Bad tooth a problem for boot?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bad tooth a problem for boot?

I have a pretty bad cavity, Its one of my back teeth, and its about half the tooth and I never go to the Dentist. Is that going to be a problem at boot?

My advice to you, since you're not in the DEP yet and don't have a ship date, go to a dentist and get it taken care of. Then you won't have to worry about it being a problem when you do get a ship date and go to boot camp.

You got a yuck mouth cause you don't brush...

Quote Originally Posted by Enrique2010 View Post
    I have a pretty bad cavity, Its one of my back teeth, and its about half the tooth and I never go to the Dentist. Is that going to be a problem at boot?

If it doesn't bother you then I don't see why it will be a problem. They will remove it later if it can't be saved via a filling or a root canal.

It doesnt hurt or anything. It just looks bad. Ive never been to a Dentist either. Im guessing I should go soon? lol.

A bad looking tooth now can cause more problems down the road. If you can get it looked at and taken care of now, then you don't have to worry about it later.

As my grandmomma said .. " you only get two sets of teeth....

It doesnt hurt or anything. It just looks bad. Ive never been to a Dentist either. Im guessing I should go soon? lol.
    Well, think about it from a chics point of view, if nothing else -- what self-respecting female is gonna wanna lock lips with you knowing that you got a yuck mouth.

And, if you think it looks bad other's think it looks worse.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    Well, think about it from a chics point of view, if nothing else -- what self-respecting female is gonna wanna lock lips with you knowing that you got a yuck mouth.

If you think it looks bad other's think it looks worse.

Good luck.
    Lmao. Haha. Well I've never had problems in that area but thanks for the luck. I'm sure I will need it. I was told that if the cavity was more than half the tooth, then I would need a root canal. I hear its painful.

My brother just had a root canal done about 2 weeks ago, and for him, it wasn't very painful, but then again, he has a very high tollerance level for pain.LOL! Others that I do know who have had a root canal said they can be very painful.
    Like I said, if I were you, I'd get it taken care of now. You don't want it to turn into something more than a root canal and you sure as heck don't want that to become an abcessed tooth.

I hear its painful.
    I've had two root canals, one while I was in, and now one as a civilian. I had a yuck mouth growing up cause we couldn't afford a dentist and I didn't brush/ate too much candy.

As far as the pain goes,,, it's more mental and uncomfortable then it is real "pain". I didn't think it was painful at all. They numb you pretty well and it's not much of a thing today with the technology.

The sooner that you deal with it the less likely that they will need to pull it. That's the worst case scenario and not good.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I want a whole new set

i had the exact same problem believe it or not. I had a little more then half a tooth missing when I went to boot. I recommend you just got to bootcamp and let them take care of it. The naval dentists there are MORE then generous with numbing medication and they know what they're doing. That and it will be on the Marine Corps tab =P

Quote Originally Posted by hbarcus View Post
    i had the exact same problem believe it or not. I had a little more then half a tooth missing when I went to boot. I recommend you just got to bootcamp and let them take care of it. The naval dentists there are MORE then generous with numbing medication and they know what they're doing. That and it will be on the Marine Corps tab =P
    Personally, I think this is a bad piece of advice since this young man isn't even in the DEP yet and doesn't even have a ship date either. And if he is in the DEP and has a ship date, then he needs to update his profile.

Well, I swear in on the 13th so im technically not in the DEP yet. But I will be. Im just on vacation right now so Im not back home in San Diego. Thanks for the advice. I'll just let them take care of it

ehhh...

Quote Originally Posted by hbarcus View Post
    Last I checked, it was free dental for a reason. You get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by Corporal M View Post
    Last I checked, it was free dental for a reason. You get what you pay for.
    Good point, Corporal. They messed up one filling of mine, but I talked to my SDI during SDI time about it and they sent me back to get it fixed up. Besides that though all my other dental work has been great. I'm very glad with the work I've gotten done, its made it easier to eat and helped me be more confident in myself.

Thread Information