Saw Gran Torino last night
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Saw Gran Torino last night

I thought it was a good movie. My wife had a hard time following the "morals" that I thought were in the movie, but she thought it was pretty good, too. What did you guys think of it?

Maybe I'm looking too far into this, but this is what I got from it: (DONT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE)

I think that there was some underlying messages that were aimed towards the youth of today about how they take everything for granted and show no respect. The guy earned a Silver Star in Korea, but no one seemed to care - they showed no respect to him, even during his wife's funeral. His own son and granddaughter just wanted his stuff when he died. I thought that was f*cked up.

Although it turned out to be a good thing, he was kind of forced to make friends with the people he hated. I thought this made a statement about the whole "love thy neighbor" thing. I think it also shows that your enemies (in his case, the Koreans next door) are people, too. And he ultimately died to protect the people he once killed.

Don't take me wrong, I would still very much have a problem with a neighborhood of Iraqis living around me (not trying to be racist, just truthful), and I highly doubt that I would intervene if they decided to bring the hurt on each other, but I think I see what the movie is saying.

What do you guys think about it? Maybe I analyzed it too much.

I thought it was a bit of a story of redemption as well.

It's easy to look at people hurting each other when both sides are ****ing on each other. But it's tough to turn a blind eye to kids who can't stand up for themselves (which is what the movie was showing).

I thought there was a lot of undertones in the movie. It'd really take a long stint to get into it.

Overall, I just thought it was good. Thought-provoking.

I saw it this weekend too, it was slow in the beginning but it picked up towards the end.

I definately cried at the end. I thought he was to go crazy on those guys and he ended up doing the right thing and put those guys away for good.

Oh and I dont think they were Korean, they were Hmong which are groups of people in the mountainous region of Southeast Asia (different countries and I looked on line and they didn't list koreans as Hmong).

Quote Originally Posted by Fievel View Post
    I thought it was a good movie. My wife had a hard time following the "morals" that I thought were in the movie, but she thought it was pretty good, too. What did you guys think of it?

Maybe I'm looking too far into this, but this is what I got from it: (DONT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE)

I think that there was some underlying messages that were aimed towards the youth of today about how they take everything for granted and show no respect. The guy earned a Silver Star in Korea, but no one seemed to care - they showed no respect to him, even during his wife's funeral. His own son and granddaughter just wanted his stuff when he died. I thought that was f*cked up.

Although it turned out to be a good thing, he was kind of forced to make friends with the people he hated. I thought this made a statement about the whole "love thy neighbor" thing. I think it also shows that your enemies (in his case, the Koreans next door) are people, too. And he ultimately died to protect the people he once killed.

Don't take me wrong, I would still very much have a problem with a neighborhood of Iraqis living around me (not trying to be racist, just truthful), and I highly doubt that I would intervene if they decided to bring the hurt on each other, but I think I see what the movie is saying.

What do you guys think about it? Maybe I analyzed it too much.
    those "people" he killed were not the ones next door... they were Hmongs (sp)... or the south koreans... so he realized you have to be more specific of the people you hate, that broad statements he's made over the years were slightly mis-guided... he says racial remarks are a way friends communicate and not to get your pantys in a bunch when you hear it (lots of problems since the 60's) and that you need to focus on those who do wrong.

the redemption thing is not so much the focus as he does point out that his childrens generation is a generation of instand gratification and that they don't work hard for what they have and expect everything for free.

all of this he makes evident with the kid working hard to "be a man" and in turn make the neighborhood nice again...

the dying part just makes for his life to be worth something for the viewers by having character development.

great movie by the way...

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    HMONG tribe lives in Laos, and Viet Nam. Our Bat. worked with some of them. Tough, independent, and unafraid people, willing to die for what they believe is right.

The question about "Gran Torino" is..."will YOU stand up for what you KNOW is RIGHT???"....FVCKIN' A'!!....today, just like those MEN who signed, and wrote, The Declaration of Independence!!!....I took an OATH.....REMEMBER???.....SEMPER FIDELIS....Doc Greek

Credits
    Savings
    When I saw it I thought of all those crazy old fuks like you out there pizzed off and toting guns, Doc Made me feel a little safer at night... : SF

I fell asleep halfway through this movie, but most movies do that to me.

I will say this, that man had a lot of Archie Bunker in him. Very racist and bigoted, and I'm not sure that I want to give him the man of the year title just yet.

I have to see the rest of the movie to pass full judgement, and I'm not saying the guy wasn't a hero, but I dunno, he seemed like angry white guy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    I fell asleep halfway through this movie, but most movies do that to me.

I will say this, that man had a lot of Archie Bunker in him. Very racist and bigoted, and I'm not sure that I want to give him the man of the year title just yet.

I have to see the rest of the movie to pass full judgement, and I'm not saying the guy wasn't a hero, but I dunno, he seemed like angry white guy to me.
    He definitely was an angry white guy, but I think he had his reasons (not making excuses for him).

Quote Originally Posted by Fievel View Post
    He definitely was an angry white guy, but I think he had his reasons (not making excuses for him).
    I need to finish watching it before I step on my crank.

I thought his mentality was too old-fashioned and closed minded at the beginning from his experiences in Korea, but getting to know his neighbors opened him up. I loved the way he taught the kid to be a man though, that was one of the funnier parts. As far as people not respecting War Vets these days, I think the general populace is more aware then they used to be of the sacrifices Veterans have made for their country, but still most people don't know/respect what something like a Silver Star means.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Close minded???? Like when you fall into an outhouse and shut your mouth? He had his war, and his enemies. I ain't judgin,,,,,,,,,

Yea close minded, like when you judge everyone else for a certain few's actions. But he's a fictional character and he obviously turned himself around and made a better man of himself for it, so what's the issue here?

Credits
    Savings
    The whole world changed on him...after the war his country went downhill-represented by his son "selling jap cars" the neighborhood changed on him...his wife "left" him.

in the end, he realized the neigborhood had changed faces, but these people shared more in common with him and his generation than his own children ever would...

he was never a racist or a bigot...it was a shallow defense mechanism... no hate just a sharp tongue

Just finished watching it, great movie but I dont have an analysis yet.

I will say that he had one line that was classic Eastwood when he approached the 3 black kids who were taunting the Hmong girl.....

"Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while that you should'nt have f*cked with? That's me".

Quote Originally Posted by ameriken View Post
    Just finished watching it, great movie but I dont have an analysis yet.

I will say that he had one line that was classic Eastwood when he approached the 3 black kids who were taunting the Hmong girl.....

"Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while that you should'nt have f*cked with? That's me".
    I think that was my favorite line.

Thread Information