Graduating Early.
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Graduating Early.

Hey fellow Poolee's, I've been thinking for a LONG time, hell I even took some senior classes last year, to graduate early. All for the reason to go to boot camp earlier and to start my life in the Corps. I got away from the idea when I had some friends who wanted to go with me. Well they all backed out, and the idea is floating back. There's a problem tho, my brother is getting married May 28 in which I want to be there. My only solution other then going to my ship date right now is to get a date where if I graduate on time, my 10 day leave will be during that week. Being in the wedding with blues, hell yeah? Only problem is, if I were to get hurt, I would miss it. He's my only brother and hopefully it will be his only wedding. I dont have a problem going early, I even gave my recruiter a heads up. I got until school to starts, because I would need to change one class out. I would just like some fellow imput and some other people's idea's. I know its my life and my choice, but having other peoples thoughts do seem to help out with decisions. Thanks brothers and sisters!

Motivated-
    Poolee Vogt

I think you should change that class out anyway and that would give you a little more time to decide. As for the decision I think you should keep your original ship date and graduate with your class. You have your ship date and mos locked on so no need to make things complicated cause then things get screwed up. Plus have you thought about if your earlier ship date came then it got pushed back two weeks?

Poolee/DEP Free Member Hartford's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    The possibility of getting the exact ship date so your boot leave is during your brother's wedding is extremely small. The way things are now with people getting pushed back, moved forward, waiting long times to go to boot camp, etc. I really don't think your odds are very good. If I were in your position I'd graduate early and get a simple job to keep you busy until your original ship date. PT, relax, be with the fam, go to the wedding and be good and ready to go to bootcamp in June. Plus you'll have some $$$ from the job.

Quote Originally Posted by sbombard15 View Post
    I think you should change that class out anyway and that would give you a little more time to decide. As for the decision I think you should keep your original ship date and graduate with your class. You have your ship date and mos locked on so no need to make things complicated cause then things get screwed up. Plus have you thought about if your earlier ship date came then it got pushed back two weeks?
    Im thinking of changing my MOS to 03XX.. which was my whole reason for joining the Corps. I thought about that to, if I was told to wait, well I guess I could just wait until later. If they pushed me once, I might as well get pushed all the way back. I know thats being a pain in the ass and that is one of the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by MarinesFTW View Post
    Im thinking of changing my MOS to 03XX.. which was my whole reason for joining the Corps. I thought about that to, if I was told to wait, well I guess I could just wait until later. If they pushed me once, I might as well get pushed all the way back. I know thats being a pain in the ass and that is one of the problems.
    Well if you joined the Marine Corps because of 03xx I think you would never be truly happy without it. What I personally would do is get 03xx locked on FOR SURE from the new fiscal year then change my ship date. I personally dont see the point in a graduation ceremony and all the tears shed at it. I would get out as soon as possible but everybody's different.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartford View Post
    The possibility of getting the exact ship date so your boot leave is during your brother's wedding is extremely small. The way things are now with people getting pushed back, moved forward, waiting long times to go to boot camp, etc. I really don't think your odds are very good. If I were in your position I'd graduate early and get a simple job to keep you busy until your original ship date. PT, relax, be with the fam, go to the wedding and be good and ready to go to bootcamp in June. Plus you'll have some $$$ from the job.
    If I am not going to go to boot camp earlie, ill stay in school and enjoy my full senior slacker year. 6 of my 7 hours are shop classes.

Quote Originally Posted by sbombard15 View Post
    Well if you joined the Marine Corps because of 03xx I think you would never be truly happy without it. What I personally would do is get 03xx locked on FOR SURE from the new fiscal year then change my ship date. I personally dont see the point in a graduation ceremony and all the tears shed at it. I would get out as soon as possible but everybody's different.
    I know graduating is a HUGE thing in someone's life, but graduation from MCRDSD is bigger then anything else.

I know graduating is a HUGE thing in someone's life, but graduation from MCRDSD is bigger then anything else.
    Thats my thought exactly. Thats why I am telling my family to spend money on a plane ticket to my boot camp graduation and not my high school graduation. I think graduating college should be the big deal because then you are done ALL your schooling.

Poolee/DEP Free Member Hartford's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Yeah high school graduation is a joke really, especially in comparison to Marine Corps bootcamp graduation. Anyone and everyone can graduate high school, it takes a little bit of effort and you can breeze through if you want...can't really say that about the Marine Corps...quite the opposite really. Only a few, determined, dedicated and proud men and women can earn that title of United States Marine.

Yeah, but it's still a huge step in your life if you think about it. There's so many pro's and con's. If there was no wedding, I wouldn't have a problem.

Funny you ask this because a buddy of mine and I are actually graduating early and timing our boot leave like your wedding accept for high school graduation. We're trying to walk at graduation in our Dress Blues. Anyways, if I were you I would just graduate early.

If I am not going to go to boot camp earlie, ill stay in school and enjoy my full senior slacker year. 6 of my 7 hours are shop classes.
    Damn I don't know how they do it at your school but at my school if your a senior your only required to take four classes, most of the seniors who didn't **** up get out after third or fourth period i.e. at like eleven A.M. or earlier. Do they make your take all those classes even in senior year? I took summer school so I get out after third period and I'm graduating early.

Well, I could do that by taking a bunch of difference classes to get out. I would just rather take a structures class where we build a house, and then advance conditioning, good times.....

You asked my opinion, so I'll keep it short and to the point. What *I* would do is enjoy my last year as a civilian. Now that I know this is my last year, and who knows what could happen after this.. I'd be making sure all old bridges aren't burned and have a hell of a time and leave a lasting impression. The Corps won't go anywhere. You've got your ship date, your brothers wedding, and a last year to kick up your feet and enjoy life. Your service will come soon enough. Just my .02 cents, bro.

Ultimately, just follow what your heart is telling you. What will make YOU happy. Soon it will be the Corps who tells you what to do. Hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by JWG View Post
    You asked my opinion, so I'll keep it short and to the point. What *I* would do is enjoy my last year as a civilian. Now that I know this is my last year, and who knows what could happen after this.. I'd be making sure all old bridges aren't burned and have a hell of a time and leave a lasting impression. The Corps won't go anywhere. You've got your ship date, your brothers wedding, and a last year to kick up your feet and enjoy life. Your service will come soon enough. Just my .02 cents, bro.

Ultimately, just follow what your heart is telling you. What will make YOU happy. Soon it will be the Corps who tells you what to do. Hehe.
    This is what alot of my friends are saying to.

Thread Information