"how do I get back in" Sgt and below - Page 19
Create Post
Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CorporalGuz5 View Post
    I got out of the Marine Corps 3 years ago and I am now feeling the emptiness of serving with fellow Marines. I am thinking about enlisting in the Marine Reserves but when I got out of the Marine Corps I had an Honorable Discharge and RE-3P. Is there any way that I can change my reenlistment code? I received the code for failing my PFT prior to getting out but I have been actually working out and getting back into physical shape. I know the reserves is not the same as AD but I would love to live the Marine Corps life again even if its just a weekend

If you received a 3P then that code will not be changed, they only change codes when they make a mistake. Your code is the nature of your discharge, if your discharge was for failing a physical then the code would be 3P. However, that code is waiverable, the recruiter can choose to go through with the waiver but be prepared for a lot of leg work on your part and frustration.

All, I am a reservist who comes off my IRR contract in november of 2011. I tried to get on active duty over a year ago and was told that we arnt taking any psep right now. I havent been able to find anything new recentally. I am trying to get into EOD. I passed the interview over year ago and I want to try again, just thought I would check with you guys to see if you have herd anything new. more info, I have always had good procons i am 24 never had an njp or any bad page 11s. any help? thanks

Cpl Bluder

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubadvr1999 View Post
    All, I am a reservist who comes off my IRR contract in november of 2011. I tried to get on active duty over a year ago and was told that we arnt taking any psep right now. I havent been able to find anything new recentally. I am trying to get into EOD. I passed the interview over year ago and I want to try again, just thought I would check with you guys to see if you have herd anything new. more info, I have always had good procons i am 24 never had an njp or any bad page 11s. any help? thanks

Cpl Bluder
    Everything I've heard on here and through other sources, the Corps is really being tight on taking prior service Marines back in. Active Reservists are having rough times moving over too. In fairness, I understand the Corps is being equally tough on new recruit standards and first-term re-enlistments as well.

The Corps is at it's legal max strength and no one knows what will happen in the near future as far as cutting manning levels.

You might want to look into going into Active Reserves to preserve your time, rank, etc, in case things loosen up. Who knows what evil lurks in Iran and North Korea?

I get the whole numbers thing. but it should be case by case. EOD is looking for people bad still. I qualified for it so why not let someone get into the job when no one else does.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I get the whole numbers thing. but it should be case by case. EOD is looking for people bad still. I qualified for it so why not let someone get into the job when no one else does.

You would think that EOD would be the one MOS the Corps would be happy to take prior service Marines for. Lets face it, sometimes a year or two back in the CivDiv puts some of the extra maturity on people EOD needs, especially since it is not an entry level MOS anyway.

I don't know, just keep cracking at it. Your argument makes sense to me, but sadly, I'm not in charge of these things. Good luck.

Keep trying...In the next couple of years the Corps is going to either cut 20,000+ jobs or they are going to have to increase recruiting efforts substantially in order to replace the 30,000+ Marines that are going to start EAS'ing from the original surge.The Marines getting out right now came in before they started increasing up to the 202,000 mark.

I feel your pain. I want back on active duty as well and thought about doing a SNCO PSEP but the Corps is being tight. So I am going IMA Reserve route. I figure next year or two the Corps will reduce in numbers from that surge they had in 07-08.

SSgt:

Oorah leatherneck, I was wondering if I could pick your brain for some information. Discharged in 1998 with a General under Honorable conditions with a code of re-3p. Re-enlisting in the corps would be more than just an option. So, I tried to get the G.I bill and got denied becuase of my discharge, ok I understand. I then commenced to submit on online form through vet-recs for my medical records and my srb, and I also submitted a form dd-293. Well I have been requesting and doing everything in my power to obtain my records, to no avail. I left it up to the powers that be for awhile. Well, in January of 2009 I reicieved a letter from a archives technician in St.Louis stating that my record was loaned to the U.S Marine Corps , and has not yet been returned. This letter was sent from Missouri, but the address within it was from the the office of the Commandandt( I'M guessing) in Quantico.

My questions are what are the age requirements to reenlist, and will I need a waiver with my re-3p, some recruiters told me yes, some told me no. I am in the process of completing another dd-293, is this a waste of time or will it be sufficient, I am trying to hold off on sending it until I receive my medical records, so I can see if it will be of any help. (I don't really need it changed, just wanting a clean slate) I got what I earned, even though I believe it was given to me in haste. And the fact it took me forever to find out what a HFX1 seperation code meant.

If you could help me out Staff Sergeant I would really appreciate it.

Semper Fi
    A leatherneck

How many years were you on active duty and how old are you now? For Prior Service the maximum age is 32 iirc. What the Marines use is a "constructed age" They take your current age and subtract the amount of years you served and that would be your age.

It will be very hard to do a PSEP package and go on active duty again. The Corps is full. I tried to do the same thing and instead I am going into the IMA reserves and going to try and put an active duty augment package in. It takes a little longer, but is easier in my case being I need 2 waivers. One for being a SNCO off contract( if you are out past 24 hours) and I have another prior service, other service. That would be very difficult to do if I was trying to go right on active duty.

That RE-3P, you will need a waiver. If you are looking at going active duty, you need to talk to a regular recruiter. Granted they will probably blow you off like they did me. If you want reserves, then see a PSR aka Prior Service recruiter. They can also answer that RE Code better than I can.

Sorry not much help.

Lightbulb

Cpl Bluder
    Hey Cpl! Check out the Active Reserve thread in this section, worth a try since E4 and below can be trained in another MOS.....hope this helps!

The Corps increased their ranks to 202,000 (I believe was the goal) over the course of 2006-2008-ish. I read an article the other day that pretty much said once those first couple batches of "surge Marines" come off contract (in 2011-2012), there will be a much greater need for people to fill the ranks, to sustain the 202,000. Wanting to go back on active duty and only having 2 years left by constructed age, I was wondering if that might open up more possibilities for prior service. Anybody out there heard anything about this scenario? Any recruiters that frequent the site or anyone with good solid gouge?

They are trimming down to about 180,000. The 202,000 (2007-2009) was to cover both Iraq and Afghanistan. This is why we are seeing so many forced out and why it is so tough to get back in.

So like I said, I read an article the other day http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news...-202k-112910w/ This was written 29 November this year and has direct quotes from the Major General that oversees the recruiting command. The Corps has no plans on cutting back to 180,000 as of now, at least none they have made public. Congress' approval was needed to expand the force and it would also need approval to reduce it again. The 2 star General said that the Corps will need more recruits to maintain the 202,000, just like my original posting said. When they were in the midst of expanding they took on too many (around 206,000) and THAT may be what some have heard of as far as people being "trimmed from the ranks." Any thoughts from the peanut gallery...?

A quick excerpt from the article:

MARINE CORPS BASE QUANTICO, Va. — Recruiting Command is riding a high and meeting all major goals, but it faces obstacles in coming years, including potential budget cuts and projected increases in the number of recruits needed in future years, said the two-star officer overseeing the command.
    The Corps cannot get complacent with recruiting, even though it met its goal to grow the service to 202,100 active-duty Marines last year, said Maj. Gen. Robert Milstead. In fact, with tens of thousands of Marines who joined the service during its initial wave of growth in 2007 and 2008 expected to leave after their four-year contracts expire, the Corps likely will need more recruits in 2011 than it has in years.
    “We’re into a steady state, but the funny thing is, it’s not intuitive but our mission is higher,” Milstead said during a recent interview in his office. “People go, ‘You’re at 202. What’s the deal?’ But that whole small farm animal that the snake consumed in 2007 and 2008 hits four years, and so you have to come back.”
    The Corps brought in 38,217 recruits in fiscal 2006, before the 202K push began. That number mushroomed to 40,890 in 2007 and 42,226 in 2008, but it dropped to 37,114 in 2009 and 33,887 last year, as the Corps hit the brakes on growing the service. The goal will increase again to about 37,330 in fiscal 2011 and 41,500 in 2012, Milstead said

Quote Originally Posted by Wood5831 View Post
    How many years were you on active duty and how old are you now? For Prior Service the maximum age is 32 iirc. What the Marines use is a "constructed age" They take your current age and subtract the amount of years you served and that would be your age.

It will be very hard to do a PSEP package and go on active duty again. The Corps is full. I tried to do the same thing and instead I am going into the IMA reserves and going to try and put an active duty augment package in. It takes a little longer, but is easier in my case being I need 2 waivers. One for being a SNCO off contract( if you are out past 24 hours) and I have another prior service, other service. That would be very difficult to do if I was trying to go right on active duty.

That RE-3P, you will need a waiver. If you are looking at going active duty, you need to talk to a regular recruiter. Granted they will probably blow you off like they did me. If you want reserves, then see a PSR aka Prior Service recruiter. They can also answer that RE Code better than I can.

Sorry not much help.
    Ssgt,

I am a Prior service Marine with a General under Honorable with a RE-1A code. I am a Sgt. in the Army National Guard and would like to switch over to the Marine Reserve. Im 29 and am a full time police officer on the civilian side. I just got back from an infantry deployment to Afghanistan. Local PSR wont work with me becuase of tattoos on forearms. I have heard from other guys they will do tattoo waivers....just depends on if the PSR wants to try and submit it.

Any advice? How is your PSR to work with?

Thanks

I think a lot of it depends on the PSR. I am not sure about the tattoo waiver. Mine are above my elbow. MY PSR does leave a lot to be desired. You could also look up the next closest PSR and see what they say.

Thread Information