Dog Tag on Boots - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    You'll eventually end up with multiple sets of dog tags.

And, it was a requirement with 24th MEU when I was with them in 1998-2000. Left boot.

Different commands, however, have different quirks and rules. Don't sweat the small stuff, your squad leader/NCOIC will square you away when you get to that point.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    We had to have them in both boots left and right, around neck. Some MOSs don't want you to wear them around your neck while working around things because the chain can get fried and then cook your neck. Like from batteries, electrical, static and so on. The Dog Tag it self can also get cooked from differant things and burn your body.

Oh ok cool.
    It just came to mind and decided to ask haha
    Thanks.

Wore mine around my neck for 20 years and never had a problem.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Popular trend when I was in was for Marines to get a tatoo identical to their dog tags; just below their arm pit. They called it a meat tag. Good artists did them chains and all with both tags.

That would be a sick tattoo

One in the left boot. Wore it there since I joined my first unit. Airborne operations require you to NOT wear them on your neck for the duration of the operation.

Quote Originally Posted by 119Wrestler View Post
    I thought you had 2 dog tags around your neck?
    If you deploy much you always want to have several extra tags. Even if you don't deploy much it is still good to have some extra.

We lace ours into our boots. Your not allowed to wear them around your neck when your working with HE might get caught in a spinning engine and get you pulled in

Quote Originally Posted by ZSKI View Post
    We lace ours into our boots. Your not allowed to wear them around your neck when your working with HE might get caught in a spinning engine and get you pulled in
    Non-offical SOP was to loop them through a belt loop and stuff them in a pocket in addition to the tag in the left boot.

I never wore one in my boot in Afghanistan, it doesn't matter, it's just an old tradition and has no real use anymore and everyone in your company knows who the hell you are. Nowadays we use zap codes for calling in CASEVACs and having your zap code written on your helmet, a card with your zap code in your left arm pocket or wherever your SOP requires, etc. is far more important than wearing dog tags. You want people to know your zap code, not your religion of preference, and you want people to know your zap code IMMEDIATELY, not to have to read your dogtags and then try and piece together the information to get your zap code.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete0331 View Post
    Non-offical SOP was to loop them through a belt loop and stuff them in a pocket in addition to the tag in the left boot.
    Im dead serious for this reason, command thought doing that made you look like a bag of ass when your working without a blouse on

Quote Originally Posted by Accord View Post
    I never wore one in my boot in Afghanistan, it doesn't matter, it's just an old tradition and has no real use anymore and everyone in your company knows who the hell you are. Nowadays we use zap codes for calling in CASEVACs and having your zap code written on your helmet, a card with your zap code in your left arm pocket or wherever your SOP requires, etc. is far more important than wearing dog tags. You want people to know your zap code, not your religion of preference, and you want people to know your zap code IMMEDIATELY, not to have to read your dogtags and then try and piece together the information to get your zap code.
    The zap codes you are talking about are a very good idea. We used them also. However, we had a HMMWV hit an IED that was large enough to change the orbital direction of the earth. There were 4 Marines in that vehicle. Two of them were identified pretty quickly. The other two took a little longer. We think we put the right parts in the right bag. Clothing was burnt so the zap tag and helmet cover were of no use. They were part of our scout sniper platoon and didn't wear dog tags at all. They thought they were to cool for that. I know and understand the reason behind it but there are ways of silenceing your tags.

My opinion is to use both means of identification when in the sandbox or any other conflict/war.

Thumbs up Tags

We had to put a tag in our left boot, in 2nd Tracks it was pretty much Battalion SOP at the time. Like all the other Marines said, it pretty much depends on the Unit, and what the Higher Ups want.

I keep mine in my boots. Don't wear mine around my neck though. I dumby cord it to my belt loop and put them in my pocket.

Thread Information