February 3, 2009
Korean group praises vets for service, sacrifice

Man on mission presents medals to 100 in Brevard

BY JOHN A. TORRES
FLORIDA TODAY

Some older veterans of America's "Forgotten War" struggled to stand at attention and make it up to the front of the room to be honored.

Some could not walk to the front at all. And as tough, strong and proud as they appeared, mention of the war reduced many to tears.

Not ready to fade away, 100 or so local Korean War veterans gathered Monday -- many dressed in neatly pressed uniforms with military decorations -- to receive a medallion of service and thanks from South Korea during an emotionally charged ceremony.

"Thank you for your service," Byunghoon Bang said, as he placed the medallion around the necks of the men and women called up during the presentation at the Brevard Veterans Memorial Center.

Bang is president of Goodwork Korea Inc., a nonprofit Korean-American cultural foundation with roots in Seoul, Korea.

Nearly 34,000 Americans were killed in battle during the three-year struggle. North and South Korea officially are still at war.

"I lost a lot of friends there," said Palm Bay resident Max Santory, who helped translate for an all-Puerto Rican regiment that fought in Korea, as he choked back tears. "It took a long time to get recognition. I'm happy for all those who made it here."

Bang, a Methodist seminary student living in Kentucky, came to the United States to study theology in 2003 from South Korea, where he worked on a government-sponsored program to present medallions to those who fought for South Korea's freedom from Communist aggression. The program came to an end, but Bang knew that not every American GI had received his or her medal.

So he asked the government for the surplus medals and has been on a personal mission ever since.

"Without your sacrifice, South Koreans would not be able to worship God," he said to a chorus of "Amens." "Because of Korean War veterans, Koreans now have a chance to know Jesus Christ."

Bang has awarded nearly 500 medallions in the United States since 2005.

Veterans from Tampa, Clermont and Puerto Rico also attended.

Carol Becker was only 20 years old when her husband was killed by sniper fire three days after the armistice was signed in 1953. At first, she thought the telegram informing her of his death was to tell her that her husband, Robert, was on his way home.

She proudly accepted his medallion as a "Gold Star wife."

"I'm just pleased and thrilled," said the Clermont resident. "It gives me the chills all over."

Others had a hard time containing their emotions.

"I had to have my mom sign me in. I just wanted to be a volunteer," said Nelson Ruiz of Titusville, who joined the Army as a 17-year-old in Puerto Rico.

"It was all very scary," he added, before bursting into tears, as he tried to recount experiences at key battles. "We supported the infantry and Marines. They used us for ground support. But I feel great being honored with this today."

Santory was wounded in battle, but, like Ruiz, said there was good reason to continue fighting.

"When I was there, I saw a lot of heartbreak and suffering," Santory said. "So many people were hungry. We would share our K rations with them. My leg was wounded and I was blinded for a couple of days, but then I went right back to the front line."

Dr. Chyung Kim of Rockledge, a Korean native who served in the South Korean Army and with the U.S. Army, helped to arrange Monday's presentation, in conjunction with the Korean War Veterans Association, Chapter 210, and the Brevard Veterans Council, a coalition of 70 veterans' organizations in Brevard County.

"Bang wants to go all over the world, thanking the veterans for their service," he said. "That is really something."

Contact Torres at 242-3649 or jtorres@floridatoday.com.
Additional Facts
How to help

Byunghoon Bang, president of Goodwork Korea Inc. -- a 501(3)(c) nonprofit Korean-American cultural foundation of Seoul, Korea, working to honor veterans -- pays for all expenses except for the medals. Donations can be made to: Goodwork Korea, 215 N. Maple St., No. 6, Wilmore, KY 40390.

Ellie