Loudonville native reflects on 26-year Marine career

Special to the News Journal • December 22, 2008

LOUDONVILLE -- Shortly after graduating from Loudonville High School, in 1981, Mark Brokaw joined the U.S. Marine Corps.

He recently retired from the Marines, but his life's path has triggered an example two sons have chosen to follow.

"I was always a very competitive person, and saw becoming a Marine as a challenge," Brokaw said from his home in Quantico, Va. "I wanted to see if I could do it."

He could and he did.

After Marine Corps Boot Camp at Parris Island, S.C., he served the Marines at seven duty stations over the next 26 years before retiring this fall.

Working as a drill instructor at Parris Island from 1990-92 was the highlight of that stretch.

"I would have done that longer, but at that time the Marine Corps limited Marines to just two years as a DI," he said.

He was selected Drill Instructor of the Year for the entire Marine Corps just after completing that assignment.

He also served at the Marine Staff Non-Commissioned Officer Academy in Okinawa, Japan, for three years. Other stops included working with a Marine Reserve Unit in Brook Park, Ohio, from 2003 to 2006, where he lead and prepared Marines for deployment to Iraq.

In chronological order, his assignments included Parris Island; Twenty-nine Palms, Calif.; Camp Pendleton, Calif.; Okinawa, Japan; back to Twenty-nine Palms; back to Parris Island; Cherry Point, N.C.; back to Okinawa, Japan; Norfolk, Va.; Brook Park, Ohio; and Quantico, Va.

His last assignment was Sgt. Mjr. of the Marine Corps' largest battalion, Headquarters and Service Battalion, Marine Corps Base, Quantico.

Over that time, he and his wife, formerly Marianne Michalovich of Butler and a Clear Fork High School graduate, have built a family of five children.

Mark, Jr., 23, is preparing to leave for Marine Officer Training in January after graduating with degrees in History and Classic Studies from Virginia Tech last May.

Daughter Melissa, 21, is a history-education major at the University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, Va.

Son Michael, 19, is in the Marines, currently a Lance Corporal and serving at Camp Lejeune, N.C.

Daughter Marie, 15, is a sophomore at the Quantico High School; and son Matthew, 14, an eighth grader at the Quantico Middle School.

He praised his sons, and other young people, for choosing the military as a start to their adult careers.

"The military is a great way to get started in life," he said. "Through service, the traits of discipline, responsibility, and commitment to finish a mission are imbedded. Whatever path the recruit follows, he or she is more apt to complete it, focusing on the theme of 'mission accomplishment.' "

Brokaw said this direction, plus a desire to serve their country, were the reasons two of his sons have chosen the Marines.

In retirement, Brokaw is serving with the Wounded Warrior Regiment, an organization charged with helping and supporting wounded and ill Marines across the country.

"My job is to see to it that Marines who have incurred service-related wounds, injuries, or illnesses, receive medical and pay benefits," he said. "My responsibility is to ensure that all of these Marines are taken care of throughout the phases of recovery.

"The position requires some travel, briefing commands to ensure they are knowledgeable on policies and procedures in regards to benefits."

Marianne, a licensed practical nurse, is the lead nurse at a Pediatric practice in Stafford, Virginia. She received her nurses training and LPN Degree at Cuyahoga Community College while he was stationed in Brook Park.

The Brokaws spend most of their free time following their children's athletic pursuits. All three sons are baseball players, Mark also played football, and younger brother Michael wrestled and played football. Matthew is playing basketball. Marie plays girls softball at Quantico High School.

At Loudonville High School, the elder Brokaw wrestled and played baseball under Coach Pat Pearl.

"Coach Pearl was an influential part of my high school years," Brokaw said. "I still reminisce about the great times at practices and games."

Brokaw also credits the upbringing, support and personal example of his father. He is the son of Jack Brokaw, who now lives in Bellville, and the late Vera Morton.

Ellie