Jury finds Marine guilty in sex-triangle slaying
By DEBRA LEMOINE
Advocate Florida parishes bureau
Published: Aug 14, 2009 - Page: 10B
Comments (0)

AMITE — A state District Court jury on Thursday convicted a Marine absent without leave from his Hawaii base of second-degree murder in the hometown sex triangle slaying of his lover’s husband.

After deliberating for an hour and 10 minutes, a jury of seven women and two men unanimously returned the guilty verdict against Pfc. Aubry Sikes, 20, of Kentwood, for killing Christopher Slater Brown, 28, also of Kentwood, on April 10, 2008.

When the clerk read the verdict in 21st Judicial District Court at Amite, family members quietly sobbed but made no outburst.

Sikes waived sentencing delay, and District Judge Bruce C. Bennett sentenced Sikes to life in prison, as per the mandatory sentence under state law. Sikes also entered a notice of appeal in court.

In his closing arguments, Assistant District Attorney Jeffrey Johnson told the jury Sikes was a cold-blooded killer who flew from Hawaii to Louisiana specifically to kill Slater Brown because Brown stood in the way of what Sikes wanted: Slater Brown’s wife, Brooklyn Brown.

In defense of Sikes, Assistant Public Defender Vanessa Williams told the tale of a young man being manipulated by an older woman, who started having sex with Sikes while he was a 17-year-old high school student and she was a 28-year-old woman engaged to be married.

Sikes also had engaged in group sexual intercourse with Slater and Brooklyn Brown, Williams told the jury.

Both attorneys noted the case had torn apart a close-knit family. Slater Brown’s father, Bill Brown, was a father figure to Sikes, and Sikes’ sister is engaged to Slater Brown’s brother.

“I don’t care what has happened,” Bill Brown said while making his victim impact statement to the court.

“You murdered my son. I lost my blood son and I lost you as my son.”

Bill Brown also said he has forgiven Sikes, so Sikes can find peace with God.

Sikes, who wore his Marine Corps uniform and his hair in a buzz cut throughout the trial, declined to make a statement to the court. Sikes has received no notice of formal discharge from the Marines, his attorney has said.

Members of Sikes’ family also declined to comment after the trial.

After the trial, Williams said she sympathizes with the families in this case for their losses.

“I think it’s really sad,” she said. “I’m sorry for the family. I’m sorry for everybody. This is our system of justice, and justice is served.”

Johnson declined to comment after the trial.

Ellie