Timed Run, Boot Camp - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Yeah, it's kind of hard for me to voice my opinion because I am not a Marine. I'll just go along with you on that one. I think we see eye-to-eye in our humble opinions.

But as far as the one from my dad goes, I truly believe in that saying. It has been true to me for as long as I can remember. He always told me another one too, "You never have time to do it right the first time, but you ALWAYS have time to do it again". In other words, dont double work yourself, just put out 110% effort and get it done right the first go-round and and you'll never have to go back and do it again... If not you'll do it over and over until you get it right and in the end you will have put forth 5 times the amount of effort that was truly required.

Quote Originally Posted by Thisisrandy View Post
    Problem is, I dont think I can run 3 miles in 35 minutes.... LOL Seriously.... I get winded talking about it.... I'm sweating right now....... Whew...
    If I were you I would try this.

Forget about distance. Just try to keep running for 30 consecutive minutes. Once you can do this with ease, you then measure distance and work from there.

30 minutes is an ideal time. If you really struggle then try 25 or 20. The trick is to get your body used to it.

Don't worry about the 3 miles right now.

Quote Originally Posted by USCFIGHTONUSC View Post
    If I were you I would try this.

Forget about distance. Just try to keep running for 30 consecutive minutes. Once you can do this with ease, you then measure distance and work from there.

30 minutes is an ideal time. If you really struggle then try 25 or 20. The trick is to get your body used to it.

Don't worry about the 3 miles right now.

You know, I think you may be on to something here. Thank you for that. I guess I never thought about doing it that way. I'll start that tomorrow.

I normally try to run at approx 6.3 mph on the treadmill. That is on the high side of a jog but not a full out run. I'll probably try to jog tomorrow at about 5 mph for around 20 minutes or so. That should get the blood flowing.....

I was looking for someone to point me in the right direction.
    Ok, here you go: turn off your computer and go run 3 miles. Everytime you want to turn on your computer, go run instead.

You'll do more for your run time by actually running than you will posting on Leatherneck and looking for videos.

Period.

Quote Originally Posted by ameriken View Post
    Ok, here you go: turn off your computer and go run 3 miles. Everytime you want to turn on your computer, go run instead.

You'll do more for your run time by actually running than you will posting on Leatherneck and looking for videos.

Period.

Yes, thank you for that obvious gesture of intelligence. That is exactly what I will do.
    Thank You Marine.

Well, there's the IST at Boot Camp, then there's the Initial PFT and finally the actual PFT. What do they all have in common? Run time, you run 3 miles and when you get to the finish line there's a digital CLOCK which displays time.

So, if you're running and you pass the clock at 20:23, guess what? that's your time.

Then go you and report to the scribe, or a DI, whichever comes first or in charge.

DOes that answer your question?

No, which Depot did you goto and which Company in which Battalion? Each is done differently.

PI SSGT, 1stRTBN Delta Co.

I thought everything was done the same in every Battalion.

nope. each unit has it's own CO and COC. the higher up you go the less they are involved in the day-to-day and the week-to-week of the recruits.

they have a requirement/intent at the Bn level and the Co follow the intent in their own way.

Problem is, I dont think I can run 3 miles in 35 minutes.... LOL Seriously.... I get winded talking about it.... I'm sweating right now....... Whew...
    simple solution...stop being lazy and go run

For my IST, we had the huge digital clock. In MRP, we had the clock, but while I was in Golf and Alpha Company, there was a Drill Instructor there yelling out times.

Listen, I'm 26. I ran the IST in 11:40. Now when I run a 3 mile, when I get to the half way turn around, I'm hearing 11:00. Anyways, when the run is said and done, I finish out at 22:45-23:00. I don't sprint, I die while running... however I start off strong, then jog the rest of the way while controlling my breathing the best I can.

If you jog the whole 3 mile, there's no reason why you can't finish in under 28 minutes (no stops allowed.) Remember, stopping is detrimental to your running. No matter how bad it hurts, your legs can take you 10x farther than your mind says. Ignore your mind, and push your limits. Don't ever walk on a run, and you'll do just fine. Soon as you start ignoring your mind telling you to stop, or to quit, you'll see that everything else falls into place.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by New York View Post
    Well, there's the IST at Boot Camp, then there's the Initial PFT and finally the actual PFT. What do they all have in common? Run time, you run 3 miles and when you get to the finish line there's a digital CLOCK which displays time.

So, if you're running and you pass the clock at 20:23, guess what? that's your time.

Then go you and report to the scribe.
    That describes my San Diego experience. Add an almost, dangerously almost, powerful need to take a dump, towards the end, and it's exactly the same experience.

My Senior (who was a 30 yo SGT that smoked) finished before me and ran back about a mile and ran me into the finish.

Quote Originally Posted by GREY MATTER View Post
    simple solution...stop being lazy and go run
    Wow, this is also a very educated solution. Thank you for your well deserved sarcastic intelligent gesture as well. Must have taken a lot out of you to really contribute to this thread.

And as for the rest of you Marines who are "truly" trying to answer my questions without sarcasm, thank you.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You'll get a bunch of advice on running. Do this and that and you'll turn in a better time. The trick is... go out there and do it. Do it often. Running isn't a bi-anual thing you do. It is a daily thing. Folks say take a day or two off to let your muscles recover. I say proper stretching and warm up before and you can turn in 3 miles every single day. Sure take a day off now and then when you have reduced the amount of time it takes to get from here to there in a lumbering fashion.

Thread Information