Regulation on saluting - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Sounds like the CO likely has never been shot at. Officers I knew would have beeyotch slapped ANY of us if we had saluted them in the field as they considered it 'targeting' them for the enemy.

Quite frankly, I'd jubiliantly carry THIS one out, with the proper greeting, loudly, as well.

"GOOD MORNING, SIR!!!!!!" with a snappy, well executed salute.

I assure you, 'this too, will pass'.
    exactly

Quote Originally Posted by usmc0331 View Post
    exactly
    LOL After the first time a round whizzes past his ear following a snappy salute, he will reconsider his reasons for the order.

That is strange, but there will never be a shortage of O's who think it's right and just that they get their salutes, regardless of the situation.
    My CO forbade us to salute any of our officers while in Afghanistan. As the situation would have it; the Army ran the show over there, and their officers and particularly; their Command Sgt. Maj. had a problem with Marines not saluting them (the officers).
    Now; picture we are in a compound with armed, native Afghans walking around with loaded AK's; no uniform...no insignia, no nothing...not smart security, but who the heck am I, right?
    Our Sgt. Maj. had to get the Command Sgt. Maj. "locked on" to the fact that Marines do not salute in country, and danged sure not in the field.
    Hey...if he wants his salute that badly; give it to him, but don't exactly take the bullet that comes after it.

It does exist

I can tell you that I know for a fact that 2d MEF FWD has a policy specifically dictating that saluting will not be done in a boonie cover, kevlar, field, or austere environment. I read the policy to my Marines when we touched dirt in Afghanistan. As for a garrison policy, I would suggest researching your MEF's policies via the MEF page on USMC.mil.

But remember, being right is all good and well, but its more important to pick your battles. Even if you know its wrong, if its a garrison field environment, its not going to hurt anything to salute him. If he tells you to do it in a combat environment, then you might want to set the order on his desk. Or better yet, use your chain of command and follow what Gunny says. It takes brass huevos to go toe to toe with the Company Commander, but it takes brains to get a Gunny to do it for you.

Credits
    Savings
    Posts #5, #9 hit it right on target
    Ammodrivers first sentence also in post
    ("
    That is strange, but there will never be a shortage of O's who think it's right and just that they get their salutes, regardless of the situation.")

Be carefull working near that officer,, he's got ISSUES.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    For 2d MLG FWD, we have been told not to salute under any circumstances in afghanistan. Lovin every second of it.

PJones64
    Guest Free Member
    Lets keep posting to a two year old thread
    Why did some of you people join up? you dont like this, you dont like that you dont like saluting, stay home and watch the home front next time and you wont have to whine about doing military things

So a Marine had a question on a regulation and he's a whiner?

Credits
    Savings
    Follow last standing order
    Stupid non combatants----

May the round passing through his grape miss you .

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by PJones64 View Post
    Why did some of you people join up? you dont like this, you dont like that you dont like saluting, stay home and watch the home front next time and you wont have to whine about doing military things
    A revitalized thread , is like a dog that "Marks his scent" onto fireplug.
    Some of us, just wanna see how far up we can make it squirt ????????

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    So whats the problem with someone reading a post from 2 years ago and putting his or her thoughts on the subject?

Quote Originally Posted by cturner View Post
    Long story short, my Co. CMDR has issued an order that Marines will salute in the field, wearing kevlars, etcetera. I've always learned that this is against the customs and courtesies of the Marine Corps, and my question today is whether it is formally recorded in an MCO, or if it solely exists in Marine Corps tradition.

If there is no regulation prohibiting this, then I will gladly follow my orders; however, I make it a habit to know what Marine Corps orders and directives actually say. Anyone have any input?
    Uhh, maybe your CO has a deathwish?

So say you were still an active Marine and you were currently in Sangin (Afghanistan), your CO forms your entire platoon up and proceeds to run all of you in formation around your fob, and outside the berm, would you keep your mouth shut and wait to die? Or would you be a man and actually pipe up?

Credits
    Savings
    First of all. If your company commander is giving out orders like that then most likely he's a Super POG. Just like the rest of the officers you see running around Afghanistan wearing there shiney brass and sweet shoulder strap pistol holsters. Same guys that think the war on terror is fought at Leatherneck. And the same guys you will see at a full sprint to the IDF shelters when you hear the incoming warning. But unfortunately sometimes you just got to get yourself a straw and suck it the f*** up and do what he says. Because at the end of the day he gets paid the big bucks to make the important decisions like that.

Quote Originally Posted by urBansRfunny View Post
    So say you were still an active Marine and you were currently in Sangin (Afghanistan), your CO forms your entire platoon up and proceeds to run all of you in formation around your fob, and outside the berm, would you keep your mouth shut and wait to die? Or would you be a man and actually pipe up?
    Secondly. This was probably the most retarded scenario you could have come up with. No one in there right mind, Officer or Enlisted, Boot or Salt Dog would ever do something like that in Sangin. Anyone who has actually spent any time there and been outside the wire truly knows the dangers faced.

really?!?!

As far as people needing to get out because they don't like saluting, that has nothing to do with it. A non-saluting environment is required to survive combat.

And don't chalk him in as just a POG guys... I'm an air wing pog and I can tell you right now, I was taking RPG fire less than a mile from Pusseh. I've also been over to the Kajaki (i know my spelling sucks) dam. Its not about being a pog, its about what he knows, and being man enough to admit what he doesnt know....

Thread Information