bootcamp. But, it was beneficial.

As time went on, I was given more freedom (you're given the rope to hang yourself with) and while still having to remain respectful and watch myself, I was also given the trust to do things on my own. Then again, like I said, my time was brief, so maybe things would've been different had I been in longer.

The hardest part of being a Marine is when you get back to the world and have to deal with the civilian population. After having everything organized for 20 years you look up and you are in the dis-organized civilian world. You immediately find out that nothing will ever be the same as you are used to having it. Its one big Chinese Fire Drill.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    The hardest part of being a Marine is when you get back to the world and have to deal with the civilian population. After having everything organized for 20 years you look up and you are in the dis-organized civilian world. You immediately find out that nothing will ever be the same as you are used to having it. Its one big Chinese Fire Drill.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I Said it Before and I'll say it Again.

What do you think is the hardest part about being a Marine?

Remembering it's all about TEAMWORK!!!
    Yes, we are all individuals but we function as a Team.
    The backbone of every successful Unit and Mission is Funtioning as a Team.

And at the end of your active service you will see that not all function as a team.

That's why I can't deal with those who are not Marines.......

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

To answer your question. Getting out.

Thread Information