Young Marines tackle obstacles, learn way of Marines
Create Post

Exclamation Young Marines tackle obstacles, learn way of Marines

Young Marines tackle obstacles, learn way of Marines

Published: Friday, January 9, 2009 3:25 PM CST
    Cpl. Nicole A. LaVine

Combat Correspondent

MOUNTAIN WARFARE TRAINING CENTER BRIDGEPORT, Calif. - The Marine Corps’ standards on honor, courage and commitment have drawn in courageous men and women for centuries.

For some Marines, the inspiration to join the elite ranks of those who fought in historic battles such as Belleau Wood struck at an early age.

Sixteen of those challenge-seeking members of the Young Marine Program joined Marines from Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training Center Bridgeport, Calif., for a short week of military-like activities Dec. 27 to 30.

Members of the Lance Cpl. Kenneth Lee Worley Young Marine Unit from Bellflower, Calif., participated in several military activities such as mountain land navigation, map reading, hiking, rock climbing and other pastimes, said retired 1st Sgt. Jack R. Closson, the unit’s commanding officer.

Closson, who has been in charge of the unit since its establishment four years ago, said he believes the Young Marine Program helps teach young Americans solid work ethics and the value of being a productive citizen.

“This program gets and keeps the kids off the streets,” said Closson, a Benton Harbor, Mich., native. “It gives any 8 to 18-year-olds who want to get challenged a chance to pursue those challenges.”

Closson added the Young Marine Program is an anti-drug, anti-gang element supporting the Drug Demand Reduction Program and is sponsored by the Marine Corps League.

Dominic Rodriguezdeorey, a 17-year-old sergeant in the Young Marine Program, was the most senior member to attend the trip. He and his younger brother, Christian, said they find great satisfaction in what the program offers.

“It teaches you discipline, that’s for sure,” said Rodriguezdeorey, a Bellflower, Calif., native. “It has taught me a lot about motivation, about thinking more than just yourself, about integrity and how to be a better citizen in general.”

Rodriguezdeorey, who has been in the program for five years, said he highly recommends peers to find out for themselves what the program can do for them.

“It has changed a lot of people I know,” he said. “It keeps you busy during the weekends and gives you a lot of people to relate to who will have your back.”

Christian, 16, has been in the program for four years and said his brother’s stories about the opportunities in the program inspired him to join as well.

“My brother told me details about being in the program, gaining rank, earning respect and about all the activities they do,” he said. “I’ve noticed a change in myself since I joined. I’m doing better in school, I do what I’m told and I stay out of trouble.”

After the Young Marines discovered the secrets and challenges of rock wall climbing at the MWTC fitness center Dec. 29, they made their way to their sleeping quarters near the MWTC Expeditionary Air Field, conducted a military-style clean-up and had dinner.

They arose early the next morning for a hearty breakfast before their long drive back to Bellflower.

The Young Marine Program has worked to strengthen the characters and discipline of young Americans across the nation since 1959, according to the Young Marines Web site http:// www.youngmarines.com.

For more information or to find out how to support one of the 34 California Young Marine units, visit the Web site.

Photo by Cpl. Nicole A. LaVine

Sgt. Harold E. Linsley, a Mountain Leaders Course instructor at Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training Center Bridgeport, Calif., and another MWTC Marine demonstrate the proper technique for hooking up the climbing harness to the Young Marines from the Lance Cpl. Kenneth Lee Worley Young Marine Unit out of Bellflower, Calif., before the Young Marines climb the rock wall at the MWTC fitness Center Dec. 29.

Ellie

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sports01.jpg‎
Views:	166
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	6569  

Thread Information