Lat Move to Ordinance? - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    CommDog, I think he made it pretty clear that it's not all about training. Maybe you should go to the EOD unit when you get home and check them out. I'm sure you can even email that Sgt's SNCOIC and ask him questions on what his day-to-day is.

Don't think everything is just training, 'cause... it is. The only time we do it for "real" is when we have bullets coming down range at us.

Even the EOD guys disarming ejection seats and nukes are training for that moment that they will be under a hail of bullets while doing that same thing.

I'm being kinda stupid with that, honestly; disarming a nuke would freak me the hell out. I'd say that's excitement at it's core.

make an educated decision Dog, contact the MOS operators and ask them what's up.

and as for why the demand is so high, uh... they pay well out in the civilian world; it's like counter-intel.

I just not sure if it's one of those mos's where you COULD do cool stuff, or one of those where we WILL be doing the cool sh!t.

Take radio operator for instance. You could be integrated with the grunts and hunt down the terrorists, or you could be calling in air support, or you could work with the communication equipment on the birds, but how much of that will you actually do? As a radio op, I did inventories, inventories, and more inventories. I never had the opporunity to do any cool and exciting. Even in Iraq, nothing but inventories. So that's what I'm trying to get at, will I actually be doing something cool or is there just the possibility. How many EOD Marines get to work on nuclear bombs? How many get to work on ejection seats? I want to know what most EOD Marines do, not the select 1%.

heres the deal, im a Sgt/staff select and i have done roughly 200 IED's and disposed of (not training) and excess of 100 tons of ordnance, i have breeched, in combat and in training. i have been with force recon, and an MWSS. i have been on the presidents secret service detail, and living in cambodia in the jungle. i cant even begin to explain the spectrum. what you need to do is go to you local EOD shop and start asking some of their more experienced Techs directly. I promise they will be more then willing to lay it out for you. and if you are in Pendleton let me know and i will show you around. if not then let me know and i will tell you who you can speak to wherever you are, it is a very small comunity and most of us know eachother.

so you must not know she's on MSG right now in Ireland. CD you got about another 10 months and some change left right?

Quote Originally Posted by jstkiknit View Post
    heres the deal, im a Sgt/staff select and i have done roughly 200 IED's and disposed of (not training) and excess of 100 tons of ordnance, i have breeched, in combat and in training. i have been with force recon, and an MWSS. i have been on the presidents secret service detail, and living in cambodia in the jungle. i cant even begin to explain the spectrum. what you need to do is go to you local EOD shop and start asking some of their more experienced Techs directly. I promise they will be more then willing to lay it out for you. and if you are in Pendleton let me know and i will show you around. if not then let me know and i will tell you who you can speak to wherever you are, it is a very small comunity and most of us know eachother.
    Wow, thanks for the help. Sounds like the motivated mos that I have been looking for. One other question if I might add, what's the school like?

Quote Originally Posted by Petz View Post
    so you must not know she's on MSG right now in Ireland. CD you got about another 10 months and some change left right?
    I got about a year left on the program, then I'm free!!! MSG has it's ups and downs, but I am eager to get back to the fleet. I'm tired of opening doors and answering phones, I wanna kill terrorists.

We get COLA and BAH out here (and hardship duty pay at my two previous posts), so I'm banking plenty of it. I hear they up'ed the pay from SDA-2 to SDA-5, althought they haven't implemented it yet.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    I got about a year left on the program, then I'm free!!! MSG has it's ups and downs, but I am eager to get back to the fleet. I'm tired of opening doors and answering phones, I wanna kill terrorists.

What Marine can not love a woman like Commdog?
    Sparkie's kind of gal.

Plus you can obviously save money on not having to buy chocolate for her.

school

didnt realize you are MSG. the best way i can describe the school is like putting a firehose that sprays knowledge down your throat, cranking it up and having 4 services kick you in the nuts while they quiz you on what you just learned. ha ha ok its not quite that bad. but its supposed to be one of the most challenging schools in the military. http://www.hqmc.usmc.mil/eod/ that is the USMC website where you can get a little more info. if i remember correctly (its been almost 4years) the navy has about a 42% fail rate, army 62% air force 36% USMC 9%. but things may have changed a little since i was there. every week you will have several tests, any of which, if you fail you will be in charlies in front of a 4 service board justifying your exsistence. you will learn a little more then a semester of nuclear physics in under a month (all testable) and when you get out you will find out that you dont know a damn thing. but all in all its a good school.

the key to getting through it is to remember why you came there and what you want to get out of it. if you fall into the partys and air force parties (its a navy school at an air force base), without self control, you will fail. pm me if you want some contact info. i can put you in touch with one of my Chief Warrant Officers that was prior MSG and he can give you all the direction you need.

That is another HUGE bonus to EOD is that we do NOT have standard run of the mill college baby officers, an EOD officer has done his time in EOD as an enlisted operator, moved up the ranks and become Warrant Officer, then in time a possible LDO. which means a butter bar will NOT be telling a 15 year Gunny how to do his job.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Oohrah! Iyaoyas!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jstkiknit View Post
    didnt realize you are MSG. the best way i can describe the school is like putting a firehose that sprays knowledge down your throat, cranking it up and having 4 services kick you in the nuts while they quiz you on what you just learned. ha ha ok its not quite that bad. but its supposed to be one of the most challenging schools in the military. http://www.hqmc.usmc.mil/eod/ that is the USMC website where you can get a little more info. if i remember correctly (its been almost 4years) the navy has about a 42% fail rate, army 62% air force 36% USMC 9%. but things may have changed a little since i was there. every week you will have several tests, any of which, if you fail you will be in charlies in front of a 4 service board justifying your exsistence. you will learn a little more then a semester of nuclear physics in under a month (all testable) and when you get out you will find out that you dont know a damn thing. but all in all its a good school.

the key to getting through it is to remember why you came there and what you want to get out of it. if you fall into the partys and air force parties (its a navy school at an air force base), without self control, you will fail. pm me if you want some contact info. i can put you in touch with one of my Chief Warrant Officers that was prior MSG and he can give you all the direction you need.

That is another HUGE bonus to EOD is that we do NOT have standard run of the mill college baby officers, an EOD officer has done his time in EOD as an enlisted operator, moved up the ranks and become Warrant Officer, then in time a possible LDO. which means a butter bar will NOT be telling a 15 year Gunny how to do his job.

so you're talking about EOD????

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Petz View Post
    so you're talking about EOD????
    Nothing gets past you, does it Einstein?

Thread Information