Timed Run, Boot Camp
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Timed Run, Boot Camp

Marines, I have looked into other threads and watched tons of videos and I have not seen any recruits actually timed in the 3 mile run.

Every vidoe I see has the entire platoon either marching, humping, or doing PT but I do not see where the get there individual times.

Can someone either point to a video or give me some direction here? Thank you Marines!!!

What exactly is it that you want to see? It is a DI with a watch yelling out the times as recruits pass the finish line.

It's not like you run a PFT each time you do PT. If my memory is correct we were timed individually maybe 3-4 times.

Quote Originally Posted by USCFIGHTONUSC View Post
    What exactly is it that you want to see? It is a DI with a watch yelling out the times as recruits pass the finish line.

It's not like you run a PFT each time you do PT. If my memory is correct we were timed individually maybe 3-4 times.
    Thank you for your prompt response. I am not neccessarily looking to see this on a video, however it would be nice. All that I was saying is that all of the videos that I have seen and all of the questions and articles that I have read, I have not seen a recruit either fail it or I have not even heard about anyone coming close to failing it. I was inquiring how often this happens and whats the process when it does happen? I was just wanting to see some actual times and what these guys are running. It would just put it all in perspective for me.

I was looking for someone to point me in the right direction.

Thank You again Marine!

Quote Originally Posted by Thisisrandy View Post
    Thank you for your prompt response. I am not neccessarily looking to see this on a video, however it would be nice. All that I was saying is that all of the videos that I have seen and all of the questions and articles that I have read, I have not seen a recruit either fail it or I have not even heard about anyone coming close to failing it. I was inquiring how often this happens and whats the process when it does happen? I was just wanting to see some actual times and what these guys are running. It would just put it all in perspective for me.

I was looking for someone to point me in the right direction.

Thank You again Marine!
    Now you are asking a legit question. Amazing what happens when you add details.

Well I have never seen a video of this either.

Anytime you are timed individually you will have people run different times. Not all of us are sprinters or good at running, but you all will pass. You will not get sent into training if you can not pass the IST, so you have nothing to worry about once there. Some recruits run 18 min., while others run 24 minutes.

If you make it to the end of boot camp for the final PFT, you will pass it. That is a fact. The times will vary and many run below the required time.

Don't put to much on the run times. As long as you pass that is all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by USCFIGHTONUSC View Post
    Now you are asking a legit question. Amazing what happens when you add details.

Well I have never seen a video of this either.

Anytime you are timed individually you will have people run different times. Not all of us are sprinters or good at running, but you all will pass. You will not get sent into training if you can not pass the IST, so you have nothing to worry about once there. Some recruits run 18 min., while others run 24 minutes.

If you make it to the end of boot camp for the final PFT, you will pass it. That is a fact. The times will vary and many run below the required time.

Don't put to much on the run times. As long as you pass that is all that matters.

Again, thank you. I am 28 in 14 days and I am out of shape as far as running goes. I am definitely working on it daily but I am just worried that these young bucks are gonna make me look like sh*t. I'm sure they will and Im not so much worried about that as I am passing the PFT.

Thank U again Marine

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Pretty basic on the run thing. You stand on the starting line and someone says go then you run like hell and then you cross the finish line and someone give you your time.

Takes longer than that to get a gal warmed up sometimes. Then you run like hell when her daddy shows up with a shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Thisisrandy View Post
    Again, thank you. I am 28 in 14 days and I am out of shape as far as running goes. I am definitely working on it daily but I am just worried that these young bucks are gonna make me look like sh*t. I'm sure they will and Im not so much worried about that as I am passing the PFT.

Thank U again Marine
    Believe me, it is not a HS track meet. No one is gonna show boat or any crap like that. You are a platoon and you each support each other. There will be many jackrabbits and many turtles and many in between.

Always remember that where others may dominate you, you may dominate them in other fashions. I remember I was an average runner, but I shot 232 on the range and the fastest runner barely qualified. So it all evened out.

I'm 28 and I don't run like the wind. Don't worry about the young "bucks" out running you, that will be a given, however there will always be that 40 yo Sgt Maj who runs a 14 min 3 mile who will by default smoke them all and give us old farts (compared to the average AD Marine that is) motivation to get out there and run during chow or after work in order to get that run time down.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    I'm 28 (compared to the average AD Marine that is) motivation to get out there and run during chow or after work in order to get that run time down.
    Should have said the average wrench turner.

the average age of the Marine Corps is like 24 or something low like that. once you're over that age you can say you are "over the hill" in Marine Corps terms.

got to work twice as hard to keep up with your Marines.

and you really butchered my post with that quote.

"Bulk the Butcher"

Hey, thanks Marines for all of the information. This makes me feel a little more at ease. I'm very aware that I will prevail in some areas that the others struggle in simply because I'm older and hopefully more experienced. Holding the optimism.... don't take that from me....

Thank you all again.

where did you find this quote from Chesty Puller? that doesn't sound remotely close.

Problem is, I dont think I can run 3 miles in 35 minutes.... LOL Seriously.... I get winded talking about it.... I'm sweating right now....... Whew...

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    where did you find this quote from Chesty Puller? that doesn't sound remotely close.

If you are referring to the quote in my signature I found it by googling USMC quotes and found it in one of the websites. They had tons of them that I see on the signatures of most of the members and guests here.

The "expect the worse and hope for the best" is something that my dad always told me so that I would never be lat down and would always think better about other people when they over-shot my expectations.

oh, I'm not saying you don't rate, just that it doesn't sound like the quote I'm thinking of. I'd even go so far as to say it's a hybrid of a few quotes.

You should however find a quote that motivates you to succeed or some trash like that.

Chesty was always good for a one liner but it was more to raise moral and make his men feel invincible rather that to "accomplish" something. He basically used his men in a war of attrition. I recall having a conversation with someone who has read his memoirs, supposedly he said he could tell how well "we're" doing by how many casualties we have sustained.

good guy, great leader, magnificent Marine but in the end he was just another guy who knew what to say to his men to have them run to their deaths.

Thread Information