Usmc - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Usmc

Yes, keep us updated and let us know how things are going!

I let my parents no that I am doing this one way or another and that they could either be part of it or not.

They took it harsh at first, but are now warming up to it... I think.

Today they said something that stumped me.

I told them I would join for 4 years and then go to college unless I decide to make a career out of the Marines. They then brought up the fact that I will be 21 by then and be "to old" for what I want. I am wanting to go to college for software engineering after the Marines. What is your take on College after the Marines?

I mean how successful are people in college after the Marines in a field involving advanced computer work?

Thanks Marines

You're never to old to go to college no matter what age you are. It's your future and you decide what you want to do with it and how you want to go about doing it.
    My nephew graduated from college in May of this year before he left for boot camp at age 25. He graduated boot camp on Aug 28th and is currently at Camp Lejeune for his MCT training. He turned 26 while he was in boot camp.
    So, like I told you in a previous post, your parents only want what's best for you, but you're the one who needs to decide what you want and how you want to do it and when you want to do it.
    Best of luck to you.

I understand what you mean with that, but.. its hard to explain my point.. sorry. Um.. When you actually finish with the Marines and want to go to college what are your chances of getting accepted to a good one and having a great future from that. I mean many colleges like students straight from high school.

Quote Originally Posted by ClayPuglisi View Post
    I told them I would join for 4 years and then go to college unless I decide to make a career out of the Marines. They then brought up the fact that I will be 21 by then and be "to old" for what I want. I am wanting to go to college for software engineering after the Marines. What is your take on College after the Marines?

I mean how successful are people in college after the Marines in a field involving advanced computer work?

Thanks Marines
    thats what the gi bill is for. i am 22 and using my gi bill towards a teaching degree. you're never too old for school. check out the book "Above & Beyond: Former Marines Conquer The Civilian World"

Quote Originally Posted by tangovictor87 View Post
    thats what the gi bill is for. i am 22 and using my gi bill towards a teaching degree. you're never too old for school. check out the book "Above & Beyond: Former Marines Conquer The Civilian World"
    Thanks Marine. I will do that.

just make sure you get one of the Corps Network repair or some stuff like that. they work on computers and you can put that time towards experience on your resume.

Quote Originally Posted by ClayPuglisi View Post
    I understand what you mean with that, but.. its hard to explain my point.. sorry. Um.. When you actually finish with the Marines and want to go to college what are your chances of getting accepted to a good one and having a great future from that. I mean many colleges like students straight from high school.
    I think I see what you're asking here.

Your chances are the same as a person who just left HS. The grades you are getting now in HS will dictate where you can and can not study later on. There are some smaller private schools who can pick and choose who they let in. The majority of universities do not do that.

Lets say you would be 22 when you got out. That is not old. How successful you are once you get out will be on you. The sky is the limit and if you let what you learned as a Marine vault you upwards, then you have a great advantage over those who have not served.

Thanks Marine. Clears a lot up.

Thread Information