Aerial/Door Gunner - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    46's are just about all swapped over to the MV-22's. I believe my room mate is going to one of the last ones to change over. The squadrons in Miramar are the last of them to be changing as well. Also if you go to C-130 for air crew and are put in the "Crew master" position you will be on Little Rock AFB, AR for awhile. Theres a few guys that started class last month that are going to be crew masters (Load Master/Crew Chief) that won't be leaving until just about spring of next year.

@thezero
    All of the east coast (sans HMX, Norfolk, and the roadrunners) have switched, and the Miramar bubbas are converting now. However, Oki and Pendleton still have their squadrons and are expecting to convert within the next few years.

For all the Phrog guys here, I heard a rumor that one of our crew chiefs was told by CMC himself that the H-46 is the greatest helicopter the Corps has ever had. Whether its true, I don't know, but hot damn! That makes me proud.

Aerial/Door Gunner(Crew Chief).

Onux16, it was almost a daily occurance in '69 when I had my Birds as Crew Chief. The(Button-Hooks), were something to get to go through. Believe me, there is not a Pilot Flying 46's or any other Bird in inventory in the Marine Corps that has the knowledge or the guts to do one now. You had 15-20 seconds to get in and out of a zone, and that was bout the best way to get in, and out and stay alive. We also had to do an Auto-rotation each time we flew by a good sized Base as we were getting hit, and dropping like flies a lot, along with engine failures, and the Pilots had to know how to hit the ground without blowing up. The Auto-rotation saved us many times for certain. I do believe HMX-1 will keep the 46's they have well beyond the 2017 shut down time, but unless the osprey falls on its tail feathers, it'll be gone by 2015-17. The General is correct as the 46 is the Best Bird,(Helicopter), the Marine Corps has ever had for any mission it was assigned to do. I know. Many of us Know, as it was capabbale of doing any mission for that matter. My Alphas' have haulled 21 fully loaded Combat Packs before and Flew like Champs. I had 5. Just Glad you had the chance to Crew one in your Flying. You now know how much we loved the Bird. It makes me sick what the ground pounding Generals are doing to it, but it could come back one day if they are not sold to other countries. Semper Fi, and Ready-APP.

Credits
    Savings
    John, check back with me or Burgess. I don't remember the date, but I think it is January next, that HMM-165 is casing it's colors. This to be in San Diego. Lot of us Plank Holders are gonna try to be there.

Thread Information