Drill Instructor cover.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Drill Instructor cover.

Last year I purchased an older,brown, Drill Instructor cover on eBay.How do I get it clean?It has no stains but has been sitting for some time.

I think you're screwed.... notice the material.... how do you think you clean that?

there's a reason hats get new covers each time they pick up new kids.

The cover is not to be worn by a Drill Instructor!I'm going to wear it in civilian life.Any high quality hat can be cleaned,I just want to know if there's a "Marine Corps Way" of cleaning it.

you better not wear that cover,you did'nt earn it. I just put a special curse on you!!!!!!!!!!!! Your head will fall off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm wearing it WITHOUT the Eagle,Globe and Anchor!!!I'd never try to impersonate a Marine Corps Drill Instructor.

As a former U.S.Marine,I have the greatest respect for our Drill Instructors.Their cover,when worn without the emblem,is not an item reserved exclusively for Drill Instructors.I intend to wear it at the correct angle and with an appropriate haircut (without the emblem).

i believe that the campaign covers can be steam cleaned? i may be wrong, ask around local cleaning shops. And I don't know if it's a good idea to wear them in public like a normal hat. Campaign covers are worn to show a sign of authority.

Wrong!!!! read the LAWS regarding wear of military uniforms.

11004. LAWS PERTAINING TO THE UNIFORM
    1. Per 10 U.S.C. 771, no person, unless otherwise authorized by law, may wear the uniform or a distinctive part of the uniform of which is similar to a distinctive part of the Marine Corps uniform.
    2. According to 18 U.S.C. 702, whoever wears the Marine Corps uniform without authority, in any place within the jurisdiction of the United States will be fined not more than $250 or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.
    3. According to 10 U.S.C. 772, the Marine Corps uniform may be worn by personnel not on active duty under the following conditions:
    a. Retired Marine Corps officers may bear the title and wear the uniform of their retired grade.
    b. Former Marines who are discharged honorably or under honorable conditions from the Marine Corps may wear their uniform while going from the place of discharge to their home of record, within three months after discharge.
    c. Former Marines not on active duty who served honorably in time of war in the Marine Corps may bear the title, and as authorized by regulations prescribed by the President, wear the uniform of the highest grade held during that war.
    d. While portraying a member of the Marine Corps, an actor in a theatrical or motion picture production may wear the Marine Corps uniform provided the portrayal does not tend to discredit the Marine Corps.
    e. While attending a course of military instruction conducted by the Marine Corps, a civilian may wear the uniform prescribed by the commander of the installation conducting the instruction.
    4. According to 10 U.S.C. 773, a person for whom one of the following uniforms is prescribed may wear it, if it includes distinctive insignia prescribed by the Secretary of the military department concerned to distinguish it from the uniform of the Marine Corps.
    a. The uniform prescribed by the university, college, or school for an instructor or member of the organized cadet corps of:
    (1) A State university or college, or a public high school, having a regular course of military instruction.
    (2) An educational institution having a regular course of military instruction, and having a member of the Marine Corps as instructor of military science and tactics.
    b. A uniform prescribed under subparagraph 11004.4a, above, may not include insignia of grade the same as, or similar to, those prescribed for Marine Corps officers.
    c. Under such regulations as the secretary of the military department concerned may prescribe, any person who is permitted to attend a course of instruction prescribed for members of Reserve Officers' Training Corps, and who is not a member of that corps, may, while attending that course of instruction, wear the uniform of that corps.
    5. According to 18 U.S.C. 244, whoever, being a proprietor, manager, or employee of a theater or other public place of entertainment or amusement in the District of Columbia or in any territory, or possession of the United States, causes any person wearing the uniform of any of the Armed Forces of the United States to be discriminated against because of that uniform, shall be fined not more than $500.

I hope this helps, I earned mine, and have no intention on ever wearing it again.

It is on a plaque signed by R. Lee......

Semper FI

man.... I didn't think he planned on wearing it... though he would want a cool looking smoky for something.

i didnt either till i saw wear with correct angle and haircut.........

yeah... well sir, even without the EGA on it I feel it's kinda silly to be wearing around... all it takes is an OLD school hat to notice and go off on him in the middle of the street, probably resulting in a forcible removal of the cover.

Yeah i cannot imagine why you would want to wear that unless you were some sort of law enforcement officer that had the exact specification. I can see it now.

levis - check
    nice shirt - check
    campaign cover that i never earned - check

yep I am ready for the town........

OK, I have to stop the blood is starting to boil.

I understand the significance of the campaign cover today as it is only authorized for DIs . At one time it was issued to every Marine.I did not earn one and would not wear one .

What about someone who is honorably discharged but wears a camo or digi cover ? I have a civil war era (reproduction) union cover . Is that illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by mjhpgh View Post
    I understand the significance of the campaign cover today as it is only authorized for DIs . At one time it was issued to every Marine.I did not earn one and would not wear one .

What about someone who is honorably discharged but wears a camo or digi cover ? I have a civil war era (reproduction) union cover . Is that illegal?

I think that you are missing the point... it IS issue gear in the current military so it becomes part of the law the LT posted.

if you are OVER analyzing what he said and applying it to something that makes your sound just fvcking retarded, then don't post... please.

but to point out something to you, you are right about it being issued to every Marine.... much like the MarPat cammies are Marine specific, they were to separate the Marines from the rest of them... had we not had them in WWI the germans probably wouldn't have retreated from our AO fearing our wrath.

and to symolize that wrath, who do you think gets to wear that wonderful icon???? only the first Marines you see after you sign your paperwork and leave mommy and daddy, that's who.

YAMMYAS!!

Thread Information