Marine’s achievements recognized with meritorious promotion
Create Post

Exclamation Marine’s achievements recognized with meritorious promotion

MARINE CORPS BASE HAWAII, Hawaii —

A large crowd of Marines surrounded the Pacific War Memorial aboard Marine Corps Base Hawaii April 2. A combination of officers, fellow noncommissioned officers and family gathered to congratulate Staff Sgt. Michael Ciccolone on his meritorious promotion to the rank of staff sergeant.

Ciccolone was one of the only 31 sergeants selected Marine Corps–wide for the highly competitive, non-combat meritorious promotion.

Ciccolone started his Marine Corps journey six years ago, at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo., where he attended the military occupation specialty school for military police.

After completing his necessary courses, he was sent to his first duty station, Marine Corps Logistics Base Barstow, Calif. Ciccolone fulfilled his responsibilities and went above and beyond what was expected of him as a junior Marine.

While at Barstow, Ciccolone excelled above his peers and was sent back to Military Police School to be trained as a military working dog handler. This was an opportunity most military police Marines never receive.

A military working dog trainer is a special duty and Marines are handpicked selected. If a Marine is not selected after graduating military police school, they most likely will not be, said Ciccolone.

After he completed his secondary training, Ciccolone was sent to MCBH and he hit the ground running. He took on new responsibilities while working with a dog named Cindy, a seven-year-old Belgium Malinois. Some of his new responsibilities included feeding, training and comforting Cindy during on - and - off duty hours, said Ciccolone.

Along with excelling in his new job, Ciccolone found time to volunteer in the community, become a Marine Corps Martial Arts Program instructor, attend school full time and start a family.

Ciccolone was recognized as MCB Hawaii’s NCO of the Quarter for the third quarter of 2008 and then NCO of the Year for calendar year 2008. He then continued and won the staff sergeant meritorious selection board.

Ciccolone took on extra responsibility, but he looked to his senior NCOs for advice and guidance along the way. Master Sgt. Phillip Fraizer specifically stood out as a mentor, said Ciccolone.

“He epitomizes what a staff NCO is and should be,” said Ciccolone. “He’s naturally a good leader and I look to him for guidance.”

Ciccolone constantly pushes himself to become better and his great work ethic has not gone unnoticed by his staff NCOs.

“He is a consistent top performer with little or no supervision,” said Fraizer.

Ciccolone has proven to his chain of command and his peers to be a dependable Marine while setting his personal standards and goals well beyond expectations.

“I always set my own high goals and work hard to accomplish them,” said Ciccolone. “I think it’s a good way to better myself.”

Along with setting high personal goals, his driven, positive attitude kept Ciccolone on his path to success.

“An award is a representation of a past performance, but a promotion is all about future expectations,” said Ciccolone.

Because of his promotion, Ciccolone has moved from the dog kennels to serving as a watch commander, putting him in charge of a section of military working dog trainers on base.

Ciccolone’s staff NCOs don’t have any doubts about him taking on his new leadership position.

“I think Staff Sgt. Ciccolone will perform outstandingly with his new leadership responsibilities,” said Fraizer.

After the promotion ceremony Ciccolone stepped in front of a formation of Marines and his loved ones who came to support and congratulate him.

He thanked everyone who made a personal impact in his career and then walked away proudly, ready to enter a new phase of his Marine Corps career.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3069.JPG‎
Views:	415
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	7267  

OORAH SSGT!!! this fine gentleman is in my section! a top notch SNCO!

oorah ssgt! I know this fine gentleman,where really gonna miss him in the kennels but he'se a top notch SNCO and will make a great watch commander.

he helped me out alot when I first got here,showing me how to enroll in college and the best way to set it up to afford myself the most time to complete my courses.He'se a great handler and I can always ask him questions,he'se a top notch SNCO and will make a great watch commander OORAH SSGT!!

Thread Information