Deployment Sidearm | M9 Sucks... Why Can't They Take Their Sidearm of Choice?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Deployment Sidearm | M9 Sucks... Why Can't They Take Their Sidearm of Choice?

I have quite a few buddies deployed right now. Some of them aren't issued a sidearm at all, and the ones who are get issued the M9 Beretta. I had one buddy who was allowed to get issued a sidearm from the Afghan police???

All of them said that they were not allowed to take their own sidearm of choice. Why not?

I've shot the M9 plenty of times. It sucks. On top of it sucking, it typically costs $100+ more than a new Glock or Springfield... and about the same as a used Sig.

Why wouldn't they allow soldiers to choose from a list of approved sidearms and knives of their own to bring... especially if what they can bring is better than what they are issued?

Is it because the Beretta is made in the U.S.A?

I don't really understand.

Can you take the knife of your choice when deployed?

Just curious how it all works.

Thanks,

Last edited by thedrifter; 08-10-09 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Boot Camp Quesions

You know, I considered responding to this, even made a reply (deleted it now though) but then I realized, this is a absolute STUPID question for a poolee to be asking.

You won't be issued a M9 in boot camp. And you can't bring your own knife with you to the Depot. That should hold you over.

BR34,

First of all, please don't treat me like a child. I'm 25, own my own business, I'm married, house, family, etc. I'm well aware that none of these items will be taken to boot camp.

If anything, my post is just in the wrong place. If that is what stopped you from answering the question, then

A better response from you might have been suggesting a better location from the post... rather than just calling it a stupid question.

If it was a STUPID question, then the 5 deployed friends that I have wouldn't all be asking it???

With that said... where is the "Ask A Marine" section for general questions that don't concern boot camp?

Quote Originally Posted by LoveOfCountry View Post
    I have quite a few buddies deployed right now. Some of them aren't issued a sidearm at all, and the ones who are get issued the M9 Beretta. I had one buddy who was allowed to get issued a sidearm from the Afghan police???

All of them said that they were not allowed to take their own sidearm of choice. Why not?

I've shot the M9 plenty of times. It sucks. On top of it sucking, it typically costs $100+ more than a new Glock or Springfield... and about the same as a used Sig.

Why wouldn't they allow soldiers to choose from a list of approved sidearms and knives of their own to bring... especially if what they can bring is better than what they are issued?

Is it because the Beretta is made in the U.S.A?

I don't really understand.

Can you take the knife of your choice when deployed?

Just curious how it all works.

Thanks,
    This seems like you are b!tching about the tools we use and you haven't even earned the title yet. You need to slow your role a little cowboy.

Sidearm - This isn't your local rod-n-gun club. We have rules that govern us from way above anyone's head on this forum. The Marine Corps will give you what you need to survive in combat. Don't worry about the firearms. They will save your life and the life of the Marine next to you.

The price of the M9 is not an issue. Besides, you don't really think they are paying the same price as you would do you? The M9 is actually a very good pistol. You just have to take the time to get to know it and how to make it work for you. No different than any other weapon. I taught this weapon for many years and I hated it at first because like you, I formed an opinion of the weapon before I really gave it a chance. A weapon is like some of your friends..... You don't know how to deal with them at first but once you really get to know them you become more comfortable with them. When I retired 1.5 yrs ago, I was shooting a group the size of a grapefruit at 25 yrds.

As for knives...... thats going to be up to the command.

LoveofCountry

Let me assure you I don't give two squirts about your age, job, house, car, how you feel I should treat you, or any combination of the above.

Your question was stupid, and there is no "Ask a Marine stupid questions that won't help me be better prepared for the Marine Corps" section.

For your next question, ask me why Marines can't choose what kevlars they'd like to wear.

If it was a STUPID question, then the 5 deployed friends that I have wouldn't all be asking it???

If your five deployed friends haven't figured it out by now then they never will.

What is up with all of the high-horses around here? It's a very simple question. If you don't know the answer then what is the point in spouting gibberish?

The title of this particular forum says "Forum for poolees and wannabes to ask a Marine a question."

I'm simply a "poolee" asking a Marine a question.

If that isn't what this is for then maybe somebody should fix the description.

If that is what this is for then why does it matter if the question is asked? I'm not asking because I don't think Marines aren't properly equipped or funded... I'm simply asking out of curiosity. If that is too much for you "cowboy" then simply skip it and move onto the next thread.

I'm just wondering if the reasoning behind it is logistical, monetary, contractual, historical, etc.

Sorry if it was over your head.

Wow. You guys are special.

To be so defensive and hostile over such a simple question is childish.

Never mind, I'll go ask it on another forum since it seems to be beyond you.

Didn't mean to hurt your feelings over questioning the insufficiency of the M9.

Oh no, you're leaving?!

Don't forget to tell everyone you know that was ever killed by a M9 to "get up" because they were killed by something that is insufficient.

Bye now, sweety.

Are you 5 years old?

I'm not going anywhere, but I would like to find someone capable of answering my question or at least reading my posts without getting their thong in wad.

What is up with all of the high-horses around here? It's a very simple question. If you don't know the answer then what is the point in spouting gibberish?

The title of this particular forum says "Forum for poolees and wannabes to ask a Marine a question."

I'm simply a "poolee" asking a Marine a question.

If that isn't what this is for then maybe somebody should fix the description.

If that is what this is for then why does it matter if the question is asked? I'm not asking because I don't think Marines aren't properly equipped or funded... I'm simply asking out of curiosity. If that is too much for you "cowboy" then simply skip it and move onto the next thread.

I'm just wondering if the reasoning behind it is logistical, monetary, contractual, historical, etc.

Sorry if it was over your head.

You make me laugh..... What a turd. Your question was answered and since it's not what you want to hear then you are going to b!tch about it and slam Marines on a Marine site.

Let me see if I can break to down Barney style for even you to understand.... You will only carry the weapons that the Marine Coprs issues you. Nothing else. If you are caught with any firearm in your possession that is not issued, you will probably be court martialed. And since the knife answer I gave you wasn't sufficiant either, NO. You are not authorized to carry your own knife without approval.

I can type slower if that was to fast for you.

I'm not going anywhere, but I would like to find someone capable of answering my question or at least reading my posts without getting their thong in wad.

How did you know we wear thongs? Did one of your 5 deployed friends spill out our secret?

Your first post was offensive in tone regardless of what your intentions were. Tone it down a bit and you will find that more people here are willing to give you more info than you would ever need.

I'm not going anywhere,
    ...?

Never mind, I'll go ask it on another forum
    Someone with your age, intellect, and wisdom, and yet so indecisive.

How was my tone offensive? I asked a question and the two of you acted as if I threw a grenade into your barracks.

The purpose of a forum is for people to ask questions and get answers. Even if they are stupid (in your opinion). If you don't like my question, then get over it.

I'm grateful for your service to our country, and grateful for the Corps.

With that said. I'm still left in curiosity of my unanswered questions. Hopefully someone will come along that has an answer.

Respectfully,

Thread Information