Opinions on requesting overseas base - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    The 'make love and war' days are here, thank God. Now go kill a terrorist!

Fixed it for you commdog.

Credits
    Savings
    Hindsight being 20/20, I'd stay in and go everywhere I could. As a civilian, what's it cost to go spend a year in Oki? When's the next time you can shoot over to the Middle East? Where is Guam anyway? Take on Embassy Duty and the rest of the world comes into play. Maybe a Med float? My advice is look for the opportunities that a military life has. Yeah, yeah, you may have to dodge a few rounds here and there and have your skivies stamped with your name and skid-free, but if I could do it all over again, I would have: been an 03 (at least my first tour), stayed in for at least 20, stayed single for the first 10 years, and looked forward to new assignments. I didn't know how good I had it until I proved my Senior DI right. He said when you get back on the block, all your boys will still be sitting around, same ol' same ol'. Yep - right where I left 'em.
    There is generally a lot of negativity about new duty stations, or going back to ones you left behind. It can be as negative or positive an experience as you want it to be. I met so many who really hated being stationed in Hawaii for 3 years. My 2 cents.
    Good luck!
    C

Quote Originally Posted by Achped View Post
    Heck no gunny! At least it wasn't like that for me, I know ALLllll the WMs go to Oki and thats where I wanted to go! The Marine Corps said I couldnt be a grunt anymore so I decided it was time to be around the ladies...Asian and Marine, it didn't matter.

But of course I got stuck with an all male battalion out of Hawaii... whatever though. At least I get ribbons this way haha.
    Where were all the WMs when I was there or was I too busy looking at the other side?

A male Marine obsessed with women makes you sick, Sgt? I could be chasing men....speaking of that, where is PaidinBlood?
    That's a good one Marine,lmfao.

I definitely recommend going overseas first. I had a great time when i was stationed over in Oki (CP Hansen). I did get over there and within about 2 months of being over there they finally lifted a stop loss/stop move and our unit dropped by 1/2. We were stuck on running guard for pretty much 8+ months, but all in all it was fun. If you do go over there, SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!! You make quite a bit more over there compared stateside. I was shocked at how much less i made when i left island and went to Quantico.

Great info. Much appreciated Marines.

Quote Originally Posted by TJR1070 View Post
    I joined the Marine Corps to see the World not the States.
    I agree 100% - I thought the same thing.

I started off with a three-year contract, and when they asked, I requested overseas. I got Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii. Three months after I arrived in Hawaii we rotated (the first time) to Okinawa for 6 months, (3 of those six-months I was STUCK in the Phillipenes;(

Great thought to start my day off with.........

Okinawa is the largest overseas Marine Corps installation. If you get overseas, you will more than likely be in Okinawa somewhere.

Second, getting stationed overseas is not a deployment. It is a duty station. A deployment is going out of garrison, on a mission. It can be Thailand (where I am currently typing this from), Korea, Afghanistan, the Phillipenes, or any country that is not considered a permanent duty station (regardless of if we are at war with the country or not).

If you do get to go to Okinawa, the deployments are incredible. As I said I am currently in Thailand. A trip to Korea just left from Okinawa. When I get back to Oki, there is a trip to the Phillipenes, and this summer brings Australia. Plus more countries, plus the opportunity for humanitarian missions at every turn. That, and the 31st MEU is here, so you might get to go to dozens of more countries, even if only for a few days each.

There's my two cents.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Not ALLLLL WM's go to Oki - I got sent to Iwakuni. Let's just say I had a BLAST while I was there!

Credits
    Savings

Cool

A male Marine obsessed with women makes you sick, Sgt? I could be chasing men....speaking of that, where is PaidinBlood?

aw hell a week late and a paycheck short...missed it. maybe next time, Brasso...

Thread Information