"Gunny"...appropriate for recruiter? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Dist Expert 26 View Post
    Everyone at my RSS calls our Gysgt 'gunny'. In fact the only people who address him by his full rank are privates and pfc's fresh from boot camp.
    Because they were taught at boot camp to show respect to the rank. As a Poolee should as well. Just because "everybody's doing it" doesn't mean you shouldn't show the respect and address him with his full rank. We should try and begin to act like Marines.. since we aspire to become one.

Just MY OPINION, though.

Quote Originally Posted by JWG View Post
    Because they were taught at boot camp to show respect to the rank. As a Poolee should as well. Just because "everybody's doing it" doesn't mean you shouldn't show the respect and address him with his full rank. We should try and begin to act like Marines.. since we aspire to become one.

Just MY OPINION, though.
    When I first talked to him he introduced himself as 'Gunny Kit' (short for Kitzinger). Our RSS is pretty laid back though.

Marine Friend Free Member Cressler's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Yes but if he perfers Gunny then call him by that if or when i reach GySgt. I would have no problem with people calling me Gunny but then again thats me it's all about personal preferance depends what he likes i think Gunny just sounds sweet haha

The one GySgt. at the other station that is like a part of our RSS but they have there own building idk? but I don't think he still owns a uniform i've seen like like 20 times and is NEVER in any sort of uniform the Sgt.'s make fun of him all the time haha Random story

Quote Originally Posted by Cressler View Post
    Yes but if he perfers Gunny then call him by that if or when i reach GySgt. I would have no problem with people calling me Gunny but then again thats me it's all about personal preferance depends what he likes i think Gunny just sounds sweet haha

You may change your mind after 13 years of service. You'll be 30 years, old, possibly some combat experience, and may not want some lowly 17 and 18 year old poolees calling you an honorable title that you've earned. Sure "gunny" sounds sweet to us, but we have no idea what it takes to achieve that position.

General Consensus- It all depends on your RS and RSS.

My SSgt, is really laid back. Never once asked me to say sirs, or even rank, when we talked. But when I went up to my RS for the interview before MEPS, the SNCOIC instantly corrected that, telling me to refer to all Marines as sir, or ma'am. So during our Pool functions, it's yes sir, no sir. No ranks unless we are addressing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Capital M View Post
    You may change your mind after 13 years of service. You'll be 30 years, old, possibly some combat experience, and may not want some lowly 17 and 18 year old poolees calling you an honorable title that you've earned. Sure "gunny" sounds sweet to us, but we have no idea what it takes to achieve that position.

General Consensus- It all depends on your RS and RSS.

My SSgt, is really laid back. Never once asked me to say sirs, or even rank, when we talked. But when I went up to my RS for the interview before MEPS, the SNCOIC instantly corrected that, telling me to refer to all Marines as sir, or ma'am. So during our Pool functions, it's yes sir, no sir. No ranks unless we are addressing them.
    All of the recruiters tell us not to call them 'sir' because they work for a living

Quote Originally Posted by Dist Expert 26 View Post
    All of the recruiters tell us not to call them 'sir' because they work for a living

That's exactly how my recruiter feels I think, but the SNCOIC at our office is just getting trained now (yeah, my pre-screen interview was actually done by a Master Gunnery Sergeant while he watched, scary) So he's set on gettings ready in for RT in the best possible way. No complaints, I like the formality.

Marine Friend Free Member Cressler's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Yeah the Cheif ? i don't know his full rank but he's the head of the navy office but he always comes and talks with us one of the other poolee's called him sir and he got yelled at and told he works for a living don't call him sir lol

Thread Information