Marine Dress Shoes WW2 era - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Registered User Free Member Lock-n-Load's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Thumbs up G392339

I stand corrected!!....G392339 is right...it was Kiwi cordovan dress shoe polish issued at Boot...I followed the WW2 Marines, and I'm not fearful to admit I made a mistake...The record is the most important thing; however, since discharged back to a cheap-s**t-civilian, I have favored Kiwi/black shoes polish now and my dress shoes are still spit-shined...I wonder why?? Semper Fidelis

Registered User Free Member Lock-n-Load's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Smile greensideout

Thanks Marine for your...backup...in the above submissions; it did not go overlooked, Marine. Gung-Ho

Remember the smuge pots at the range for the M-1 sights?
    I think they use an under-arm spray can now. LOL

Remember M-NEW. The bottle worked well to shine our boots and the goo inside the bottle made our skeeter wings look salty. LOL

Remember the M-1 thumb?

Remember getting up, going to chow, and hitting the rack to bugle calls heard through-out the base?

Remember------

You bring back memories, the old smudge pots, we would use
    it on the front sights of the 03s. hadnt thought of that one in
    many, many, years. SEmper Fi Gene

G392339,

It's fun to share some old Marine memories at times.

As compared to you, I'm just a "boot". Was a kid when you served.

I want to thank you for your service that protected me and my countries' freedom!

Semper Fi, Ron

Re: G392339

Originally posted by Lock-n-Load
    my dress shoes are still spit-shined...I wonder why?? Semper Fidelis
    For the same reason that you got a "backup" Marine!

Semper Fi

You guys got me started, any one that used the old 03, remember
    the peep sight was small, (or the V sight)when we were given the M-1s, the
    peep sight seemed to enormous and really took some snapping
    in to get use to and how many of you guys almost lost their thumb with the bolt? I know I had more than one swollen right
    thumb. Also the thing I didnt like about the M-1 was in sand it would jamb up and you would have to snap it apart and clean
    it, with the old 03 all you did was pull out the bolt and blow on it and put it back in, I hope that future weapons were improved
    on although I was pretty skeptical when I heard you Viet Nam
    guys were using Mattel stocks, but I understand they were a
    terrrific weapon and no kick what so ever? Semper Fi GEne

I joined in Feb, 1943 and was the only man in my platoon to be issued genuine shell cordovan high top dress shoes, because of my size 13b. All others were issued low cordovan color dress shoes but not genuine cordovan. Hit it lucky twice, on my return from the pacific, I was issued another pair of shell cordovan high top dress shoes. My pride and joy.

Cool M1 vs M14 vs M16.................

Went thru boot camp with the M1, did see the M14, our series made traing films for the M14............But I do know the M1 thumb very well.........LOL........Had it a few times.......LOL........First time I saw the M16 was in Nam.........But always had another weapon with me............We even had Mattel stickers on our stocks........They were sent to us by a mother of one of my Marines.......She worked for Mattel.........: "It's Made by Mattel, It's Swell"...............LOL

Sempers,

Roger

I want to thank you all for making me feel older than I really am!!!
    Just kidding. After reading all of the above I started remembering some of the things you all have mentioned, ie., M-1 Thumb, M-14's , M-16's etc., etc.. Hey Drifter, remember ITR, and all the ranges we had to hump to. Do you remember the 3.5 rocket launcher. How about the 106 or the ONTOS? Oh, and my favorite one was the expolsives range, where you had to crimp the blasting cap behind the right cheek of your a**. Or Big Agony and Little Agony.

Newb: 1st time I ran into rockets was on Iwo and it scaired the
    the devil out of me, on rockets I couldnt tell if it was in-coming or
    outgoing, the artiller y you could tell which direction the shells were heading but for the life of me I could ever tell on rockets and that swoosh! Geez! Semper Fi Gene

Yep...with artillery you knew incomming from outgoing. I was on hill 34 and we had our share of rockets going overhead toward Danang airfield. Sounded like a train going by in the sky. It was the ones that fell short that we were worried about!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Cool ITR.........ETC........

NEWB, Remember ITR, also coming in late at night from the field and cold showers cause the hot water was all used up.......LOL
    How about the old .30 cal air cooled machinegun........and the good old .50 cal machinegun..........And who could forget the BAR..............LOL...........About a week before completing ITR, I injuryed my right hand........Was put on light duty..........I finally got my first hot shower in over three weeks.........LMAO

Sempers,

Roger

Drifter we had b oth the water cooled and air cooled MGs, however b oth were 30 cal. they had the 50 but not considered
    anitipersonnel weapon. I remember some of the MG telling me
    that during one of the nips banzai attack, the barrels became so
    hot they either had to change the barrell, which was quite a job,
    or wait, however most of the times the barrells were so pitted they had to change them. They had the cloth belts, where as if
    I recall the 50s fired clips? didnt have much to do with them as they were were weapons companies. Interesting though. Semper Fi Gene

Remember the Ice Plants that we took care of around the quonset huts at MCRD, San Diego? They were planted one bayonet lenght apart and the sand was carefully cleaned and raked between them. Don't walk on the grass! LOL

Drifter, I don't remember any "light duty" at Hollywood ITR.
    You must have gone to boot at PI. LMAO

Thread Information